Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This might sound batsh*t crazy , laptop power button turning PC on

Options
  • 07-06-2015 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

This is the weirdest thing I've ever witnessed in all my life using computers.

I reached for my laptop this morning and pushed the power button, it turns on then a few seconds later so does my PC. I thought nothing of it, I let the laptop go into standby and turned off the pc.

10 minutes later I wake the laptop up, and same as before the PC turns itself on. At this stage I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with my electrical circuit, so I plug out the laptop and try again, the PC boots itself up again. I sat and amazement and did it another 4 or 5 times just to be sure, the timing is flawless

I turn off the wifi next, makes no difference. The pc isn't in a standby mode, its completely turned off and the only way to turn it on is by pressing the big button on my haf 932 case.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? How is waking my laptop up making my PC boot from a totally dead state

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Quantum entanglement?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Magown3 wrote: »

PC was physically powered off, not in standby.

Re-read that again and I'm wrong it can be turned off, but I turned off the wireless and the same thing happened

Just ran virus scans, all clean.

The only thing I can think of is my PC windows 7 activated today, but the windows 7 on my laptop is not so, erm, legit :)

But surely this couldn't cause this to happen, it's feckin telepathic!

Won't happen any longer after I turned the power switches on and off. There's a chance the network was still connected, but even then I doubt the old crap eircom netopia router is capable of such things, and I certainty didn't configure anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

unplug the desktop..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You probably had fast startup enabled recently, which is a hybrid state that's between standby and shutdown. That coupled with WOL without magic packet would do what you described.

• Advertisement

You probably had fast startup enabled recently, which is a hybrid state that's between standby and shutdown. That coupled with WOL without magic packet would do what you described.

I run windows 7

Overheal wrote: »
    unplug the desktop..

Because?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Because?

It's haunted

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

poltergeist_tv.jpg

lol ^

So can anyone offer an explanation? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Unplug the ethernet cable going into the PC, then switch the laptop on. Does the PC still come on? If not, it's most definitely WOL

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

28064212 wrote: »
    Unplug the ethernet cable going into the PC, then switch the laptop on. Does the PC still come on? If not, it's most definitely WOL

Move the PC to the far side of the Universe then switch the laptop on. Does the PC still come on? If it does it's most definitely Quantum Entanglement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Check for the following settings on the network adapters in the PC:

351527.JPG

This would be most likely candidate! Other than that, hire an exorcist.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

Anyone been messing with your computer or laptop? Installed a remote under your laptop power button and a receiver behind your pc power button? Pull out all connected peripherals from pc & laptop...

Advertisement