Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving Cert - can subject requirements carry forward from year to year?

• 07-06-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Just wondering if I repeat, can I take the points from some subjects e.g. English and put it towards my points that I recieve when I repeat? Obviously it would have to be my best 6...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Just wondering if I repeat, can I take the points from some subjects e.g. English and put it towards my points that I recieve when I repeat? Obviously it would have to be my best 6...

Nope, it has to be the accumulated points in one year.

You can use subjects from one year to meet the requirements of a course however. For example if you fail maths this year and decide to just repeat that you can't then add those points to the points from the year before....but you do now have the maths requirement to get into college courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Nope, it has to be the accumulated points in one year.

You can use subjects from one year to meet the requirements of a course however. For example if you fail maths this year and decide to just repeat that you can't then add those points to the points from the year before....but you do now have the maths requirement to get into college courses.

Oh that makes sense ! Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 John David

If I met the requirement of my course last year (C3 in maths) and repeated this year but feel like I got a D or even lower, would the C3 from last year save me this year when it comes to meeting the requirement?

This is my repeat year and well, I think I might have to repeat a second time because I don't even think I got 30% on my maths paper 1 and that's being generous with the attempt marks. I could in theory still get it if I get over 85-90% on paper 2 but I don't think that's very likely although I will try.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

John David wrote: »
    If I met the requirement of my course last year (C3 in maths) and repeated this year but feel like I got a D or even lower, would the C3 from last year save me this year when it comes to meeting the requirement?

This is my repeat year and well, I think I might have to repeat a second time because I don't even think I got 30% on my maths paper 1 and that's being generous with the attempt marks. I could in theory still get it if I get over 85-90% on paper 2 but I don't think that's very likely although I will try.

Ya the paper was shocking Friday ...I definitely don't think I passed and paper 2 isn't gonna save me even if I get 100% probably! But I'd say your c3 from last year will save you. They will accept the requirements from last year if you met them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, see skippy's post above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ladderlad

Im a repeat aswell and was worried i would get less than my c3 last year. I contacted the sec and they said yes you can use last years grade for requirement but not points

Advertisement