Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cooling fans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

These would be somewhat pointless as all they are doing is move around the already hot air inside.

You'd need something that connects to the outside ..i.e cut a hole into your van.

either a wind driven vent like this
    http://www.vanline-ni.com/roof-air-vents

or if you want the fan to also work when the vehicle is parked, a fan with an electric motor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If you have a van, have you insulated it? It really helps to keep it cool in the summer, just the silver stuff you attach with gaffer tape or carpet adhesive, usually underneath the ply if its lined.

Peasant is right about the fans just moving cool air around, I am going to get a couple of air vents fitted this summer, if I can find someone to do it - peasant, any ideas? :D

I saw a really good diy cooler last year, using some fans and a cool box, I'll see if I can find it again, basically you have to cut some holes in a cool box to fit the fans, put ice bags or bottles of frozen water in the cool box and then the fans blow that cold air out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

muddypaws wrote: »
    If you have a van, have you insulated it? It really helps to keep it cool in the summer, just the silver stuff you attach with gaffer tape or carpet adhesive, usually underneath the ply if its lined.

Peasant is right about the fans just moving cool hot air around, I am going to get a couple of air vents fitted this summer, if I can find someone to do it - peasant, any ideas? :D

Be careful with insulation ...it has to be done the right way. Done wrong it creates/stores condensation and rusts your van through in a jiffy.

As for fitting a cooling fan ..any garage that knows how to work a jigsaw should be able to...any place that actually converts commercials definitely is

peasant wrote: »
    Be careful with insulation ...it has to be done the right way. Done wrong it creates/stores condensation and rusts your van through in a jiffy.

As for fitting a cooling fan ..any garage that knows how to work a jigsaw should be able to...any place that actually converts commercials definitely is

using a jigsaw is one thing, fitting it properly so it doesn't leak is another :eek:

I found the 'redneck air conditioner' :)https://www.facebook.com/georgiak9/videos/10204373367161356/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hehe I knew I had read a post about this topic and couldn't remember if it was here or FB!! :D

My problem is that the car has great a/c (i've only had to press the max a/c button twice :p) but I have a hammock type cover (with wooden boards in it) across the back seat so it's stopping the air flow. I was looking a crate fans but once you buy the fan, ice thing AND car adaptor it costs a fortune. Think I'm going to try tubes and route the air from under the seats to the back seat and boot.... either that or attach a couple of fans to the mesh guard... I'll wait until it's serviced in a few weeks first before I start messing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

Thats brilliant.muddypaws, and van is boarded out, still looking, and came across this
    http://www.incarconnections.co.uk/van-ventilation-van-roof-vents-van-vent/low-profile-motorised-van-ventilator-dog-van.html
    any thoughts? looks like it would do the job
    Thanks

I've gone for 2 of these, on the advice of the man that fitted my dog crates in the van, he's installed 2 in his van, one for bringing air in, and one for blowing it out. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiamma-Turbo-Vent-Premium-White-Fan-Roof-Light-Caravan-Motorhome-Thermostat-12V-/291436311439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43daf5338f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Slightly OT, but I volunteer as a "dogsbody" for SARDA (Search And Rescue Dogs) Ireland, and one of the dog owners has recently bought an ex UK Police dog handlers car, a Ford Mondeo Estate. In addition to two custom kennels in the back it has a ventilator in the roof not too dissimilar to what is linked to above. Just thought I'd mention it as there may be some people here who could make use of such a vehicle. I don't know where he got it from but could ask if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

sdp wrote: »

I have one, they're not worth a curse!

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but I volunteer as a "dogsbody" for SARDA (Search And Rescue Dogs) Ireland, and one of the dog owners has recently bought an ex UK Police dog handlers car, a Ford Mondeo Estate. In addition to two custom kennels in the back it has a ventilator in the roof not too dissimilar to what is linked to above. Just thought I'd mention it as there may be some people here who could make use of such a vehicle. I don't know where he got it from but could ask if anyone's interested.

There are a couple of websites that sell off the ex police vehicles, including dog vans. Definitely worth looking at, as they will have been very well maintained.

I've gone for 2 of these, on the advice of the man that fitted my dog crates in the van, he's installed 2 in his van, one for bringing air in, and one for blowing it out. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiamma-Turbo-Vent-Premium-White-Fan-Roof-Light-Caravan-Motorhome-Thermostat-12V-/291436311439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43daf5338f

, Looks interesting, have you have them fitted yet? and do they work of your van battery? will look up more information on it,
    Thank you

sdp wrote: »
    , Looks interesting, have you have them fitted yet? and do they work of your van battery? will look up more information on it,
    Thank you

Not yet, they are being delivered to an argos in NI on Thursday for me to pick up (nothing is ever simple). I need to book the fitting in today, a crash repair/body shop in Sligo have said they can fit them for me, and can get the electrician.

I've been advised to have them connected to a leisure battery (my Transit comes with 2 batteries, so hopefully that will be ok) and to have them fused properly, with a splitter as someone else had a van catch fire when a fan was just wired straight to the battery without a fuse. It all sounds very technical - and expensive to me, but I'm going to be going to the UK a lot over the next year, lots and lots of driving with the dogs, so want to make sure they are safe and comfortable.

Not yet, they are being delivered to an argos in NI on Thursday for me to pick up (nothing is ever simple). I need to book the fitting in today, a crash repair/body shop in Sligo have said they can fit them for me, and can get the electrician.

I've been advised to have them connected to a leisure battery (my Transit comes with 2 batteries, so hopefully that will be ok) and to have them fused properly, with a splitter as someone else had a van catch fire when a fan was just wired straight to the battery without a fuse. It all sounds very technical - and expensive to me, but I'm going to be going to the UK a lot over the next year, lots and lots of driving with the dogs, so want to make sure they are safe and comfortable.

Well done, sounds tricky alright, but as you said worth it if dogs are ok :), I started looking into this more for short trips , but do travel round a lot to yards where he would to stay in van for about an hour before he can come out,so I leave him at home in summer months, would love to be able to take him all year round and know he would be cool enough .would you mind doing an update on this when its done please? as I don't know anyone else who's in the process of doing it, Many thanks

I've got the vents fitted, and am still in shock at how much it cost me :o It took 3 days in total, the first garage 'fitted' one, but didn't get it wired in, and felt they couldn't fit the front one, due to the ribs on the roof. I then managed to find an auto electrician who could fit the other one, and wire it all in, with an extra battery, relay, fuse etc.

I possibly went OTT with it, as I travel extensively with the dogs, including on ferries, so its good to know that even if the dogs are left on a warm car deck, they will be OK.

Great news, know what you mean about cost, have spoken to local garages :eek:
    but it will be great not to have to worry about them,
    they'll be the envy of the canine world :)
    Thank you for update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

what about a pet COOLING MAT. I read about them recently

http://www.amazon.com/The-Green-Pet-Shop-Cooling/dp/B0047WCCBW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

muddypaws, i'm based in sligo, can i ask you how much was the labour for the installation and if you just went to the auto electrician first would it have been cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

aonb wrote: »

Cooling mats are fine for around the house but I don't think they'd be much use for a car.

Zooplus have them back in stock if you're looking for one - I got a few last year for myself and friends and a good few people on here got them too!
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/waterproof_beds/cooling_pad/280452

aonb wrote: »

I just soak a towel in water and put it under the dog :D
    muddypaws, i'm based in sligo, can i ask you how much was the labour for the installation and if you just went to the auto electrician first would it have been cheaper?

I'll send you a pm.

The dogs and I spent the weekend in the van, I'm really impressed with how effective the fans were, and how long they lasted. I parked up at 10am on Saturday, drove about an hour and a half Saturday evening, then parked up again all day on Sunday. Fans were going the whole time the van was parked up, and worked the whole time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement