Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

approaching hotels to use function rooms to hold discos?

Options
  • 07-06-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi I am looking for advice on approaching hotels for the use of their function rooms to hold teenage discos and fundraising events . first I would like to start off in teenage discos , so would any insurance be needed or deposits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I would imagine you would want to get public liability at the very least even if the hotels insurance would cover it you would want to have yourself covered too. Deposits will depend on the hotel but I would imagine they would want some sort of down payment so they know you are serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

How would you intend on making a profit. Just the cover charge?

Any bar sales are going to go to the hotel. Even if you prove to have a successful model and become the place to go, the hotel will just stop renting the room to you and do it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,593 ✭✭✭✭kippy

adrianw wrote: »
    How would you intend on making a profit. Just the cover charge?

Any bar sales are going to go to the hotel. Even if you prove to have a successful model and become the place to go, the hotel will just stop renting the room to you and do it themselves.

Yeah, this is usually the issue with the "business" model OP. I've seen it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

adrianw wrote: »
    if you prove to have a successful model and become the place to go, the hotel will just stop renting the room to you and do it themselves.

I have to disagree with your opinion on how the hotels will basically steal your idea. Its hard enough to get teenagers to an event, especially when its not other teenagers organising it.

Before you do approach the hotel I would have a quote for what security (i.e. bouncers) would cost for the night as well as the cost for public liability insurance.

Add those two costs to any other expenditure such as a dj, and then see if it is still making enough net profit to make it worth doing. If it is, then approach the hotel saying you will provide the security, all you want from them is the room.

Best of luck!!

Advertisement