Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Irish Query ... too late to drop to FL?

• 07-06-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, my son is currently sitting his leaving cert. He wants to drop to foundation Irish as he is not confident he will pass Ordinary level. He does not need Irish for his course as he sat Higher level English and is not using Irish for points. My concern is, he completed ordinary Oral exam earlier this year. How will droping to foundation effect the marks acquired from the Oral?

I'd appreciate any advise you may have, the Irish exam is tomorrow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭spl99

He can't drop down now. Foundation oral is different to the ordinary/higher oral. As far as I'm aware (we've been told at our school), it's far too late for dropping down now. He'll have to sit the ordinary papers and hope for the best. It sucks...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

He might not need OL Irish for points but he might need it for matriculation. What colleges is he applying to?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

Dropping is not an option as far as foundation level is concerned, it has a different oral exam and the marks from one exam are not transferable, so if he does sit that exam he will lose the marks the oral is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ssmullen

Thanks for the feedback. He is hoping to go to Carlow IT. English or Irish is a requirement for his course, so he is fine on that front. He spoke with his Principle on Friday and he doesnt see an issue with dropping at this stage as long as he notifies the school 10 mins before the exam starts, but I'll check this out tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the information.

Advertisement