Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planned killing of 7 feral cats at an apartment complex in Bray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Presumably they spread disease and possibly attack people and other pets, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Intifada wrote: »

I think experts would suggest the best course of action is to trap neuter and release as otherwise other feral cats will just move in to replace them. Costs about 45 euro a cat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

There is only a finite amount of feral cats though. Anyway that poster asked why people would have an issue with feral cats, so I was just pointing out the very obvious reasons for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

There is only a finite amount of feral cats though. Anyway that poster asked why people would have an issue with feral cats, so I was just pointing out the very obvious reasons for it.

They only tend to spread disease among themselves, most pet cats should be up to date with vaccinations etc...

Im not aware of feral cat attacks on people personally? Cant recall ever having seen a news item about that, they normally leave people alone.

Cats fight over territory and sexual activity, so its unlikely that ferals are bothered fighting neutered pet cats.

That said I would not be happy with a feral colony setting up home where I live and more so because of the welfare of the poor animals rather than any megrims about them attacking people.

However, killing them is not the answer IMO, TNR is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Seriously?

Feral cats avoid people at all costs. I know very little about felines but I do know that ferals are absolutely terrified of human contact. The only pet that might get attacked is a pet tom that might get territorial.

I live between a farm that has ferals and a house that has some pet cats, there's rarely any aggression, our neighbours pets are far more likely to get killed on the road rather than getting into a fight with a feral. I have dogs and there's never any issue with cats from either side.

If at all possible ferals should be trapped, neutered and released back to their territory. The farm keeps them as they keep vermin at bay. As somebody who lives practically surrounded by farmland, I rarely have rats or mice, I think in 10 years there's been 3 mice in the house, with the door left open most of the time for the dogs.

The apartment blocks next problem may well be a rat infestation, particularly in their communal bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've just seen on Pete the Vet's FB page that the proposed culling has been cancelled. The management have agreed to discuss TNR.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I've just seen on Pete the Vet's FB page that the proposed culling has been cancelled. The management have agreed to discuss TNR.

Must check that out and maybe offer to sponsor a TNR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yep, kill them and they will just get replaced. TNR is the way to go.

And think of the benefits to the complex by having them - I'd guess they have no mice or rat problems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TNR is not the way to go because the cat spends the next 10 years or whatever killing small mammals and birds for its meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thargor wrote: »
    TNR is not the way to go because the cat spends the next 10 years or whatever killing small mammals and birds for its meals.

Unfortunately it's not the way to go if what you need is for there not to be a colony of feral cats in a particular place, alright. In a situation like that all you could do is cull, and continue to cull any other cats that take up residence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We had TNR ferals in the business park in my old job. They had an important job of keeping the rat population at bay. They were also very friendly and tame from people feeding them and the coffee shops etc giving them scraps. The shop owners used to put out cardboard boxes for them to sit in when it was raining :o
    I had a bunch of them that would come to my window every morning looking for food and they came for weeks after I left. One was that tame that it jumped into the window of the canteen one time and got the kitchen staff in trouble lol!!

We dont really have true feral cats in Ireland. Most ferals are only partially feral and have had some level of interaction with humans - good or bad.

Cats can also be copy cats so if they see another cat being friendly and getting food they may try it too.

If people neutered their pet cats we wouldnt have problems with feral cats at all.

Advertisement