Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help speed me up!

• 07-06-2015 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭

So, I'm tipping away on the bike, but don't seem to be getting any faster. I'm ~86kg, and can average 27km/h (28km/h on a good day) over 100km on yer bog standard roads of middle Eire, on yer bog standard aluminium frame bike. I've been doing some interval stuff, and tempo spins as well. A local ironman gave me some advice there.

How can I up my speed? What do I need to do. I'm not going to be going racing or anything like that, but wouldn't mind averaging over the 30km/h for the long spins

Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Join a cycling club. You'll find getting out for regular long spins will bring on your speed.

Also it should be noted that a lot of lads with a 30+ average over 100km will be travelling in a group which makes things much easier.

I'd be happy with 28 ave over 100km depending on the terrain of course if it's pan flat obviously 30 should be more achievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Join a cycling club. You'll find getting out for regular long spins will bring on your speed.

Also it should be noted that a lot of lads with a 30+ average over 100km will be travelling in a group which makes things much easier.

I'd be happy with 28 ave over 100km depending on the terrain of course if it's pan flat obviously 30 should be more achievable.

Good advice, but unfortunately my work times don't coincide with the local clubs when they go on spins :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Good advice, but unfortunately my work times don't coincide with the local clubs when they go on spins :(

While the official club spin times mighn't suit you, in our club lots of people do shift work so mid week there'd be unofficial groups going out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I read an apt line an Eddie Merckx book
    ... Simply by pressing a little harder on the pedals. Rather than making an intentional, dramatic attack, he ratcheted up the pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

To put it simply, to ride faster you need to train riding faster.

During the 100k rides, take blocks of twenty minutes when you focus on bringing your speed up. Focus on cadence, getting into a good position on the bike, pushing on the pedals.

Not knowing anything about you, but in my experience lots of cyclists spend lots of time 'cycling', simply cruising along (ok cruising is not really the word but I mean not going hard enough). While that is fine, nothing at all wrong with it, and 100k at 27k is nothing to be sniffed at, if you want to get faster you need to teach your body how to cycle in a different rhythm.

As mentioned, getting some riding buddies is always useful as it allows you to share the workload but if they are slightly stronger than you it will force you to push harder. Even if you are evenly managed, I always find that there are times in any cycle when others are going better and you need to get you head down and force yourself through the sticky patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Leroy42 wrote: »
    To put it simply, to ride faster to you to train riding faster.

During the 100k rides, take blocks of twenty minutes when you focus on bringing your speed up. Focus on cadence, getting into a good position on the bike, pushing on the pedals.

Not knowing anything about you, but in my experience lots of cyclists spend lots of time 'cycling', simply cruising along (ok cruising is not really the word but I mean not going hard enough). While that is fine, nothing at all wrong with it, and 100k at 27k is nothing to be sniffed at, if you want to get faster you need to teach your body how to cycle in a different rhythm.

As mentioned, getting some riding buddies is always useful as it allows you to share the workload but if they are slightly stronger than you it will force you to push harder. Even if you are evenly managed, I always find that there are times in any cycle when others are going better and you need to get you head down and force yourself through the sticky patch.

Essentially he needs to do some intervals.

Also for the OP I wouldn't be getting too bogged down on avg speeds and the likes. I know that for the top lads in our club(lads who have completed the Ras) if you looked at their avg speeds for most of their training spins on strava that they generally wouldn't be over about 28/29kph. However if you actually look at their data you will see that they have periods where speed could be well over 40kph for 5/10mins followed by recovery periods of say 5/10mins at 20/25kph. Also things like terrain and weather tend to impact on the overall avg speed as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Lots of average speeds you see people post are utterly false....

28k/hr over 100k is decent going...lots of guys who post a 30k/hr within a group spin would struggle to get over 26-27k/hr on their own....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Try to get more aerodynmaic. You may initially go slower but ultimately end up faster after a few weeks of practice.

001bd9d9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Solo speeds really mean nothing and comparing your speeds to other people on strava is like comparing apples to oranges as terrain, wind etc all make big differences.

I was in training for Mizen to Malin last year, my average speeds on my training spins was roughly 27/28kmph. I done a 120kmph sportive during the training and my average speed was 30kmph for it.

During the Mizen to Malin run, I had averages of 34kmph for distances of 75kmph which I know I know I could never manage one own but in a group of 20 it's much easier.

My speed this year is back down to 26/27kmph but I know it'll be faster on group spins/cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

What kind of ave speed on a solo training spin would you have to be at before you think a person would be ready to take part in a A4 race I know most ave. Speed on races are about 40k

• Advertisement

What kind of ave speed on a solo training spin would you have to be at before you think a person would be ready to take part in a A4 race I know most ave. Speed on races are about 40k

If you can manage 28-30 on your own you'll be able for A4 racing. Loads of lads can't manage that and still take part rolling around in the bunch.

iwillhtfu wrote:
    If you can manage 28-30 on your own you'll be able for A4 racing. Loads of lads can't manage that and still take part rolling around in the bunch.

Really that's interesting I was thinking that a person would have to be up to about a ave. 32-34 solo to be able to stay with the bunch on the day of the race

Really that's interesting I was thinking that a person would have to be up to about a ave. 32-34 solo to be able to stay with the bunch on the day of the race

Nah I know plenty of lads I'd drop if we were out as a pair and they race A4 although I'd use the term race loosely. I would be nowhere close to being a strong cyclist either tbh.

In saying that there'll be plenty of lads that are much stronger it all depends on the race.

The Des Hanlon for instance is a tough one with plenty of climbing where as the mondelo races are flat and fast and require good bike handling skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

It's not about average speed but even if it was, you wouldn't need to be anything like as strong as that.

A clubmate of mine rocked up to his first open race yesterday after years on the bike (bit of club league racing, sportives etc, knows what he's doing). While he didn't say it beforehand, I knew he thought he was going to be dropped. He got around no bother and opened up the sprint nicely for another clubmate of ours who got second.

Anyway, the point of that is to stop dithering and go racing. You'll be grand and even if you're not, you'll get better and then you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I use these high / low cadence drills .... Not sure how much they help though :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEpIKmWwM0w

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

So, I'm tipping away on the bike, but don't seem to be getting any faster. I'm ~86kg, and can average 27km/h (28km/h on a good day) over 100km on yer bog standard roads of middle Eire, on yer bog standard aluminium frame bike. I've been doing some interval stuff, and tempo spins as well. A local ironman gave me some advice there.

How can I up my speed? What do I need to do. I'm not going to be going racing or anything like that, but wouldn't mind averaging over the 30km/h for the long spins

Advice?

Do you have a turbo trainer? Some intervals at ftp or above in a defined program will do wonders?

Also what's your height/weight, losing weight is like free speed if that is feasible at your current weight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

JohnBee wrote: »
    Do you have a turbo trainer? Some intervals at ftp or above in a defined program will do wonders?

Also what's your height/weight, losing weight is like free speed if that is feasible at your current weight!

No turbo trainer - I have a road! And what is ftp?
    I usually go 3 times per week. Current level is:
    1. 12 x Intervals (1 min max effort and cadence, 3 mins recovery)
    2. 6 x Tempo (10mins in HR zone4, 2 mins recovery)
    3. Long spin ~100km in zone 2, low zone 3

Weight is ~86kg. height 184cm. Maybe another 1/2kg to lose, I'm a big build of a chap

iwillhtfu wrote:
    The Des Hanlon for instance is a tough one with plenty of climbing where as the mondelo races are flat and fast and require good bike handling skills.

Would the Mondello race be a bad one for a beginner racer because of the high pace and corners or would one of the road races be better to have a go at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

No turbo trainer - I have a road! And what is ftp?
    I usually go 3 times per week. Current level is:
    1. 12 x Intervals (1 min max effort and cadence, 3 mins recovery)
    2. 6 x Tempo (10mins in HR zone4, 2 mins recovery)
    3. Long spin ~100km in zone 2, low zone 3

Weight is ~86kg. height 184cm. Maybe another 1/2kg to lose, I'm a big build of a chap

If you're riding flat areas like you say then your weight has little bearing on it. I'm roughly same dimensions as yourself and can hold close to or over 40kmh for a few km. if you really want greater average speed you'll need to keep plugging away at the intervals. If you're not racing though, I don't see the point. You'll getthere with time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Would the Mondello race be a bad one for a beginner racer because of the high pace and corners or would one of the road races be better to have a go at

Yes, it would be a bad one for beginners. This question of how fast must you be to race comes up all the time in the forum. Do a search. It'll be

Do a club league where possible to learn how to ride in a bunch
    Stop worrying about avg speed and just try it

• Advertisement
Advertisement