Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at the Wicklow 200 bike event.

Options
  • 07-06-2015 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

< Mod Snip: This is not the place to comment on moderation decisions. >

The parking is a joke. Cars on footpaths , cars hindering exit from people's houses, cars on greens etc.

Couldn't this be run better. Did the local clubs open their car parks / grounds for parking? Charging for parking would be a decent money spinner for them and avoid us having to put up with cars anywhere and everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Did you not learn your lesson from the other thread you started?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Did you not learn your lesson from the other thread you started?

Lesson! Read the other thread again. It's significantly different. So much so that it was deemed more appropriate to the cycling forum.

This thread specifically relates to the local area the event was in and the parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

You should of came down to the centre giving a helping hand instead of moaning on here. Ring Joe tomorrow he will sort it for you.

The local area that benefited greatly from us all today you mean?

How many cars were clamped by the way if they were all parked so illegally? Did the Guards have anything to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

Posters probably browned off because parking was all taken near a coffee shop

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

FirstIn wrote: »
    The parking is a joke.

Yesterday was a beautiful day.
    Rather than getting worked up you could just walk around the offending vehicles.
    Couldn't this be run better.

I very much doubt it.
    It was a fantastic success thanks to so many hard working helpers.
    Did the local clubs open their car parks / grounds for parking? Charging for parking would be a decent money spinner for them and avoid us having to put up with cars anywhere and everywhere.

You know it was a Sunday, right?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod note: This is a regional forum for discussing regional issues. Parking in the local area is a regional issue, a general rant about unacceptable road behavior by cyclists is not. If you feel that cyclists or cycling events should be banned from the roads take it to a more appropriate forum such as After Hours.

Thank you.

I assume you went to the Guards about all this illegal parking too? If so what did they say? But you're dead right, ALL those cyclists are gob****es especially the ones who did it for charity, they are the worst. Ban the Patricks day parade too because of the parking. Or are they okay because they are typical Greystones residents who don't want anything or anyone different in their little town?

Sorry didn't see that post was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Ye can't be doing that lads

crime.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

2011 wrote: »
    Mod note: This is a regional forum for discussing regional issues. Parking in the local area is a regional issue, a general rant about unacceptable road behavior by cyclists is not. If you feel that cyclists or cycling events should be banned from the roads take it to a more appropriate forum such as After Hours.

Thank you.

After Hours ? Surely the Cyclists forum would be the most appropriate but as you're clearly already aware, they don't allow any discussion around this topic either. Seems cyclists don't take criticsm well.

I assume you went to the Guards about all this illegal parking too? If so what did they say?

I will be submitting a complaint in writing. It's small piece of action but the more complaints the Gardai receive the harder it will be to get licences for these street races in future as has already been happening elsewhere around the country.
    But you're dead right, ALL those cyclists are gob****es especially the ones who did it for charity, they are the worst.

I can understand the need for you to get defensive being a cyclist and all that but seriously, where did I call all cyclists gob****es and what has charity got to do with any of it ?
    Ban the Patricks day parade too because of the parking. Or are they okay because they are typical Greystones residents who don't want anything or anyone different in their little town?

I'll give you the benefit of doubt there and assume you're not comparing our national holiday celebrations with a minority sporting event for push bike enthusiasts. If you are, may i suggest you rethink that line of thought. If not, then please expand.

Swanner wrote: »
    After Hours ? Surely the Cyclists forum would be the most appropriate but as you're clearly already aware, they don't allow any discussion around this topic either. Seems cyclists don't take criticsm well.

I will be submitting a complaint in writing. It's small piece of action but the more complaints the Gardai receive the harder it will be to get licences for these street races in future as has already been happening elsewhere around the country.

I can understand the need for you to get defensive being a cyclist and all that but seriously, where did I call all cyclists gob****es and what has charity got to do with any of it ?

I'll give you the benefit of doubt there and assume you're not comparing our national holiday celebrations with a minority sporting event for push bike enthusiasts. If you are, may i suggest you rethink that line of thought. If not, then please expand.

So every event all over the country should be banned because you don't like the way they park? Would you ever get a life. Why didn't you go to the Guards yesterday? If there was so much illegal parking they could have dealt with then. If your problem is with parking then you should have the same problem on Patricks day, but your problem is with cyclists only. It's a pathetic attitude.

I assume you went to the Guards about all this illegal parking too? If so what did they say? But you're dead right, ALL those cyclists are gob****es especially the ones who did it for charity, they are the worst. Ban the Patricks day parade too because of the parking. Or are they okay because they are typical Greystones residents who don't want anything or anyone different in their little town?

Sorry didn't see that post was gone

Did I mention banning it? No.
    " post gone" None of my posts have been removed.

I will ask the guards. Seeing as so many of you here took part, can I ask did you see the ways cars were parked in Burnaby Park, opposite the rugby club.

I know people living there and one told me she had to get her nephew to move her car from her drive as her access was so badly hindered. Access in and out for an ambulance would have been very difficult.

Added to that the green in that estate was full of cars. Kids play there but not yesterday.

Why should reaidents have to put up with this? They shouldn't.

What I meant by the charity thing was that a hell of a lot of those people yesterday were not cyclists per say but only did it for charity with little or no experience or training and bitter people like you want to stop them doing it. I thought that was pretty obvious.

So every event all over the country should be banned because you don't like the way they park?

Can you link to where I suggested this please ?
    Why didn't you go to the Guards yesterday? If there was so much illegal parking they could have dealt with then.

I was busy doing family stuff yesterday. I also prefer to put complaints in writing which is common practice for most I would have thought.
    If your problem is with parking then you should have the same problem on Patricks day

I have no problem whatsoever with Patrick's day. It's a national holiday, therefore enjoyed by everyone, not just the few. We expect disruption.
    So i'll be too busy getting defensive to take on board any criticism and i'll incorrectly make the assumption that your problem is with cyclists only.

FYP
    It's a pathetic attitude.

Agreed.

Did I mention banning it? No.
    " post gone" None of my posts have been removed.

I will ask the guards. Seeing as so many of you here took part, can I ask did you see the ways cars were parked in Burnaby Park, opposite the rugby club.

I know people living there and one told me she had to get her nephew to move her car from her drive as her access was so badly hindered. Access in and out for an ambulance would have been very difficult.

Added to that the green in that estate was full of cars. Kids play there but not yesterday.

Why should reaidents have to put up with this? They shouldn't.

That post wasn't aimed at you. Again why not go to them yesterday when they could have done something about it? No point doing it now. It's not the first time it's started from Shoreline, did you talk to the Guards beforehand? I asked before how many cars were clamped. Any idea?

What I meant by the charity thing was that a hell of a lot of those people yesterday were not cyclists per say but only did it for charity with little or no experience or training and bitter people like you want to stop them doing it. I thought that was pretty obvious.

I think there are far too many of these "Sportives". And the number is rapidly growing. However this is general discussion, only allowed in AH, so we're off topic.

Can you link to where I suggested this please ?

I was busy doing family stuff yesterday. I also prefer to put complaints in writing which is common practice for most I would have thought.

I have no problem whatsoever with Patrick's day. It's a national holiday, therefore enjoyed by everyone, not just the few. We expect disruption.

FYP

Agreed.

So no events unless everyone is taking part? Absolutely ridiculous. I suppose none of the people yesterday spent any money in Greystones at all no?

I think there are far too many of these "Sportives". And the number is rapidly growing. However this is general discussion, only allowed in AH, so we're off topic.

Right so you admit that your problem is only with cyclists then. I'm not arguing with people like you anymore. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I live opposite shoreline, parking was a bit of a pain alright but nothing to get yourself upset about. I knew the race was on so was prepared for it. Fare play to everyone who took part. Great to see people out being healthy and enjoying themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I saw a good few cyclists cycling home over Windgates after the event - fair dues to anyone who can do 200km over the hills and then cycle back into town (I assume they had cycled out to Greystones as well). Perhaps Irish Rail could have put on a "Bikers Special" Dart service to bring people out to Greystones with their bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I know people living there and one told me she had to get her nephew to move her car from her drive as her access was so badly hindered. .

Her nephew had to move her car because she's a crap driver. If he could get it out, she should have been able to. And if he could get it out, her driveway wasn't hindered.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    I live opposite shoreline, parking was a bit of a pain alright...

Parking was a pain, does it need to be when this event is on?
    Loyatemu makes a suggestion , a good one. I made one earlier about grounds opening for parking.

And to answer your question black and amber, about talking to the guards after the event. Well I guess it will be on again and the mistakes of this event can be addressed for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I live in the area, I think its fantastic that Greystones is centre of the cycling world for a day, I'm sure all the food places in the main street were happy with the business they brought.

endacl wrote: »
    Her nephew had to move her car because she's a crap driver. If he could get it out, she should have been able to. And if he could get it out, her driveway wasn't hindered.

Hinder - make it difficult for (someone) to do something or for (something) to happen.

So if I blocked you into a parking spot in such a way as to hinder your ability to get out. You'd be ok with that would you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hinder - make it difficult for (someone) to do something or for (something) to happen.

So if I blocked you into a parking spot in such a way as to hinder your ability to get out. You'd be ok with that would you ?

Yep. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

What's with all the labelling? What gets people so worked up about 'people' who ride bicycles?

Swanner its a shame this has got under your skin. But I hope its not just because it was 'cyclists'. Inconsiderate parking happens everywhere. I say this because I hope you have as much ire for these other people as you do for people who ride bicycles.

Reading your comments its hard not to form the opinion that its just people who ride bicycles and you probably wouldn't bat an eye if you saw someone parking in a disabled bay who shouldn't or perhaps a parent double parking to drop kids off at school. No far better to just have a general moan about a large group and add in a sly dig at it being a minority sport and not worth the trouble (ignoring the public benefit by keeping people fitter and less of a burden on the health service for one...)
    As a participant at the event I got their early but coming back did see the cars parked everywhere. I did wonder at the provision. Maybe for next year contact the organisers well in advance (same time each year) to raise your concerns. Talk to your TD or councillor.
    And finally had you been so vexed at this parking you should have contacted the Gards on the day. Anyone parked without consideration should have got a ticket and by you not reporting it at the time lets tgem get away with it. A cop out for not calling the cops at the time. Writing a letter to vent after the event is about as much use as writing to The Daily Mail.

endacl wrote: »
    Yep. It happens.

OK :rolleyes:

Most right thinking people apply a certain level of consideration to those around them.

You must be an absolute joy to share a road with.

After Hours ?

Yes, it is a great place for general rants, a regional forum is not.
    Surely the Cyclists forum would be the most appropriate but as you're clearly already aware, they don't allow any discussion around this topic either.

As you know I tried the cycling forum already.
    Seems cyclists don't take criticsm well.

Clearly no group take insulting generalizations well whether they are cyclists, motorists or any other group.

Last warning, regional discussion such as parking only.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Parking was a joke yesterday...

Dangerous and stupid....
    Like cycling 3-4 a breast really...

Advertisement