Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinterest recipes

Options
  • 07-06-2015 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Against my own judgement, I have subscribed to Pinterest and am searching the cake recipes there. Problem as usual, all American recipes. Without converting those darn cups to Imperial or Metric measurements, does anyone know of a trick to just getting recipes with understandable measurements? Or am I expecting too much of Pinterest?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would just buy a set of measuring cups. You can get them everywhere now, like the kitchen utensils aisle of bigger Tescos or Argos etc. Conversion is a bitch because every ingredient converts differently due to volume/mass issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have a set of cups here in the kitchen for years and only used them a few times, but as the recipes didn't really work out I gave up. Maybe I should dig them out again then. I much prefer scales. If you watch the Joy of Baking on Youtube she gives measurements by weight as she said cups can fluctuate all the time and she is so right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't think it's necessarily down to the recipe using cups. There are an awful lot of rubbish recipes on the Internet and Pinterest is handy for bringing them all together and making them look good. It could also be because of the different types of ingredients that are available here. For example, I've seen Americans posting about their recipes not working as well here as they do in America because they usually use cake flour in America.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I just use pinterest recipes for inspiration, and also as the seed of rants about "two ingredient cake my ass, do people even know what boxed cake mix even is, sure the cups isnt even the half of it"

I only bother with actual pinterest recipes off people whose blogs i follow/trust anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't make recipes I find on Pinterest either. If I find something I like I usually source a reliable recipe elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Very good advice above, thanks. Of course I should have been sensible enough not to subscribe but there you are, I break my own rules all the time. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Very good advice above, thanks. Of course I should have been sensible enough not to subscribe but there you are, I break my own rules all the time. :)
    I signed up in the final year of my PhD. I think I win on the bad-joining-pinterest front :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I tell ya, if you're on Pinterest, you have to look up the Pinfuriating pinner, and check out the Recipies board. A grouping of the worst pinterest recipies you're ever going to see. Hilarious.

https://www.pinterest.com/pinfuriating/recipes/

Fell off my chair laughing! :D

“deep fried turkey”
    “vinegar pie”
    “God bless America cake”
    “meatloaf baby with bacon diaper”

I won't get to sleep tonight......I'll have nightmares!! :eek: And I just saw......."D.I. why", and "oh look, a bowl of rope".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love it!

There's lentil sausage soup on there that looks like vomit :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Fell off my chair laughing! :D

“deep fried turkey”
    “vinegar pie”
    “God bless America cake”
    “meatloaf baby with bacon diaper”

I won't get to sleep tonight......I'll have nightmares!! :eek: And I just saw......."D.I. why", and "oh look, a bowl of rope".

D I Why is awesome.

And regratsy.

Advertisement