Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure I want go to college

Options
  • 08-06-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm 17 (18 this month) and going into Leaving Cert.
    For a while now I have been thinking that I'm not really sure I want to go to college.

It's not that I want to lazy about and waste my time, if I didn't go to college Id look into an apprenticeship or internship (with an entrepreneur if possible) and learn how a business works as my end goal is to work for myself and open my own business and I realise I need to know how a business works before I try and start one.

I know I could go to college and start a business but to be honest I'd see going to college as a waste of time since I don't want to be an engineer, doctor or lawyer nor do I want to work for someone else for longer then needed. I'd hope to be my own boss in the space of time it would take me to graduate from college.

Still haven't told my parents as they expect me to go to college, but I have given this whole scenario a good bit of thought

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

College isn't for everyone, so don't sweat it.

However, not everyone going to college becomes a lawyer, doctor or an engineer.

My first question to you is what interests you? You say you want to setup your own business - very vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

RubRox wrote: »
    I'm 17 (18 this month) and going into Leaving Cert.
    For a while now I have been thinking that I'm not really sure I want to go to college.

It's not that I want to lazy about and waste my time, if I didn't go to college Id look into an apprenticeship or internship (with an entrepreneur if possible) and learn how a business works as my end goal is to work for myself and open my own business and I realise I need to know how a business works before I try and start one.

I know I could go to college and start a business but to be honest I'd see going to college as a waste of time since I don't want to be an engineer, doctor or lawyer nor do I want to work for someone else for longer then needed. I'd hope to be my own boss in the space of time it would take me to graduate from college.

Still haven't told my parents as they expect me to go to college, but I have given this whole scenario a good bit of thought

There are loads of different courses to suit your interests not just engineering, doctor or lawyer. But if you don't want to go to college thats your decision.

Out of interest what sort of business do you want to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RubRox

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    College isn't for everyone, so don't sweat it.

However, not everyone going to college becomes a lawyer, doctor or an engineer.

My first question to you is what interests you? You say you want to setup your own business - very vague.

ive always been good at art/design, I never did very well in art at JC (Didn't keep it up for LC) because I just liked to sketch ideas and patterns instead of being meticulous over the shade and tone as my teacher would have preferred.
    So that lead me to start drawing designs of jewellery which is fairly odd for a lad to do but I don't really care.
    I've always been good with my hands too so I think jewellery making and designing could be my avenue, and that's why I've taken up making jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, have you looked at NCAD (National College of Art and Design) or IADT (Institute of Art, Design and Technology)?

I would be surprised if you didn't find something in there that gets your interest.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ok, have you looked at NCAD (National College of Art and Design) or IADT (Institute of Art, Design and Technology)?

I would be surprised if you didn't find something in there that gets your interest.

Can't believe I didn't think of that actually..
    I've given them a look and they seem interesting, I'm just wondering how difficult are they to get into and would not doing art in school cripple my chances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

RubRox wrote: »
    Can't believe I didn't think of that actually..
    I've given them a look and they seem interesting, I'm just wondering how difficult are they to get into and would not doing art in school cripple my chances?

I'm not too sure about the importance of art at leaving cert but I know you have to prepare a portfolio for them. I have a friend who went to art school I can ask.

What year in school are you in currently? Because if you are in your Leaving Cert year (6th Year) it would be a little too late I think for Art college as I remember the portfolios being prepared early and sent away.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about the importance of art at leaving cert but I know you have to prepare a portfolio for them. I have a friend who went to art school I can ask.

What year in school are you in currently? Because if you are in your Leaving Cert year (6th Year) it would be a little too late I think for Art college as I remember the portfolios being prepared early and sent away.

I'm currently on summer holidays but I will be going into Leaving Certt next year, while going to an art college does seem appealing, I've also heard of doing a 'higher apprenticeship' for the likes marketing/PR/Advertising as that is another area I'm interested in and I may just like to keep jewellery design as a hobby rather than a career..

Advertisement