Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Car Rental

• 07-06-2015 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

After some info about renting a car from the airport if anyone has ever done so...

Generally, how long do have to have your licence for before renting? In the UK most companies will rent to you if you've had it for over one year but I don't know about Ireland.

I've had my UK licence for 1.5 years now. Live in Aberdeen and want to fly to Dublin and rent a car to drive home to kilkenny for a weekend.

Also, can someone recommend a the best company to rent from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Pfft.

Stolen cars is where it's at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I did it from Dublin airport through Enterprise Ireland.

I don't remember being asked anthing online (how I booked it) about when I got my licence/how long I'd had it.

In all cases I think you'll be taken by bus to wherever their company's car lot is, and when you return the car you get a bus back to the terminal.

Enterprise were not the best - I'd made a recommendation and paid but they didn't seem to have any record of it, and kept trying to pretend they knew what was going on.

"So, that's just for one day, yes?"

"Ah, no, I made the reservation for 7 days."

"Yes, of course, that's right. So how would you like to pay?"

"I paid when I made the reservation. Here's a printout."

"Yes, of course that's right."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

osarusan wrote: »

I don't remember being asked anthing online (how I booked it) about when I got my licence/how long I'd had it.

In all cases I think you'll be taken by bus to wherever their company's car lot is, and when you return the car you get a bus back to the terminal.

Enterprise were not the best - I'd made a recommendation and paid but they didn't seem to have any record of it, and kept trying to pretend they knew what was going on.

I just checked the website, in tiny tiny print it says you have to of had your licence eight years!!! Christ, I only want a **** box car to get me down the motorway not a rocket to go into space.

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    I just checked the website, in tiny tiny print it says you have to of had your licence eight years!!! Christ, I only want a **** box car to get me down the motorway not a rocket to go into space.

seriously?

I didn't have it for 8 years when making the reservation I mentioned, or even earlier ones. Never had it mentioned or any kind of issue. I think this was the site I used:

http://www.rentalcars.com/?affiliateCode=google&cor=ie&label=generic-2sNw_F4fW1l5JLsTCA2hhAS44618018976&ws=&gclid=CNDw7ObY_sUCFQGD2wod0zsAdQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Minimum age of renter has to be 25, so they are basing it on getting a full license at 17. If you are older than 25, say **** all. You could have had a 3 year license.

Its all about insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why not get a bus/train?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Why not get a bus/train?
    Have you tried driving a train from your Mum's house to the pub on a Friday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Why not get a bus/train?

Train ? From Dublin Airport ? Do you think this is a first world country or something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

osarusan wrote: »

They were probably confused because you used a Government Agency focused on developing Irish trade worldwide to book it ;)

Enterprise Ireland : http://www.enterprise-ireland.com/en/About-Us/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Probably be cheaper to buy a banger in Dublin that still has some NCT on it.

Something like this for €250.

Then get a member of your family to sell it on when your gone.

Assuming you have an insurance policy that would cover you on it.

Failing that, try: http://www.dan-dooley.ie/

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    They were probably confused because you used a Government Agency focused on developing Irish trade worldwide to book it ;)

Enterprise Ireland : http://www.enterprise-ireland.com/en/About-Us/

Ah, indeed. Make that enterprise.ie.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Minimum age of renter has to be 25, so they are basing it on getting a full license at 17. If you are older than 25, say **** all. You could have had a 3 year license.

Its all about insurance.

Ahhhh makes sense, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Probably be cheaper to buy a banger in Dublin that still has some NCT on it.

Something like this for €250.

Then get a member of your family to sell it on when your gone.

Assuming you have an insurance policy that would cover you on it.

OP is looking for a car for a weekend, quick spin down to Kilkenny and back to Airport....
    Unless a seller is going to go out to the Airport to meet them I would say it's a non runner from the start.
    In the unlikely event that was arranged, a family member would have to accompany OP back to the Airport in order to bring the car back to Kilkenny.
    That's a lot of hassle already before taking into consideration the liklihood of the banger breaking down, motor tax, registering the car, reselling the car then...And the fact that you're stumping up a couple of hundred for the privilege

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

PARlance wrote: »
    OP is looking for a car for a weekend, quick spin down to Kilkenny and back to Airport....
    Unless a seller is going to go out to the Airport to meet them I would say it's a non runner from the start.
    In the unlikely event that was arranged, a family member would have to accompany OP back to the Airport in order to bring the car back to Kilkenny.
    That's a lot of hassle already before taking into consideration the liklihood of the banger breaking down, motor tax, registering the car, reselling the car then...And the fact that you're stumping up a couple of hundred for the privilege

Ssshhhhhhh will ya.

I'm trying to sell a car here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

Sorry to bump this but in a similar situation. Living in the UK but home for a weekend at the end of the month and heading to Galway, planning on doing a bit of driving around Connemara. 24 and not had a full licence for 8 years!

So how did you get on with your rental? Does anyone know if they kick up a fuss about a 24y/o renting who hasn't had a full licence for 8 years? Cheers - P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Pretty remote I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Different rental companies have different requirements. The issue though with having an Irish licence and living in the UK will be they may require a proof of address in Ireland.

Also note that almost all rental places require a credit card.

QuantumP wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this but in a similar situation. Living in the UK but home for a weekend at the end of the month and heading to Galway, planning on doing a bit of driving around Connemara. 24 and not had a full licence for 8 years!

So how did you get on with your rental? Does anyone know if they kick up a fuss about a 24y/o renting who hasn't had a full licence for 8 years? Cheers - P

Was grand, ordered a Ford focus from Europcar. When i got there they didn't have one so gave me a brand new Hyundai i40 and discount on insurance. Sweet! Tore down the motorway!

I think the minimum age was 25 though... I could be wrong. No proof of address needed, although you do need a credit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

Was grand, ordered a Ford focus from Europcar. When i got there they didn't have one so gave me a brand new Hyundai i40 and discount on insurance. Sweet! Tore down the motorway!

I think the minimum age was 25 though... I could be wrong. No proof of address needed, although you do need a credit card.

Thank you :)

Advertisement