Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug adapter

• 07-06-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Bought an electronic device online and need an adapter so I can use it here. It's got a us plug. I think the voltage is ok. Any suggestions where to pick one up locally

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I'd be heading down to Maplin to get a new power supply, not a fan of leaving an adapter plugged in constantly. In regards to picking up an adapter, you'll get a travel adapter in a lot of places like Easons, Curry's, PC World, Maplin, Argos

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

An adaptor is perfectly fine, a new power supply is unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

cant see from the angle of the pic. are the pins different sizes

try Maplins or maybe Tesco in the Cresent

I have a few here but they're round pin, the only 1 I have of that sort , have the 2 pins different size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Cheers lads... Couldn't find it on Argos website..

I'll take a spin down. It'll will only be used occasionally anyway

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Personally I'd be heading down to Maplin to get a new power supply, not a fan of leaving an adapter plugged in constantly. In regards to picking up an adapter, you'll get a travel adapter in a lot of places like Easons, Curry's, PC World, Maplin, Argos

Nothing wrong with those adapters. No more dangerous than anything else. Waste of money buying a new power supply if there is no need.

Nothing wrong with those adapters. No more dangerous than anything else. Waste of money buying a new power supply if there is no need.

It's just a personal thing, there's no sense or reason behind it, I just don't like the idea of an additional unit with electricity going through it.

It's just a personal thing, there's no sense or reason behind it, I just don't like the idea of an additional unit with electricity going through it.

Ah ya. Didn't mean to come across as blunt or anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

How is there an additional unit? The power supply pictured drops mains down to 10V DC. All the OP is looking for is a US to UK plug adapter for that.

How is there an additional unit? The power supply pictured drops mains down to 10V DC. All the OP is looking for is a US to UK plug adapter for that.

I'm just extremely paranoid, a massive pet peeve of mine is people that get extremely cheap USB chargers that are left plugged in 24/7, I just don't like the idea of something plugged in constantly especially as a converter. I don't have any reason for this, I just don't like it, I know I'm probably 100% wrong it's just an opinion really.

• Advertisement

I'm just extremely paranoid, a massive pet peeve of mine is people that get extremely cheap USB chargers that are left plugged in 24/7, I just don't like the idea of something plugged in constantly especially as a converter. I don't have any reason for this, I just don't like it, I know I'm probably 100% wrong it's just an opinion really.

Dunno if you heard about that big house on the NCR that burnt down a few weeks back? I work with a guy who's a friend of that family. A cheap USB charger from something they bought in lanzorote caused it. Have another friend whos parents house burnt to the ground because of an ambi pure air freshner thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Can't comment on the quality of the unit but can you not just cut off the US plug & stick a 3 pin plug on it instead?
    In the US, black is live, white is neutral if that's the colour of the wires if you go this route rather than an adapter, that's what I'd do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Can't comment on the quality of the unit but can you not just cut off the US plug & stick a 3 pin plug on it instead?
    In the US, black is live, white is neutral if that's the colour of the wires if you go this route rather than an adapter, that's what I'd do

Please disregard all of the above as it is not just a plug but a 10volt power supply and if you fitted a 3pin plug then you would be putting 220volts into a device designed to run on 10volts and boy o boy that would not be a good idea not to mention very dangerous

As to input to the power supply is rated at .25A you will have no problem using a suitable adapter
    You may even be able to pick up an adapter in one of the 2 Euro shops

The input to the device is 100 - 240 VAC, the output is 10VDC, my understanding is that the unit came with a US mains plug on the input & the OP wants to power it up from the mains here, if this is correct, then he can just change the US plug for a UK/IRE one and plug it into the mains as the unit is rated up to 240VAC

There is a difference between input & output

The input to the device is 100 - 240 VAC, the output is 10VDC, my understanding is that the unit came with a US mains plug on the input & the OP wants to power it up from the mains here, if this is correct, then he can just change the US plug for a UK/IRE one and plug it into the mains as the unit is rated up to 240VAC

There is indeed but you don't seem to know what it is. The transformer has a 230v AC input and outputs 10v DC to the device its powering. Its pretty much a standard unit just with different prongs. An adapter for the Irish/UK system is needed or else a new power supply. You can't just go chopping and changing

Oh I'm well aware of what it is, I personally wouldn't connect a device long term through a cheap travel adapter, the less connections the better in a circuit, it will be safer long term to remove the U.S. plug and replace with a UK/IRE ONE
    The unit is rated for 240 input, the output will be 10v whether input voltage is 120 or 240, there is no problem with this, it's hardly chopping & changing & it's a better solution than an adapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Adapter will be fine imho.

A plug adapter is just metal prongs and metal contacts to adapt from one physical configuration to another. No voltage changes or regualtion going on. You're more likely to have a ropey socket in the wall if you live in a celtic tiger special.

Sure, if you go really really cheap you could find something that might cause problems but something from a reputable retailer should do the job without issues. Boots travel adapter should give you piece of mind. I'm sure you can also get decent quality ones in Tesco, Maplin etc.

As previously mentioned - DO NOT wire it directly to mains by cutting off the AC-DC transformer and fitting a 3 pin plug!!!

Edit - I have several electronic devices bought with a euro plug. Some of them even came with this adapter supplied.
    I would be far more worried about electronics causing a problem rather than the mechanical quality of an adapter.
    41WiRNmujuL._SX300_.jpg

Lol, nobody suggested cutting or taking the step down transformer out of the circuit, couldn't see the pic properly, if the psu came with a U.S. power cord, (what I thought op meant)then it's fine to switch the plug top, if it's a sealed unit with two prongs sticking out of it, then no choice but adapter, sorry for confusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

LOL indeed

look at the image he posted

it doesn't have a plug ,

"your understanding" is incorrect (IMO)

• Advertisement

Oh I'm well aware of what it is, I personally wouldn't connect a device long term through a cheap travel adapter, the less connections the better in a circuit, it will be safer long term to remove the U.S. plug and replace with a UK/IRE ONE
    The unit is rated for 240 input, the output will be 10v whether input voltage is 120 or 240, there is no problem with this, it's hardly chopping & changing & it's a better solution than an adapter

get a shovel keep digging

orm0nd wrote: »
    get a shovel keep digging

Read #19

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*MOD NOTE Alright lads and girls, help the OP or take the handbags out to PM *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

yop wrote: »
    *MOD NOTE Alright lads and girls, help the OP or take the handbags out to PM *

** sneaks back in**

Got sorted in Argos lads
    thanks

** slowly backs out**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Dealz have them on William Street for €1.49

Advertisement