Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing subjects: Italian, Home Ec & HL Irish

• 08-06-2015 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I plan on picking up Italian, Home Ec & HL Irish for repeating. (Not sitting exams this year)

I spent last summer in Italy. So I've a basic understanding of the language. But I'm not sure what's involved in the course? What books and resources is there or do I need? I was using Memrise last summer and might start using it again for vocabulary.

Home Ec wasn't an option for my LC the first time round. But I did love it in JC. How can I make a start on the course and the 20% project? Should I contact a teacher that tutors to help with the 20%?

The class group I was in in JC cycle weren't allowed in the HL Irish class because there was already 40 in the class!! I used to love it but only sat OL because of this.
    Is the HL course completely different to the OL? Where could I find the Sraith Pictiur? I am from Connacht but now live in Munster and spend the evenings 'arguing' with a 6 year old who goes to a gaelscoil over pronunciation :P So will that matter when it comes to the oral?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lena137 wrote: »
    I am from Connacht but now live in Munster and spend the evenings 'arguing' with a 6 year old who goes to a gaelscoil over pronunciation :P So will that matter when it comes to the oral?

:)
    It won't be a big deal, but you're probably best to stick to one or other as far as possible.

That said, many students have had teachers from Kerry, Galway, Mayo and Donegal over the course of their schooling, and unconsciously pick up idioms and pronunciations from the various dialects* ; they don't lose marks because of it.

Actually, I'd say the more important bit is to practise "listening" to all the dialects; you may have a Donegal person as an oral examiner or speaking on tape for the aural, and it can be a bit of a shock to the ears if you've never heard someone speaking Donegal Irish before. (I'm sure it's the same for a Donegal person dealing with someone from Baile an Fheirtéaraigh).

(* Munster Irish is ofc infinitely superior! :cool:)

Advertisement