Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approx weight of +- 25cm Roach

Options
  • 07-06-2015 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭

Ok, I realise this is like asking how long a piece of string is but I've caught several good sized Roach which measure around 25cm from tip of nose to the back part of the tail.

Reading fishing forums it seems like Roach are described by weight not by length.

Therefore if a seasoned Roach fisherman could give me a rough weight estimate of a healthy 25cm Roach that would be appreciated.

Many thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Approx 12oz or 340gm. But it varies by body type

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Approx 12oz or 340gm. But it varies by body type

Bigger roach get bigger backs very hard to tell weight by the lenght. Your going to have to go back and weigh one 250mm is nearly a foot long roach. Seems like a very big roach to me. I've had roach over 2lb and I think there were around that lenght

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3Ez5tiDFDqo/TyKI4PUxMjI/AAAAAAAALFw/SToMLcHOG-8/s1600/Picture+51.png

This isn't the length/weight graph I use but it is close. And the only one I can find online.

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    Bigger roach get bigger backs very hard to tell weight by the lenght. Your going to have to go back and weigh one 250mm is nearly a foot long roach. Seems like a very big roach to me. I've had roach over 2lb and I think there were around that lenght

25cm is not nearly a foot. You'd have to add another 20% to get a foot.

A 2lb roach is about 14 inches or 35cm.

25cm is not nearly a foot. You'd have to add another 20% to get a foot.

A 2lb roach is about 14 inches or 35cm.

I'm not used to chopping roach up in 5 pieces, and I've never measured a fish. I just weigh them if they are worth it and put them back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

it will depend on the time of year too, a roach in april will weight more than in june, as it will have spawned.

5cm off a foot is 16.66% less fish thats close enough to nearly a foot to me.

5cm off a foot is 16.66% less fish thats close enough to nearly a foot to me.

25x20%= 5
    25+5= 30

16% is working back from 30 to 25.

That additional 5cm is 6ozs of a difference..

When we are talking mass rather than length a 20% variance on one dimension has a great impact.

25x20%= 5
    25+5= 30

16% is working back from 30 to 25.

That additional 5cm is 6ozs of a difference..

When we are talking mass rather than length a 20% variance on one dimension has a great impact.

Totally agree. I think when dealing with such a small fish your better off to weigh

Totally agree. I think when dealing with such a small fish your better off to weigh

Oh absolutely. Anything else is approximation bordering on guesswork. All anglers should carry scales.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

Oh absolutely. Anything else is approximation bordering on guesswork. All anglers should carry scales.

I thought the fish had them (I'll get my coat). :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your answers. :)

I thought the fish had them (I'll get my coat). :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your answers. :)

I knew somebody would say that as I typed!

Advertisement