Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping to OL Irish tomorrow

• 07-06-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭

So I've decided to drop to ordinary level Irish tomorrow but I haven't a clue of how the paper goes and the differences between higher and ordinary etc. would someone pleaSe talk me through it and draw my attention to things I need to know about the paper and its structure
    Please I'd really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

Almen11 wrote: »
    So I've decided to drop to ordinary level Irish tomorrow but I haven't a clue of how the paper goes and the differences between higher and ordinary etc. would someone pleaSe talk me through it and draw my attention to things I need to know about the paper and its structure

If you turn up, you have already passed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Obviously this is not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

I'm aiming for an A now considering I have to count it for points and have been doing higher for 6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The Pros are the same, as is the poetry. The main bits of writing are a letter, story or general composition, which is normally based on Oral topics

If you've been managing in HL then you'll breeze the paper, I'd recommend having a look at some papers from past years to get an idea of the questions asked. Its a fairly simple exam if your any level of Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Paper One consists of the aural and two written pieces. The aural is the same as HL but we will get easier questions, same tape and duration etc.

Then you must choose one from A, B, C and D. You must only do two. The easiest (for most) are A (Giota/Blag) and C (Litir).

These should be 1-1.5A4 pages maximum. Given that you have done HL for 6 years Paper 1 will be fine.

Paper 2 has two comprehensions, two studied poems to answer on and finally two studied stories to answer on.

Just go onto examinations.ie tonight to get a feel for the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 At_Night

I'm aiming for an A now considering I have to count it for points and have been doing higher for 6 years
    If I could get an A in ordinary I would do honours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Think about it a good bit before you do decide to do the ordinary level. Remember that the oral is 40% regardless of your level, so getting an A in OL won't be an easy task at all unless you think your oral went really really well. Getting a B/C in HL might actually be easier than getting an A in OL.

I don't really think I will be able to get higher than a C1 or higher in Higher level. I'm soooo unprepared for what higher level demands i.e the ceapadoireacht and the detail needed for pros and poetry and gafa. I've had a look at the papers and they don't look too bad at all and I definitely think I'd be able for an A. Only, I haven't studied caca milis or seal i neapail because I did gafa.. will this be a problem?

also, English and Home Ec went a lot better than I expected and I think I may have gotten higher grades than what I had previously thought I could get, hence why I'm not feeling so dependent on getting a specific grade in HL Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't really think I will be able to get higher than a C1 or higher in Higher level. I'm soooo unprepared for what higher level demands i.e the ceapadoireacht and the detail needed for pros and poetry and gafa. I've had a look at the papers and they don't look too bad at all and I definitely think I'd be able for an A. Only, I haven't studied caca milis or seal i neapail because I did gafa.. will this be a problem?
    I have a simple question though: if you think you can get a C in HL, why are you dropping?

If you were saying "I doubt I will pass" I would understand it.

I have a simple question though: if you think you can get a C in HL, why are you dropping?

If you were saying "I doubt I will pass" I would understand it.

Because the C1 in HL is worth the same as the ordinary A1 and I don't think I could get a C1 or a C2 to be very honest. I never really understand what the higher level questions are asking either and so I answer them completely wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Because the C1 in HL is worth the same as the ordinary A1 and I don't think I could get a C1 or a C2 to be very honest. I never really understand what the higher level questions are asking either and so I answer them completely wrong!

Isn't a C1 70 points and an OL A1 60?

Isn't a C1 70 points and an OL A1 60?
    Apologies yes my mistake!

On the other hand, you *might* do better than you expect.

Even if you do wonderfully on OL, you're maxed out at 60 points.

Think seriously about it it, that's all I'm saying ... it has to be your choice obviously.

On the other hand, you *might* do better than you expect.

Even if you do wonderfully on OL, you're maxed out at 60 points.

Think seriously about it it, that's all I'm saying ... it has to be your choice obviously.

That's really true! Thanks for your advice, I'll just have to sleep on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

Getting 55% in higher level will get you the same amount of points as an A1 in lower level.

So what did you do in the end?

l didn't drop! The aural was so much easier than I expected and the essay title was the one I had prepared for! Thank you guys for the advice

Looking at the general feedback thread for the paper, I suspect you would have been kicking yourself if you had tbh.

Hopefully P2 will be reasonable as well, but either way, you should be fine after to-day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Not true!!

I failed my OL Irish.........left the exam after the 30 min mark but still......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Fortune favours the brave

• Advertisement
Advertisement