Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fetac/Cao 2015

• 07-06-2015 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

I recently got my results from my PLC level 5 course, out of the core 8 modules I got 300 points out of 400 full award!

I think lcfe have an agreement with LIT about placements!

My first choice is Marketing & Management Level 8 in LIT! Which is around 280 points if I'm correct.

How does the CAO work in regards to Fetac, Do I get offered in Round 0/1? Do I have a good chance of getting in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I did two years at LCFE and got approx 330 points (after I'd worked out how to convert module credits into CAO points!).

My first (and only) choice course in LIT had a cut-off of 320 if I remember rightly. I received an offer in the first week of August and four weeks later started first year. Out of 700 applications, only 40 places were available.

I couldn't comment on whether you have a chance of getting in or not because everyone's situation is different.

I suspect that the final decision on who is awarded a place on a course isn't solely down to CAO points. A while back I met someone who worked in admissions at GMIT who told me that it's not just about numbers, it's about picking people that are most likely to actually make it through to the end, and not drop out by Christmas!

In my course there's a mix of people fresh out of secondary school and a good number of FETAC/VTOS graduates who've returned to education a few years (or decades!) after the leaving cert. There's also a fair few kids in my class who don't seem to take it seriously at all. Possibly because they're only doing it to keep the parents happy....;)

By looking at a person's education history as well as points, I imagine it'd be easier for the admissions board to decide who really deserves a place, and who is serious about committing to a four year course. My leaving cert was awful - 90 points! I didn't give a rat's arse at the time, and took a couple of years off....did a bit of travelling and bumming around and then came home and got stuck in to FETAC 5 and 6. Maybe I got the place in LIT because it was obvious from my history that I was committed to progressing?

Who knows, I'm just happy to be there. Got my first year results the other day, 71% GPA, gonna push harder next term, try get it to 80.

Best of luck to you, whatever happens!

Advertisement