Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYG sim/phone for USA. Options?

Options
  • 07-06-2015 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Group of us going to the states for a weeks holiday in a few weeks time. Organisation wise would be handy to be able to keep in touch via phone with each other for some stuff.

Is there options to get a US sim before we go anywhere so setup to go when we land? Or how did people find it best to either get a SIM or a cheap burner phone over there?

Its Vegas if helps answer any questions for where to get sorted when there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Id get a T-Mobile sim when you get to the usa they have some cheap plans for about $30 a month that has unlimited texts (which includes texting ireland) and unlimited internet which you could skype with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/T-Mobile-Prepaid-NANO-Sim-ACTIVATION-Kit-FOR-IPHONE-5-NOT-ACTIVATED-/251240293386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7f16a40a

If you're really keen? Activate it online @ www.t-mobile.com

$3 per day for calls, texts and internet. You can also top it up online.

I change my SIM over then on the plane going over, so when I land I have 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I have an AT&T sim on PAYG, I also bought the cheapest smallest flip phone they sell($9) to pu it in. It costs 10c a minute to use which is plenty for me as I only use it for local calls, texts, taxis etc. I was offered a $30 per month deal which covers all your calls and texts for 30 days but I only use $10 a month.
    One thing to be careful of, if you run out of credit or 30 days passes it goes dead until you top it up, you can't even receive calls....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

jjbrien wrote: »
    Id get a T-Mobile sim when you get to the usa they have some cheap plans for about $30 a month that has unlimited texts (which includes texting ireland) and unlimited internet which you could skype with.

This, picked up a TMibile SIM and got it shipped to my local Walmart for pickup upon arrival, 30 day unlimited data and text and 100 minutes but note you cannot ring a Irish mobile. As you have unlimited data (4g) you can throw a hotspot to the rest of your party to use Viber/Whatsapp etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement