Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, Japanese maple fungus on trunk

Options
  • 08-06-2015 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise me what to to. I have a glorious red japanese maple in a large container. I noticed that the leaves are wilting and curled up. There is also a nasty looking fungus on the trunk. It is like white circular scales with a brown dot on top

What can I buy to kill this off?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any photos?
    it's possible that the fungus is not just sitting on top of the trunk - may have affected the tree itself, which would make killing the fungus a lot harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭geosynchronous orbit

Photos would be good but it sounds like horse chestnut scale for the trunk issue. You can either scrape off the scale or treat with and insecticide containing deltamethrin. The insect lives off the sap but does not damage the tree.

The wilting leaves could be because of sun scorch or more like wind damage.
    Were the leaves ok last autumn?

Again, a photo would be great to see.
    Info on Horse Chestnut scale in the link
    http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problems/fruit-and-nuts/horse-chestnut-scale-insect/428.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Yes it is most definitely that scale. . The leaves are usually lovely and it is in a sheltered location. Maybe when I scrape off the scale I will feed the plant up a bit and it might perk up.
    Thanks

Advertisement