Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my Desktop to a Gaming PC

Options
  • 07-06-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I'm Seamus from Donegal and I've always wanted to have that gaming PC that can run the lastest games on high settings, eg DayZ / Rust.

I have a desktop at home that was bought new in 2007, and let's just say it couldn't run much.

It was a HP Pavillon a6027.uk desktop, 2gb ddr2 ram, AMD 64 processor 2.3ghz dual core, nvidia 700 graphics card (Google model of PC to get more accurate details) 300v power supply .

I was hoping I could salvage at least the case from it ! , I know the processor, ram , motherboard , graphics card are all useless , there is a 300v powersupply and I am wondering is that too little for gaming components.

Furthermore , I would like some experienced help with upgrades for my PC , I would like somewhere in the following specs:
    Minimum 8gb ram
    3-4ghz quad core i5 or i7 processor
    Top quality graphics card (I'm unfamiliar with nvidia cards)
    Whatever motherboard is essential
    Good cooling system

I'd like to have a budget of €800 , how possible is this? All help would be very much appreciated !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Better off selling that and building a new one, you can get a fair machine for €800

300w is too little for anything except a very basic gaming machine, and the case is likely unsuitable for other motherboards

As for parts you could go for
    i5 4460 €175
    8gb RAM €50
    Antec One €40
    R9 290 €300
    ASRock Pro4 €80
    500w PSU €60
    1tb HDD €50
    Windows is €20

Just under €800, add an SSD if you can stretch at all

That'd handle all new games at 1080p Max 50+fps, and would last a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cathalibm

I built my pc around 3 weeks ago. Got the stuff from Dabs.ie

Case => €65
    240gb SSD €99.86
    Power Supply €95.43
    Motherboard €98.32
    16gig memory €125.43
    Processor i5 4690K €275.58 You get 5 free games with it.
    Terminal paste €5.49
    DvD Drive €13.57

Now I'm using my existing graphics card for the moment which is a amd 6870 1 gig
    but when i update I will recommend a 4gb card. Get the best you can afford.With amd cards go for a least a R9 280 and for an intel card go for GTX 960,970,980.

Try to get a legit copy of windows 7 or 8. Then you can get a free full copy of windows 10 when its released on 29th of July.

Total cost for the above excluding the software and the graphics card is €778.68

Best of Luck with your build

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What're the 5 games Cathal? Arkham Knight, The Witcher...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

What're the 5 games Cathal? Arkham Knight, The Witcher...?

CS:GO, Grid Autosport, World of Tanks, Lego Minifigures Online and Final Fantasy XIV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cathalibm wrote: »
    I built my pc around 3 weeks ago. Got the stuff from Dabs.ie

Case => €65
    240gb SSD €99.86
    Power Supply €95.43
    Motherboard €98.32
    16gig memory €125.43
    Processor i5 4690K €275.58 You get 5 free games with it.
    Terminal paste €5.49
    DvD Drive €13.57

Now I'm using my existing graphics card for the moment which is a amd 6870 1 gig
    but when i update I will recommend a 4gb card. Get the best you can afford.With amd cards go for a least a R9 280 and for an intel card go for GTX 960,970,980.

Try to get a legit copy of windows 7 or 8. Then you can get a free full copy of windows 10 when its released on 29th of July.

Total cost for the above excluding the software and the graphics card is €778.68

Best of Luck with your build

That's very unbalanced for a gaming machine, 16GB of Ram is overkill and a 750w PSU is definitely serious overkill. Unbalanced in the sense that you could have put that extra cash towards a graphics card or something else that would show far more benefit.

Digital Solitutes build is pretty much spot-on, you'd be running at current games at ultra settings at 1080p.

Definitely stretch to 850 and add in an SSD, even if it's just a 64GB one for the OS. Makes a huge difference.

Your old PC is worth about €60, so at least that would cover the SSD :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement