Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eating while training

Options
  • 07-06-2015 6:50pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭

hi guys,

doing the moxie adventure race this year in blessington. Just a quick question how do you guys supress your hunger. I find im always feeling hungry. Im a stocky lad and cant seem to get the weight down under 85kgs and im 5ft9. do you guys have any suggestions. I have also done the KAD 70k so not a complete beginner.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hunger during the event, or hunger every day in an effort to lose weight before the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Fuelling correctly is key. Eating the correct foods should make you feel full and allow you to access the energy stores easily.

I dropped 6kg in the past 6 months through a change in eating habits. Training stayed about the same intensity and still have about the same amount of meals etc but switched the types of food. (85kg-79kg)

Typically I eat about 6 times a day. 8 (yogurt and maybe musli),10 (bagel, salad, salami),1 (pasta or soup or left over from dinner), 3 (fruit and nuts), 6(main meal normally chicken based or pork/beef mince cooked from scratch with little preservatives and lots of veg),9 (tea and fruit or seeds,nuts etc)

At the weekend itsna little different and probably a bit of cheating but musli in the morning before training an Irish breakfast cooked on the grill when I get back and main meal in the evening with a snack again about 9 or 10.

By switching from snacking on rubbish to fruit, veg and protein based nuts and seeds and ensuring to have a breakfast I've found myself less hungry feeling and eating the correct foods rather than convenient food.

Having healthy snacks around the house helped with that too and making sure to try and eat a little and often helps me not snack on bad food between meals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Protein, protein, protein is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »
    Protein, protein, protein is the answer.

Coupled with the realisation that training for triathlon does not mean you can eat what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

tunney wrote: »
    Coupled with the realisation that training for triathlon does not mean you can eat what you like.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Brillant guys thanks for the help guys , Its mailnly hunger while training for an event that I find is killing me , I think it may be down to snacking on the wrong foods and maybe eating to much on the bigger meals as I am starving when it comes to it ! thanks 68 lost souls you have seemed to hit the nail on the head with what i need to do.

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    Brillant guys thanks for the help guys , Its mailnly hunger while training for an event that I find is killing me , I think it may be down to snacking on the wrong foods and maybe eating to much on the bigger meals as I am starving when it comes to it ! thanks 68 lost souls you have seemed to hit the nail on the head with what i need to do.

Take on board what the others said too, protein is key to feeling fuller or longer.

If snacking on nuts and seeds try and go unprocessed so they aren't caked in bad food stuffs, normally cheaper too. I go to the Asian food market and get a big bag of raw nuts with skins still on and eat them in several sittings.

Pardon me OP I have a habit of being blunt and it does take a while to get accustomed to I am told or there is always the ignores list for me.

You're chunky. You want to not be chunky. That means eating less and exercising more.

Ultimately to lose weight you need to eat less calories than you use. This will result in feelings of hunger. As much as people want to be nice and dress it up - you will be hungry.

Drink water, avoid calorie dense foods (such as nuts). Get a protein shake. Substitute your afternoon snack for one. Drink more water. Embrace the hunger.

think-f786edf72e1a1c60df50417372f30153_h.jpg

Also :

"The trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. Then you know you're within 10 pounds. If they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. When they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight."

While Tunney you do have a point that exercise will make you feel hungry and you need to work off more than you take in its important to get the balance right and ensure you are eating the right calories. Cutting out too much and exercising will mean you end up getting sick and also feel lethargic and therefore give up training.

It's important to be happy in yourself as well and make it not seam like a chore. Counting calories and everything you put in can be off putting but being mindful of what you eat and changing habits will be a lot easier and as you see improvements you will be encouraged to do more.

What I would do is keep a food diary for a fortnight. Then review it. Look for the patterns in bad habits and ask why these happening. Boredom? Habit? Unwarranted review? Craving due to missed meals?

Also 2-3 litres of water a day.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

"The trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. Then you know you're within 10 pounds. If they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. When they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight."

you gave me a good owl giggle on that one !! I will take all your information and put it to good use hopefully in a year or so i can have a look back and laugh at this post !

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

tunney wrote: »

And when your Mother says "your looking well" its time to train double, eat half and certainly you are a long way from race shape!!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I tried something a bit different and cut out the carbs as much as I can. I try to keep carbs under 50-60g per day and less in the 2-3 days leading up to a race. This means I can have a normal breakfast of bacon, eggs and coffee, then drink only water during the race and not feel hungry. My energy levels are good the whole time too. It takes a couple of months to get used to though.
    I've done ARs of over 6 hours and a marathon this way and loved it - still not hungry at the finish line.
    (Also got a marathon PB too)

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I tried something a bit different and cut out the carbs as much as I can. I try to keep carbs under 50-60g per day and less in the 2-3 days leading up to a race. This means I can have a normal breakfast of bacon, eggs and coffee, then drink only water during the race and not feel hungry. My energy levels are good the whole time too. It takes a couple of months to get used to though.
    I've done ARs of over 6 hours and a marathon this way and loved it - still not hungry at the finish line.
    (Also got a marathon PB too)

It sounds like you have managed to adapt to being a fat burner which can be difficult to do depending on the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

It sounds like you have managed to adapt to being a fat burner which can be difficult to do depending on the person.

Yes, you do have to be pretty strict about it.

Advertisement