Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karlsruhe Marathon

Options
  • 08-06-2015 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭

Folks, I've just registered for this in September.

Route looks flat. It's cheap. I don't know what flights from Ireland are like but with low-cost these days, it might be an idea for people. Could be a tune-up race for later Autumn marathons or a replacement for Berlin.

Link > http://www.badenmarathon.de/cms/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, I've just registered for this in September.

Route looks flat. It's cheap. I don't know what flights from Ireland are like but with low-cost these days, it might be an idea for people. Could be a tune-up race for later Autumn marathons or a replacement for Berlin.

Link > http://www.badenmarathon.de/cms/

Might be a tad hot for pasty auld Irish lads?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Might be a tad hot for pasty auld Irish lads?

TbL

One of my only worries actually. Must check start time again.

Well, that and making a balls of the race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I suppose I should give some feedback. Did this last Sunday and I must say I enjoyed it. Other than an annoying twisty bit around km 32 (or 33, or 34, who can remember details at that stage?) the course was fine. Weather was a dream but obviously that can vary from one year to another. It's low-key as marathons go and I mostly like that. In fact I'm partly dreading the hullabaloo surrounding the NY marathon and the logistics of getting to the start, keeping warm and all that.

At Karlsruhe there were no hassles at all in that department. Tram to the start, tram back to hotel - done!

I can recommend the race to anyone who doesn't get into Berlin say, with one word of warning. Lots of the participants do a Half and there is also a 'team' marathon. I know there are people who dislike that kind of race. I did find it difficult to keep the pace I wanted for the first half on Sunday with all the people running the Half, especially as I was looking to do a conservative first half. But overall I enjoyed it. Fair course with just a couple of up and over bridges/motorways and the aforementioned twisty bit. There was even a stretch on a tarmac bike path in and alongside a wood. Nice and cool.

And for me it so happens to be a PB course!! Beats Rotterdam AND Frankfurt on that score.

Advertisement