Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 70-200 opinions needed

• 08-06-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my kit soon and I'm looking for some opinions on the Canon 70-200 L series lense. The main thing I would use this lense for is motorsport and maybe the odd landscape shots.

I'm just wondering which variant of the lense would be best - the f2.8 or f4 and the IS or non-IS? I don't think the IS will make much difference to me for motorsport shots as I tend to shoot at somewhere between 1/250 and 1/1000 (dependent upon available light). I've also heard the IS can slow down the lense but I'm not sure how true this is.

Another factor is I would plan on using the lense with a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter from time to time, so I suppose the f2.8 would be better. I'm also planning on buying either a 70D or a 7D to use it with if this makes any difference.

Any input is most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I would say if you can afford it go for the F2.8. I have a 7D and a 70-200 F4 and I often do find myself wishing I had the extra stop of light, also if you are doing motorsport and plan to do any panning you will benefit from the IS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I have the 70-200 F2.8 IS which I use for weddings.

Although this is a very expensive piece of kit, you will thank yourself when you see the quality of the images and the build.

The other option is to go for a Tamron 70-200 with optical stabilisation if you want to save money. The image quality is excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Thanks for the inputs, I think I'll try and put money together for an f2.8. Are there any pitfalls or issues to consider if I buy a second hand one? It's a hobby for me so I couldn't justify nearly €3k on a new f2.8 with IS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Thanks for the inputs, I think I'll try and put money together for an f2.8. Are there any pitfalls or issues to consider if I buy a second hand one? It's a hobby for me so I couldn't justify nearly €3k on a new f2.8 with IS!

If you are going with the Canon there are two IS F2.8, the mk 1 and mk 2, the 2 is newer and obviously attracts a higher price second hand. They took a drop in price (new) not so long ago to about 2300 but some second hand sellers may not have seen this and be wanting a higher price since they payed more.

I have seen the Mk 1 at about 1100 - 1300 and the Mk 2 at about 1900, but it can vary depending on condition. Some camera shops offer a good warranty with their second hand sales which can add piece of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I rented the MKII 2.8 last weekend for a trip to the Saltees. My it's heavy! A really beautiful lens - was great to get to use it for a few days. Might be worth considering if you have a particular event coming up to try it out in advance, if you don't know someone you can borrow one from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've a mk1 2.8 IS and I did use it for motorsport. It's a fantastic lens with spot on focusing when panning/tracking a vehicle. The IS is two way, in that you can turn off the horizontal IS for panning but it stays on for vertical movement. Not all IS systems have this option. I've used it on a 400D and a 6D. I use it with a 1.4 teleconverter as well and with that its a F4.0.

I use it for portraits and wildlife now (lost interest in motorsport photography and my insurance won't cover it). Ya its a heavy bugger when pared with the teleconverter and hanging off a 6D but a decent Blackrapid strap is a godsend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I sold my 70-200 f2.8 IS as it was to heavy and large and I can get anything I want using the f4 version, yes I know I lose a stop of light but I shoot day time. (I use it for protest marches/ Paddy's day etc etc)

One of my top 2 lens used alongside the Canon 24-70L .

Advertisement