Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 JC Maths Paper 2 - all levels - June 8th 2015***

Options
  • 07-06-2015 7:00pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭

For discussion of the exams AFTER they have been held.

Please indicate which level paper you are talking about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DaleyBlind

HL. Once again, another easy maths paper I thought. In my opinion, P2 was even easier than P1.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

HL. Got 298/300 in my mocks. This paper was much easier than that. There wasnt even a formal proof on the paper, just that sorry excuse of a parallelogram one.

Because of this, the marking scheme will be made harsher. Top students who forgot their units will get lower marks than weak students who remembered to put them in as a result. I feel that is very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Higher level. Thought that was very easy again, except for the very last question.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Kbvdpo

Thought it was ok! Idid them all ,but unsure if they were all correct... What were the answers for q13 & the last part of q 14?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 greenwhale

I actually thought the higher level paper was difficult enough. I went completely blank for the first hour, and I barely managed all the trigonometry sections. Even worse, since the marking scheme will probably be very harsh, and chance I had of keeping the A I got in the mocks is completely gone.

Also, what even was that last question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 DaleyBlind

For the last question you had to multiply your answer in the first part by 3 and then equal it to the formula. So
    4.5Π x 3 = 13.5Π
    Πr³ x 4/3 = 13.5 Π
    r³ = 81/8
    r = ³√3 x ³√27 / ³√8
    r = 3 ³√3 / 2

Sorry if it looks unclear. Π is pi and ³√ is square cubed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ylroy

greenwhale wrote: »
    I actually thought the higher level paper was difficult enough. I went completely blank for the first hour, and I barely managed all the trigonometry sections. Even worse, since the marking scheme will probably be very harsh, and chance I had of keeping the A I got in the mocks is completely gone.

Also, what even was that last question?

Based on my classmates who got pretty good grades on the mocks, apparently, you had to measure the radius of the cylindrical dam using your ruler and multiply it by two. All I did was sub in twenty as the radius, haha.

HL-The questions were okay, but since I didn't revise the course enough I got the coordinate geometry question wrong as I find it very confusing. I hope that question doesn't have that much marks.

ylroy wrote: »
    Based on my classmates who got pretty good grades on the mocks, apparently, you had to measure the radius of the cylindrical dam using your ruler and multiply it by two. All I did was sub in twenty as the radius, haha.

Okay, thanks. I just kinda made up some numbers and hoped it was okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ylroy

DaleyBlind wrote: »
    For the last question you had to multiply your answer in the first part by 3 and then equal it to the formula. So
    4.5Π x 3 = 13.5Π
    Πr³ x 4/3 = 13.5 Π
    r³ = 81/8
    r = ³√3 x ³√27 / ³√8
    r = 3 ³√3 / 2

All I did was radius cubed root and the three brackets three over 4, it turns out to be 4.5 which is three times bigger than the volume of the smaller cylinder which is 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

For Q13, you has to find the scale that he used for the height by measuring it physically.

After that's done, find the diameter of the cylinder and use that previous scale to find it in meters.

You now have enough measurements and the cylinder formula can be complete.
    I got 400m cubed and a few of my other friends got it too. What did everyone else get for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 frans123

i think i got 200m squared

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭lundrum

I got 353 metres squared I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭theflamingpig

I didn't know you had to measure the radius, I thought it was a mistake so I just took a guess.

haiyna wrote: »
    I got 400m squared and a few of my other friends got it too. What did everyone else get for that?

Yeah, I got 400m squares too. It was the question after that, about the sphere, that I was unsure of.

4.5Π x 3 = 13.5Π
    Πr³ x 4/3 = 13.5 Π
    r³ = 81/8
    r = ³√3 x ³√27 / ³√8
    r = 3 ³√3 / 2

Thanks, I think I get it now. I was doing it right at the start, but half way through I completely messed up. Hopefully I'll get some attempt marks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pasheee

Higher Level.

Oh dear. I found paper 1 relatively easy but after paper 2, I feel like my straight D average in HL Maths could be in serious trouble.

4.5Π x 3 = 13.5Π
    Πr³ x 4/3 = 13.5 Π
    r³ = 81/8
    r = ³√3 x ³√27 / ³√8
    r = 3 ³√3 / 2

Got down r³ = 81/8, however, I then did r = ³√81/8 which left me with a decimal number. Thanks for the solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭patrickLouth1

greenwhale wrote: »
    Yeah, I got 400m squares too. It was the question after that, about the sphere, that I was unsure of.

What question is this and what part?

What question is this and what part?

The one with the water tank. It was the second last question I think and the last part.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭patrickLouth1

gazump123 wrote: »
    The one with the water tank. It was the second last question I think and the last part.

What did you get for the very last part of the water tank one

• Advertisement

What did you get for the very last part of the water tank one

400m cubed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Kbvdpo

HL What were the answers for the 3 data questions for the geography teachers? (what type of data was it, discrete, continuous etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Number110

haiyna wrote: »
    For Q13, you has to find the scale that he used for the height by measuring it physically.

After that's done, find the diameter of the cylinder and use that previous scale to find it in meters.

I got 400m squared and a few of my other friends got it too. What did everyone else get for that?

Since it was looking for volume, would it not be 400 m cubed?

Number110 wrote:
    Since it was looking for volume, would it not be 400 m cubed?

Thanks for that, I was supposed to say 400m cubed. I'll fix it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gj kg hjjjj

Hey guys I made a mistake in the last question I squared instead of cubing. Will I be penalised twice also in the second question

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gj kg hjjjj

Hey guys I made a mistake in the last question I squared instead of cubing. Will I be penalised twice also in the second question

Will I get any marks for writing the formula too?

Will I get any marks for writing the formula too?

You'll definitely get a lot of marks if you did everything right up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kikiod

What measurement did you get for the radius to get 400 cubed??

Kikiod wrote: »
    What measurement did you get for the radius to get 400 cubed??

Around 5.3 I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement