Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at the Wicklow 200 bike event.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Hardly a problem. As for parking, I went down for a swim yesterday morning and got parking in Shoreline without any problems. My drive wasn't slowed down or hindered in any way by the cyclists.

IF people's driveways were blocked, perhaps it wasn't by cyclists? I know when I lived in the Burnaby we would park one of our cars across the driveway to ensure that nobody else did (or had the opportunity to partially block the gate), particularly for St. Patrick's day - one year of being blocked in was enough, thanks very much...

As a motorist I don't get the anti-cyclist sentiment. Fair play to those who cycle to commute and even more so to those who do it for leisure! Those finishing while I was there looked to have enjoyed themselves. Good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Parking was a joke yesterday...

Dangerous and stupid....
    Like cycling 3-4 a breast really...

Dangerous how? Any incidents to report due to this dangerous parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

I live in the area, I think its fantastic that Greystones is centre of the cycling world for a day, I'm sure all the food places in the main street were happy with the business they brought.

This. The weather was glorious yesterday and Greystones is stunning when the weather is great. I love seeing a buzz around the place and knowing there are loads of visitors enjoying my home town.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Dangerous how? Any incidents to report due to this dangerous parking?

Dangerous by parking on footpaths etc

I'm not sure about incidents but with a thread being generated about such parking then I'd expect it's only a matter of time really.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Swanner wrote: »
    OK :rolleyes:

Most right thinking people apply a certain level of consideration to those around them.

You must be an absolute joy to share a road with.

You'd hardly notice me. I'm about as considerate as it gets.

I just don't get my knickers in a twist every time I'm slightly inconvenienced by other people. That's life. Sh1t happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

I came from Waterford to the event and parked in the small park just up the road from Greystones. I actually parked in the same location in 2011 so I didnt see any issue parking there considering there was no signs to say otherwise. I think I drove in around the estate in question first, but there was cars parked everywhere. I can see where the OP is coming from. I remember when I lived in a housing estate, it really bugged me when someone would park in my spot or if I was hindered coming out my drive. At other events I have being to, marshals would be out on the street directing people where to park as they arrive. Maybe this could be considered in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

endacl wrote: »
    You'd hardly notice me. I'm about as considerate as it gets.

I just don't get my knickers in a twist every time I'm slightly inconvenienced by other people. That's life. Sh1t happens.

Nor do I.

But if someone parks half way across my driveway making it difficult for me to get out, I will get pissed off.

And so would you despite your protestations to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It's in the interests of the organisers not to piss off the locals, they've got a good setup in Greystones for the WW200, it would be awkward to move it somewhere else. A couple of marshalls standing at the entrance to Burnaby Park would discourage riders from parking there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

But if someone parks half way across my driveway making it difficult for me to get out, I will get pissed off.

...and I wouldn't blame you.
    I would not be the least bit impressed either.

I don't think anyone is trying to justify that behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Great parking on Rathdown road near St. Kevin's Primary School, Greystones.
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/8632585@N06/426Js2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Great parking on Rathdown road near St. Kevin's Primary School, Greystones.
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/8632585@N06/426Js2

I think I can make out bike racks on a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Very inconsiderate parking but you'd see that anywhere and at anytime - not just last Sunday.
    If it was me I'd forward the details to the Gards - especially the mini bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

There were no cyclists driving the vehicles in my photos, mums and dads only :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

FirstIn wrote: »

There's a difference between thinking you can and WANTING to.

There's a difference between thinking you can and WANTING to.

No sense of humour then black and amber?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Sense... Great word. This thread could do with some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

.. the more complaints the Gardai receive the harder it will be to get licences for these street races in future .
    It's not a race BTW. Just saying.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    I saw a good few cyclists cycling home over Windgates after the event - fair dues to anyone who can do 200km over the hills and then cycle back into town (I assume they had cycled out to Greystones as well). Perhaps Irish Rail could have put on a "Bikers Special" Dart service to bring people out to Greystones with their bikes?
    Very good suggestion.
    FirstIn wrote: »
    That is pathetic. There are no bike racks in the photos, and I think we can all read the writing on the minibus, and therefore deduce that it did not come into Greystones for the Wicklow 200 event.

recedite wrote: »
    That is pathetic. There are no bike racks in the photos, and I think we can all read the writing on the minibus, and therefore deduce that it did not come into Greystones for the Wicklow 200 event.

Pathetic hey!

It was a joke.

Of course they have nothing to do with the cycle event. They are parked on jinks's hill. The other side of Greystones from shoreline!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

I noticed that on the road into Charlesland that none of the cars parked on the cycle track but rather the footpath? I thought that was a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Burnaby Park

Red Audi <Mod snip: no personal details please> . Parked across my driveway preventing us from leaving our house during the Wicklow 200 event on Sunday.
    I live in Burnaby Park.
    I spoke to the driver when they returned.

From what I saw, the Gardai placed parking cones in critical areas such as junctions which were ignored. An Garda are very busy and usually facilitate events like this. However, if enough complaints are made they do start to become inflexible and ignoring a parking cones starts to lead to parking tickets

By the way, I support the Wicklow 200 and myself and my wife have both cycled it a number of times.

Parking on the grass, leaving rubbish behind and the mild nuisance of lots of cars parked around the place shouldn't be something to be complained about. All of these are temporary and don't really impact lives.

However, some consideration should be provided to older and less able people.
    "Walking around" is not an option for some and certainly parking across a driveway is not acceptable to anyone.
    We can all slag each other off on boards like this. That's an easy thing to do.

But seeing other peoples point of view and avoiding anti social behaviour will go a long way to keeping this event running for everyone and to prevent negative impacts on local residents for this short duration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I took a camera with me while cycling Charlesland/Killincarrig route this morning.
    This kind of inconsiderate parking is an everyday occurrence.
    The first two photos were on the cycle lane just up from Killincarrig roundabout.
    The third one was opposite Aldi.

paGRSuG.jpg?1
    3rCDeZh.jpg?1
    BIOtVyU.jpg?1
    paGRSuG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

recedite wrote: »
    I took a camera with me while cycling Charlesland/Killincarrig route this morning.
    This kind of inconsiderate parking is an everyday occurrence.
    The first two photos were on the cycle lane just up from Killincarrig roundabout.
    The third one was opposite Aldi.

paGRSuG.jpg?1
    3rCDeZh.jpg?1
    BIOtVyU.jpg?1
    paGRSuG

Dotted-line on-road cycle lanes are effectively meaningless, you can legally drive on them and park on them. At best they psychologically encourage drivers to keep to the right of the dotted line, but they're not obliged to.

Off-road cycle lanes are invariably less direct than cycling on the road, lose priority at junctions and driveways and are usually clogged with joggers, buggies, parked vans etc. If you're in any sort of hurry you're better off cycling on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

loyatemu wrote: »
    Off-road cycle lanes are invariably less direct than cycling on the road, lose priority at junctions and driveways and are usually clogged with joggers, buggies, parked vans etc. If you're in any sort of hurry you're better off cycling on the road.

Which then leads to the "why can't cyclists use the cycle lanes?!?!" b1tchfest. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

Which then leads to the "why can't cyclists use the cycle lanes?!?!" b1tchfest. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    biggest problem with using cycling lanes is people walking dogs and runners ,especially those who use headphones , no consideration given for cyclists at all you are better off a lot of times on the road. havent done the wicklow event myself but from what i saw re parking at the weekend it was a bit all over the place. but that is the nature of events like this, people will park on amy spare spot. reminded me of the parking at the last electoral count for the referendum and not a bike rack to be seen.
    a bit of respect from all sides, cyclists pedestrians and general public would make most events enjoyable and hassle free.
    as for parking blocking somebodys access to a house or driveway well thats just plain bad manners and ignorance. car should be clamped.

Advertisement