Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing rent date

Options
  • 07-06-2015 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering about my rights as a tenant about changing the date my rent is due.

After switching jobs (with a much lower pay) my rent is due out the week before I get paid, leaving me with a very tight week.

Do I have any rights to change my rent due date under the circumstances

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What does your lease say? Contact the landlord and agent and ask can you pay just a week on your regular date then a month on the new date. I can't imagine that if they don't agree and you just go ahead with it it could be considered a major breach of contract, as long as you're still paying in advance for any days you're living there. But I'd still ask them as it's better to not piss anyone off.

Alternatively you could set up a savings account and start saving for three weeks worth of rent, once you have that pay a month's rent from your current account into this on the new date and pay the landlord from the savings account on the original date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

TheChizler wrote: »
    What does your lease say? Contact the landlord and agent and ask can you pay just a week on your regular date then a month on the new date. I can't imagine that if they don't agree and you just go ahead with it it could be considered a major breach of contract, as long as you're still paying in advance for any days you're living there. But I'd still ask them as it's better to not piss anyone off.

Alternatively you could set up a savings account and start saving for three weeks worth of rent, once you have that pay a month's rent from your current account into this on the new date and pay the landlord from the savings account on the original date.

I have to check the lease when I get home. What I was thinking of doing was paying the month plus a week on the new date but I think he would agree if I paid the week in advance then paid the full months rent on the new date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Budgeting aside if you're one of the many people who live payday to payday I really can't see why a landlord would have an issue if you wanted to pay an additional week. Perhaps approach it from a negotiation rather than a rights point of view.

Unless of course your landlord shares the same issue as you and the mortgage is due on a certain day.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

We changed our date from 27th of the month to the 29th of the month as pay comes in on 28th. I spoke to my landlord, explained why we wanted to change and paid an extra two days when we changed the date (28th and 29th). He didn't have a problem as long as he knew the money was coming in and when. Agree with MarkAnthony I'd see it as negotiation rather than rights.

Budgeting aside if you're one of the many people who live payday to payday I really can't see why a landlord would have an issue if you wanted to pay an additional week. Perhaps approach it from a negotiation rather than a rights point of view.

Unless of course your landlord shares the same issue as you and the mortgage is due on a certain day.

I was never a pay day to pay day person it's just with this job and unexpected major expenses for health reasons it just kinda came from nowhere.

He owns the house outright. No mortgage involved.

I think I'll approach it from the negotiation angle.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

pew wrote: »
    I was never a pay day to pay day person it's just with this job and unexpected major expenses for health reasons it just kinda came from nowhere.

He owns the house outright. No mortgage involved.

I think I'll approach it from the negotiation angle.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Apologies Pew, it was not meant to sound derogatory. Most people I know do it, I just got in the habit of transferring my spending money out each week and then it doesn't matter when the bills come out. That said I know it's not always that easy, and what works in theory sometimes goes wrong in practice, for me, usually after a couple of shandies! My point being I cant understand why the landlord wouldn't make getting the rent as easy as possible for all concerned.

Apologies Pew, it was not meant to sound derogatory. Most people I know do it, I just got in the habit of transferring my spending money out each week and then it doesn't matter when the bills come out. That said I know it's not always that easy, and what works in theory sometimes goes wrong in practice, for me, usually after a couple of shandies! My point being I cant understand why the landlord wouldn't make getting the rent as easy as possible for all concerned.

Oh I know I didn't take it like that

Advertisement