Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking with butter

• 08-06-2015 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

This weekend was designated for trying out a new recipe. I can't find the exact one I used online, but it was basically baked "fried" chicken. Soak in milk, dip in seasoned flour and then into a baking dish with melted butter. It was this last part that didn't work so well for me. The pan was slightly uneven, so some parts didn't have enough butter to keep the coating from sticking, while I had to cook it for longer than prescribed as the coating was still soggy after turning.

Can anyone explain the use of melted butter in a dish like this - does it add anything, or is it simply there as a sort of 'lubricant'? If I spray down some foil or parchment with olive oil spray, would it have added/taken away anything from the dish?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd say it's just to give the chicken a fried taste despite being oven baked, and I can see that it would just make the coating soggy. If you're intent on baking it I'd spray it with some oil and leave the butter out.

If you want to fry it though, there's always the amazing fried chicken recipe in the Cooking Club :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056852574

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The butter is for flavour - might be worth brushing the chicken with melted butter rather than dipping it .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

After cooking it for longer than the recipe called for, and leaving it to stand for a while, the resulting coating was not exactly crispy, I would describe it similar to a typical KFC chicken portion. Make of that what you will :p

I think I'll try the foil/spray option next time to see if it makes any difference. If I can get away without butter of any kind, I'll be happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Maybe place the coated chicken on a greased rack instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Oh, that's a thought, don't know why I didn't consider that. The only thing is that the chicken was divvied up into 3 portions, so probably wouldn't stay on the racks I own, the tines are too far apart, but one with smaller gaps might work well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am not sure but would clarified butter work better but to be honest I would just brush it in melted butter or oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I'm coming in late here but thought you might like to try the baked fried chicken recipe that I use. I found it online years ago and it works well for me, I even use the seasoned flour to coat fish before frying and it's nice.

In a plastic bag, mix together 5 tbsps plain flour, 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsps garlic powder, half tsp salt. (Sometimes I add a good sprinkle of celery salt as well).

Take 8 chicken pieces with skin on and rub well with oil. Then shake the pieces in the flour mixture, shaking off any loose excess and arrange on a greased grill pan as in a rack set into a roasting pan.

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces you choose, in a 175 Deg. C preheated oven until well coloured and crispy.

I hope you have luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I collect takeaway foil trays and foil trays from little pies. This allows me to use little oil when cooking as the bottom of the "baking tray" is always full.

I do this with more expensive fats like butter or coconut oil. The tray can be squashed into the size required.

Advertisement