Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Checking your collection...

• 07-06-2015 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So I'm selling my Dreamcast collection: more details when it's ready, but it's going to take quite a while to get the details together. I've about 150 games to 'check' they work. So far, I've checked 5 (in 2 days). I spent 3 hours this morning playing Resident Evil Code Veronica, for goodness sake! And with every game, I think maybe I shouldn't sell this collection, because I really want to clear Floigan Brothers or remember how to do a backflip 360 on Dave Mirra BMX, but everything has been gathering dust for so many years, and I just don't have the room or time for it.

Can someone teach me how to be brutal, or better yet, just come around and check the other 145 games for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow
    I'd be gentle with the process.
    Have a look at the entire collection and, without playing them, select the 75 you really want to keep.
    Then, look at that pile and select the 40 that you must hang onto from that.
    Work your way down to 20 or 30 games you can't live without and box up the rest and put them away where you don't have easy access.
    Then see if you play the DC titles you have preserved.
    I have found that too much choice is unhealthy at times and the sheer number of ga es available means few get played, less played to any proper degree.
    If you rationalise the library then see if you play you might find it easier to sell the stuff you don't need and develop a new love affair for the remainder and the console itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

All true, Ciderman, but I think I'd much rather see it go to a good home where it will be played rather than locked up in an attic. I don't play games at all at the moment (apart from Cities Skylines) and I think my love for the games is based more on nostalgia than any sort of technical brilliance - most the games are very simplistic compared to today's offerings, and I have no interest in 99.9% of today's offerings. I think whittling it down as you say means I'll end up with 20 games sitting in a cupboard (along with all 3 consoles, cos some of the games are JP and some are NTSC) and then I've got to keep the guns because Confidential Mission, and the steering wheel etc etc.

Best to just pull the bandaid off....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Shenmue, Ikaruga and Rez have more depth and are better than 99.9% of today's offerings. Not nostalgia, just damn fine gaming ;)

Best way to be brutal? Just sell it all untested. I seriously doubt the games aren't working. TBH I've sold mountains of stuff over the years and can't say I've tested all of it. If I had the game it's whole life, I look after it and there were no mad scratches on the bottom, I'd assume it's grand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, when the time comes we've a great marketplace here.
    Just conform to the template there and avoid the lowball merchants on Adverts.

I spotted that yesterday, tks Ciderman. I'll be trying here just to avoid the whole "I'll give you a tenner", "no thanks, it's 20 quid", "I'll give you a fiver" nonsense. I'm going to follow o1s1n's advice and just check for cracks, I think. I still need to test all my consoles and all of the accessories I have.

• Advertisement

swatch_article_landscape_vulture_1_b382.jpg

dormouse_1508470c.jpg

deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Dreamcast games you say? ....

/subscribe

Man, looking up games on eBay to get prices is a weird experience. It's finding those games you've cherished are not worth diddly (Ecco the Dolphin, maybe a fiver, even sealed) while stuff you can't even remember buying is now worth silly money (Cannon Spike, 85+ STG). And the pricing is all over the place with things like Samba de Amigo and Seaman. At least Rez was worth buying all those years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Make sure you tick the completed listings box to see what they have actually sold for, it'll give you a better idea of their current value.

Add or subtract depending on their condition.

Oh yeah, the first time I did a search, it showed the buy it nows first, and I was like "boom, I'm rich!". :D

Advertisement