Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Clean install OEM. Cant get the ISO

• 07-06-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the ISO for Windows 7 Starter for my Acer Aspire One D257 netbook.

The digital river servers are no longer active and when I put my License Key (from the sticker underneath) into the new Recovery website I get as error saying that the Key is not valid as it's an OEM one and tells me to contact the vendor.

Anyone know how to do a clean OS install on an OEM laptop/netbook. I cant get my hands on a CD to extract the ISO for Win 7 Starter.

There is a recover partition and I've done a reinstall from that but it install a LOAD of bloatware when I do that.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Weirdly enough, I just went hunting for a repair disk, and instead managed to find this site about a minute before I saw your post.

There are links in there, but I don't know how legit they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

There is a recover partition and I've done a reinstall from that but it install a LOAD of bloatware when I do that.
    The advantage of the recovery partition method is you get the right drivers (though at this point they may be a bit out of date), the downside is the bloat.

You might give the PC Decrapifier a go if you decide to stick with the recovery image

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pc_de_crapifier.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 popart studio

Go to Microsoft software recovery, enter your product key, select language and download iso file.

microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Go to Microsoft software recovery, enter your product key, select language and download iso file.

microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
    Doesn't work with the OEM key on a sticker on the side of a HP/Dell or, as in this case, an Acer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Yeah. that doesn't work at all at all. Think I might just wait until the upgrade to windows 10 happens. They've said that you'll be able to clean install once the initial upgrade happens. How that'll work is a different story, although I'm still not sure OEM licenses are included.

• Advertisement

Yeah. that doesn't work at all at all. Think I might just wait until the upgrade to windows 10 happens. They've said that you'll be able to clean install once the initial upgrade happens. How that'll work is a different story, although I'm still not sure OEM licenses are included.
    OEM Licenses are included - probably 98% of PCs in ordinary users homes are OEM licensed, so it'd be a bit pointless to leave them out.

But the Clean Install will only be available AFTER you'd done a succesful upgrade. It's that upgrade process that will generate the Windows 10 license.

Yeah. I haven't found any confirmation of how the OEM licenses will work. I just assumed that's the way it would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the ISO for Windows 7 Starter for my Acer Aspire One D257 netbook.

The digital river servers are no longer active and when I put my License Key (from the sticker underneath) into the new Recovery website I get as error saying that the Key is not valid as it's an OEM one and tells me to contact the vendor.

Anyone know how to do a clean OS install on an OEM laptop/netbook. I cant get my hands on a CD to extract the ISO for Win 7 Starter.

Did you ever manage to track down a Win 7 disk ? - hard drive went on my laptop & although I have a licence key MS site says its OEM so I'm stuck

No. Never did find a way to get my hands on it. Just had to do a factory reset and then uninstall the crap that they put back on it. Going to do a full wipe with Win 10 being released soon. Apparently they'll let you do a clean install once you do the upgrade from another OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

All versions of 7 are available at getintopc.com

I've downloaded a couple of things from the site, it seems to be ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement