Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video to Chromecast App that supports AC3?

• 07-06-2015 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I picked up a Chromecast and surprised to find video streaming apps such as Allcast don't support AC3, which a lot of my video files are in.

I tried using Chromecast to cast my entire screen then play the video; the sound is heard but unfortunately as my device (Nexus 7 2012) is not supported, the picture itself gets pixellated.

With Allcast, the picture is fine, but no sound.

If anyone knows an app similar to Allcast but with AC3 support, let me know. (I realise I could convert my files but I'd rather not have two versions if possible.)

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Keith186

I use web video caster. Not sure if it does AC3 but its free so give it a shot. I don't have any ac3 files to test for you, not sure if I've even heard of that format before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Use Plex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

You need to use a transcoder to cast. Bubbleupnp works well for ac3 encoded video track transcoding.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thanks for that; I couldn't try Plex as it doesn't seem to work with local files until you sign up for a sub (€5 per month minimum). Bubbleupnp works grand - except I'm not sure why it has to transcode, doesn't Chromecast now support AC3? (I think the free version of Bubbleupnp only supports 20 mins of play but the full version is €3 which is fair enough.)

P.

Advertisement