Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinea pig vet in Tipperary or Kilkenny

• 07-06-2015 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

I had my guinea pig with my regular vet on Friday. He sedated him and filed his teeth and I brought him home yesterday. I'm really not happy with the progress my piggy is making. My family has used this vet for years and he is wonderful with our dogs, but I don't think he's as knowledgeable about guinea pigs. I'd really like to get a second opinion. Does anyone know of a good guinea pig vet in Tipperary/Kilkenny or surrounding areas? I don't want to put too big a journey on the little guy but he's not eating and I'm really worried about him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Their teeth can be sore after filing and they may not want to eat much. However if your piggy is not eating at all, this is serious and considered an emergency, they go down hill quickly and won't last long if not eating at all.

Do you have or can get some syringe food like Oxbow Critical Care? I get mine from our vet and its great for situations like this. Or if you can't get any, can you mix some of the pigs nuggets with water and create a bit of a porridge, that will be easier for piggy to eat if it has sore teeth.

If you don't trust your vet then the very best piggy vet in Ireland is Bairbre O'Malley in Bray. I know its a bit of a distance for you but she really is worth it. Perhaps give her a call in the morning and they will be able to advise on whether the journey is suitable.

But, most important for the minute is making sure piggy is eating and pooping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Their teeth can be sore after filing and they may not want to eat much. However if your piggy is not eating at all, this is serious and considered an emergency, they go down hill quickly and won't last long if not eating at all.

Do you have or can get some syringe food like Oxbow Critical Care? I get mine from our vet and its great for situations like this. Or if you can't get any, can you mix some of the pigs nuggets with water and create a bit of a porridge, that will be easier for piggy to eat if it has sore teeth.

If you don't trust your vet then the very best piggy vet in Ireland is Bairbre O'Malley in Bray. I know its a bit of a distance for you but she really is worth it. Perhaps give her a call in the morning and they will be able to advise on whether the journey is suitable.

But, most important for the minute is making sure piggy is eating and pooping.

Thanks for the advice :) I've been syringing a paste into him every hour so far today. I soaked his pellets in water and mashed in a little bit of banana to make it more appealing. I've read great things about O'Malley, but it's roughly a 2.5 hour journey each way. I think there's two likely problems. Either he's in pain or the filing hasn't been done properly. I'm going to weigh him everyday and if the weight drops any further I'll have to chance another local vet. If I can build him up a little I'll bring him to the vet in Bray when he's a bit stronger.

Advertisement