Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server Build

Options
  • 07-06-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm back asking for advice here regards a server build, as I haven't a notion of what specs I should be looking for. Its gonna start off as a backup for my files and as a games server with streaming capabilities to android an my PC, and it'll probably be connected to a TV, if that makes any difference.

I genuinely am a total beginner with regards to this so hopefully I've made it clear.

The games server won't be holding more than 32 players.

Size isn't a huge concern, a mATX Midi tower is loads
    Colour doesn't matter either, pure black would be optimal
    Doesn't have to be silent but as always the quieter the better.

What is your budget? €600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Server and HTPC

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Was planning on using Ubuntu, but will use Windows if easier for games servers

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? Whenever I get sorted

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? None needed

I was thinking of a low TDP i3 or Pentium G3258 or G3220
    4gb RAM
    4tb Storage, 2x2tb in Raid 1 or 4x1tb in Raid 5 or 10 if that's preferable, or no RAID at all
    Hadn't a case in mind yet, or a board
    Small SSD for OS
    300-350w PSU is okay by my estimates
    Assuming a Radeon 7xxx series or GTX 750 level card would be enough, if Intel 4000 wasn't

Go easy on me if this is pure dung

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

On reading a bit more into it, decided the games servers would be minimal at best, the likes of ARK, with 16 or less players, and I wouldn't have multiple games running simultaneously

Bumping :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You will find the advice here will be limited to a certain degree, as most of us are hobbyists looking for desktops, most of which does not require too much resources or complexity.

ED-E and serephecus have built almost identical mini servers recently enough if you dig out their threads they might be informative. There are others on here that (i mostly assume) work with servers in industry and may be able to help. Unfortunately i cant.
    I have media centre (local 2tb media drive, on S1155 Pentium G630) under the tv which i occasionally stream video to laptop no issues, just using vlc.

That said never used in the scenario of streaming to multiple clients, and 95% is viewed on the tv

I went back a little on the forum I guess I'll have to go back further! I'll have a look anyways, thanks Lu

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I would suggest having a look around at other forums also, if you already haven't. Maybe reddit too?

• Advertisement

Yeah I might check out Toms later on, a basis is all I need to go on so I can arse my way into proficiency :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If a boiler hadnt clapped out on me recently i would be running an i3 4160,8gb ram and a 256gb ssd game server. The boiler is mostly paid for now so i can get back on track with the srever.

As it happens now im thinking of going with a i5 4460 as i was still on the fence about using the i3,its a good processor but the way things are going a genuine quad core might be worth the extra €60. The main use is going to be for Arma 3 so the i3 should have been fine but im guessing as games use more cores so will there servers.

Ill definitely be ordering in the next week or so. Dont know how long it will take me to get it all up and running as this is the first server ive built or set up so its a learnimg process for me.

Also i wont be leaving it on 24/7,hence the desktop components over server components. Maybe over a weekend ill leave it running but i cant see it being any longer than that at any givin time so im not to worried about electricity costs and such.

:o I think I grossly underestimated the power I'm going to need for games servers!

Might just tune it down to storage only if I want to live on anything more than beans and rice next year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

What sort of games are you planning to host servers for? Different ones have different hardware and OS requirements. You need to nail that down before looking at server specs.

Given that I've decided to throw games out the window Sere.

Had 2x2tb WD Red
    G3260 (only €1 more than the G3220)
    300w PSU
    Board
    And 4gb ram for €390, so I'll probably just throw in a ****ty case like the Zalman T4 to finish it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Fair enough. Other than game servers then, what are you planning on doing with it specifically? Future plans for storage, things to do, etc.?

Hosting my own backups as well as the parents business stuff, and some movies and MP3 streaming if I can be arsed setting that up.

When I head to college it'll likely gain a head and become the houses media centre as well as hosting my stuff. Probably not going to need more storage but I'd like to keep my options open.

There's an SSD for the OS too actually. I assume the motherboard RAID controller will be able to handle the two drives okay

Advertisement