Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best insurance option?

Options
  • 08-06-2015 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at USIT and VHI at the moment.

VHI is €329 for two years, but it only includes 1 visit back up to 14 days (although not actually clear if it is one trip, or simply a total of 14 days out of Canada). You can add another 14 days for €30

USIT is €349 and allows "up to 5 Trips Home to Ireland (max stay 21 days)" - again not sure does that mean 5x21 day visits or 5 stays with a running total of 21 days (why somebody would fly all the way back for 4 days, 5 times is beyond me tbh (exams?).

Neither of them seem to offer any real details on their policies which is strange. VHI are generous enough to allow you to pay them €65 so you don't have to pay the first €85 of a claim on the insurance you are already paying for. No mention of similar with USIT. USIT do offer a breakdown of costs/cover but I'm working under the assumption that either will shaft you if something actually goes wrong, like all insurers.

Does anybody have experience with one or both? Who would you recommend?

What about if you left Canada to say, America for a few days. Is that covered? Surely unless something actually happens, they are none the wiser about any trips out of the country?

Advertisement