Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gaslight Anthem - 8th of June 2015 - Olympia Theatre

Options
  • 08-06-2015 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Surprised I couldn't find a thread on here. If there is one mods feel free to delete.

So hyped for my first Gaslight show. The first concert I'll be going solo to because none of my friends are cool enough to like them, I should have learned my lesson a long time ago not going to Oasis at Slane to pass up on gigs because nobody else was going :D.

Their sets always seem to vary but I'm hoping for Blue Dahlia/Handwritten (or most of that album) to make an appearance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭big_show

Should be good, Who's supporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

Really looking forward to the gig myself, this will be my third time seeing them live and they are one of the best live bands out there. They played two (sold out) nights in the Olympia the last time so it's strange that they aren't doing a bigger venue or multiple nights again....but I'm not complaining, should be a great night!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Going tonight, Belfast last night was awesome, Although i didn't particularly like the venue. 27 songs and I'd say they'll change up about 20 of them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Excited for this! I saw them in Edinburgh last Nov when they were starting to tour this album so it'll be interesting to see how it's developed since. I flew home to see them today (didn't realise there was a Glasgow date too!) but I prefer the Dublin crowds anyway :P

They were taking setlist requests on Twitter so who knows what we'll hear?!
    big_show wrote: »
    Should be good, Who's supporting?

The Scandals. They're also from New Jersey, I think, but I don't know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Have 2 free tix for tonight if anyone wants 'em.

• Advertisement

ianthefox wrote: »
    Have 2 free tix for tonight if anyone wants 'em.

Awwwww why didn't I see this earlier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just back.

Howl, Biloxi Parish...that 4 song run of 45, 59 sound, We came to dance, and Backstreets that nearly blew the roof off the place...finishing with We're getting a divorce.

F*cking amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Thought they were absolutely class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Those 2 gigs physically and mentally broke me in a good way. How can a band play 45 songs over 2 nights and STILL have 10 songs i would have loved to hear. I seem to say this every time they play here but hopefully it's not another 2 years till they come back.

Great aul show from the boys, wish I made it up to the Limelight on Sunday night as well. Thought the set list was a good mix, the band were tight, and Brian's vox were really good.

Also liked his banter, even if he did say to a Dublin crowd "You invented the language..." when talking about the English language, hope he doesn't say something similar tonight to the crowd in Glasgow!

Top band, really bring it live, hopefully they won't wait another 2 years to come back.

• Advertisement

My only complaint would be Halloween not being in the setlist.

It was also a strange choice of songs to play from the new album. I thought for sure the singles would have been in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

stankratz wrote: »
    Also liked his banter,

Tbh, that's one thing that really annoyed me about last night. He just went on and on and on. At one stage he mentioned how he had been talking for so long and STILL kept talking!

As for mentioning someone who had seen the band 15 times and hadn't heard 'Here's Looking at you kid'? Give me a break! That's almost saying that before playing The 59 Sound.

As for the gig itself, I thought they were very good, great setlist that spread most of their career to date. As always, they had better than good openers.

Also liked his banter, even if he did say to a Dublin crowd "You invented the language..." when talking about the English language, hope he doesn't say something similar tonight to the crowd in Glasgow!

At least he didn't keep talking about their visit to the UK and making jokes about the pound like the guy in the support band did :P That was an awkward silence and a half!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Raging i missed them (the joys of a new job) . Seen them last time they were here and the time before that . One of my favourite modern(ish) rock bands

The crowd interaction thing is a fine line. Come out and blast through the songs and people complain they are going through the motions, go the opposite direction and it can be waffling. Fallon can do a lot of the latter and he lost a lot of the crowd where I was standing later on. I personally don't mind it, he comes across as a nice guy and fairly quick witted, and it beats the rehearsed conversations a lot of bigger bands do.

Got a laugh from the Here's looking at you kid bit myself. Think they played it both nights here last time out, and even did the bit with the guy coming out to play the solo. Fully expected them to play red at night at that point.

Also expected someone to pass a note to the vocalist of the support band explaining his mistake.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The crowd interaction thing is a fine line. Come out and blast through the songs and people complain they are going through the motions, go the opposite direction and it can be waffling. Fallon can do a lot of the latter and he lost a lot of the crowd where I was standing later on. I personally don't mind it, he comes across as a nice guy and fairly quick witted, and it beats the rehearsed conversations a lot of bigger bands do.

Got a laugh from the Here's looking at you kid bit myself. Think they played it both nights here last time out, and even did the bit with the guy coming out to play the solo. Fully expected them to play red at night at that point.

Also expected someone to pass a note to the vocalist of the support band explaining his mistake.

It is a fine line with the crowd banter, you're absolutely right. I enjoyed most of his interactions, especially him going on about Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam and Ryan Adams, but I suppose I did get to a point of thinking "Brian, do you know where you're actually going with this?" once or twice during the night :pac: I do seriously think though that he has become fond of Ryan Adams these last few years, because those kind of nonsensical, sorta cute, self-deprecating, quirky ramblings are RA all over. Brian seems sound anyway and was evidently trying to do his best to interact with the crowd and feel comfortable himself.

I missed the support band and their UK/Pound gaff, sounds a bit mortifying for the singer! As for Brian and GA, they have been here many times in the past. Out of all the crew who travel with them, someone was bound to mention to him at some point that Ireland is not a part of England. Just saying. I didn't mind at all, and thankfully the crowd seemed to be more tongue-in-cheek with the booing than serious. One or two might only have been saying Boo-urns, I can't be sure.

In terms of the setlist, I would have been a bonus to hear one of 'We Did It When We Were Young', 'Even Cowgirls Get The Blues' or 'Queen Of Lower Chelsea', but really I can't complain. Oh, the 'Wish You Were Here' cover seemed a little misplaced and it looked like they sensed it themselves and wound it up early, I've yet to see them play their cover of Pearl Jam's 'State Of Love And Trust' and would love to have seen that belted out.

Overall, great gig and at just over €30 a ticket, top value. I'd love to be going to see them in Glasgow tonight. I've played in that venue a few times and Glasgow crowds are something else. The boys might be a little wrecked from three nights in a row in three different countries but I'm sure it'll still be great.

Edit: I double checked that it was tonight they are in Glasgow. Not only are they in Glasgow tonight, but Brighton way down on the south coast of England tomorrow night. That's not just four gigs in a row, but four different countries and some serious road miles after a transatlantic flight. By the time they hit Luxemburg on Friday, they won't have a clue where they are. Even though it was a Monday night, we still might have been lucky with Dublin's placing in their intense tour schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Klown78

As for mentioning someone who had seen the band 15 times and hadn't heard 'Here's Looking at you kid'? Give me a break! That's almost saying that before playing The 59 Sound.

Whys that? HLAYK goes through spells of hardly been played at all. They have barely played it this year, and didn't play it at all on their US tour. Plus they barely played it last year.

Belfast was my 21st time seeing them, and first time getting "We're Getting A Divorce..." Granted, I did get it as well in Dublin last night, but still...

At least when Brian talks, and talks, he's in a good mood. Much rather see him like that, than some of the times when he's in a foul mood. Some of the nights on both legs of the Handwritten tour, when he was going through the divorce, weren't pleasant viewing, with him barely saying a word, or short digs at the crowds.
    Oh, the 'Wish You Were Here' cover seemed a little misplaced and it looked like they sensed it themselves and wound it up early, I've yet to see them play their cover of Pearl Jam's 'State Of Love And Trust' and would love to have seen that belted out.

Chances of ever getting SoLaT again is rare, they seem to pick a cover for each tour, and on a whole stick with it. The only one that seems to carry over, is Astro Zombies. Last time I heard it, was 2008.

As for Wish You Were Here, it's been this tours cover, and was the same length that it has been all tour.

Klown78 wrote: »
    Whys that? HLAYK goes through spells of hardly been played at all. They have barely played it this year, and didn't play it at all on their US tour. Plus they barely played it last year.

Belfast was my 21st time seeing them, and first time getting "We're Getting A Divorce..." Granted, I did get it as well in Dublin last night, but still...

At least when Brian talks, and talks, he's in a good mood. Much rather see him like that, than some of the times when he's in a foul mood

Yeah, it was only my 4th time seeing them but I think I'd only heard HLAYK live once before and had never heard National Anthem or Stay Lucky. That's what I love about them, very few bands change the setlist as much as they do. It's weird how few songs off Get Hurt they play though. I've seen them twice since GH came out and they barely played any of the singles. Would have much preferred Rollin and Tumblin to Underneath the Ground both times, but c'est la vie. Loved "We're getting a divorce..."!

Oh and you're right about Brian's mood, hewasn't half as talkative in Edinburgh in November. I quite like his banter tbh, it feels genuine and not like empty rehearsed speech :)

Yeah, it was only my 4th time seeing them but I think I'd only heard HLAYK live once before and had never heard National Anthem or Stay Lucky. That's what I love about them though, very few bands change the setlist as much as they do. It's weird how few songs off Get Hurt they play though. I've seen them twice since GH came out and they barely played any of the singles. Would have much preferred Rollin and Tumblin to Underneath the Ground both times, but c'est la vie.

Oh and you're right, Brian was in a bad-ish mood and wasn't half as talkative in Edinburgh in November. I quite like his banter tbh, feels genuine :)

Get Hurt seems to be getting swept under the rug, I think it's down to the fact, that it wasn't a Gaslight album, and was meant to be Brian's solo album, and he give it to the band last year, to stop the break-up that had happened after the London gigs.

My favourite time for National Anthem, was Brixton Night 1 in 2013, just Brian, out by himself, and absolute silence as he sang it. Unreal..

Yeah, it was only my 4th time seeing them but I think I'd only heard HLAYK live once before and had never heard National Anthem or Stay Lucky. That's what I love about them though, very few bands change the setlist as much as they do. It's weird how few songs off Get Hurt they play though. I've seen them twice since GH came out and they barely played any of the singles. Would have much preferred Rollin and Tumblin to Underneath the Ground both times, but c'est la vie.

Oh and you're right, Brian was in a bad-ish mood and wasn't half as talkative in Edinburgh in November. I quite like his banter tbh, feels genuine :)

Get Hurt seems to be getting swept under the rug, I think it's down to the fact, that it wasn't a Gaslight album, and was meant to be Brian's solo album, and he give it to the band last year, to stop the break-up that had happened after the London gigs in 2013.

My favourite time for National Anthem, was Brixton Night 1 in 2012, just Brian, out by himself, and absolute silence as he sang it. Unreal..

• Advertisement

Get Hurt seems to be getting swept under the rug, I think it's down to the fact, that it wasn't a Gaslight album, and was meant to be Brian's solo album, and he give it to the band last year, to stop the break-up that had happened after the London gigs.

My favourite time for National Anthem, was Brixton Night 1 in 2013, just Brian, out by himself, and absolute silence as he sang it. Unreal..

Yeah, I'm definitely getting that impression with GH. It's very much a Brian album, except R and T and Helter Skeleton (which is epic live!). Lots of bands have that one "weird" album that isn't really played much - I think this is theirs. Not complaining though because last night's setlist was pretty great all round.

The fact that Brian has settled down, and learned how to use Twitter, made for great set-lists. Belfast was unreal. Over 2 hours and 28 songs.

If you hear the GH songs, with just Brian, there's a much more natural feel to them, plus the awkward '1000 Years' sounds so much better. I still laugh at the "It wasn't worth it" line on the album.

What was the story there?

What was the story there?

It won't let me post a link, but if you search for Gaslight Anthem break up London on google, and check out the couple of articles, it tells about the coming to an end, and how the rest of the band hit a writer's block as such, so Brian had to use up his album that he had talked about a lot up to that point.

Chances of ever getting SoLaT again is rare, they seem to pick a cover for each tour, and on a whole stick with it. The only one that seems to carry over, is Astro Zombies. Last time I heard it, was 2008.

As for Wish You Were Here, it's been this tours cover, and was the same length that it has been all tour.

I didn't know that they have certain covers for certain tours, Monday night was only my 3rd time seeing them.

Maybe I'm just used to hearing 'Wish You Were Here' flogged right into the ground when other bands cover it, the boys seemed to keep it short and sweet the other night.

Cover went down fairly well where I was standing, and looked like it did in other parts too.

Also wouldn't be too sure of Get Hurt being a solo album. There are several songs on it that are what the bands sound was evolving towards over the earlier albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Oh and you're right about Brian's mood, hewasn't half as talkative in Edinburgh in November. I quite like his banter tbh, it feels genuine and not like empty rehearsed speech :)

I remember last time they were in Dublin he was in awful form, it wasn't very enjoyable at all. Monday was an entirely different experience altogether, a very good gig.

I remember last time they were in Dublin he was in awful form, it wasn't very enjoyable at all. Monday was an entirely different experience altogether, a very good gig.

Yea i thought the same last time they played here and i know a few people thought that too.

Glad they they were on form this time (even though i wasnt there :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Raging i missed them (the joys of a new job) . Seen them last time they were here and the time before that . One of my favourite modern(ish) rock bands

Weird exactly the same reason I missed the gig! Would have loved to have gone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement