Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping dogs out of the garden?

Options
  • 07-06-2015 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked before so maybe someone can link me to a thread if it has.
    It's a mixed vegetable and lawn/shrub garden etc. and fencing isn't an option. One dog keeps taking things and owner not interested.
    Any practical remedies welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Shotgun :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Hi Ho wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked before so maybe someone can link me to a thread if it has.
    It's a mixed vegetable and lawn/shrub garden etc. and fencing isn't an option. One dog keeps taking things and owner not interested.
    Any practical remedies welcome.

Liberal dosing of ground pepper might help. Or anything that will literally get up their nose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

KAGY wrote: »
    Liberal dosing of ground pepper might help. Or anything that will literally get up their nose.

Chasing them at every opportunity might help to show you're the alpha dog depending on their temperament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

KAGY wrote: »
    Chasing them at every opportunity might help to show you're the alpha dog depending on their temperament.

You know that alpha dog stuff is complete rubbish and the theories surrounding it were disproven by science years ago? Even David Mech who carried out the original studies rolled back and admitted he was wrong.

OP, given that the dog is trespassing and allowed to roam, you are well within your rights to call the local dog warden & get the dog impounded. It may not be good for neighbour relations but they don't sound as if they're particularly good neighbours given the circumstances. Even a visit from the dog warden with the threat of a fine for non compliance with the law might give them the shock they need to keep the dog in. Given that it's allowed roam to your garden it's safe to say it may cause a road accident, or even worry sheep depending on your location.

Advertisement