Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Irish Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 8th***

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    What was the gearrsceal anyone please???

I think it was proudness and far away the hills are green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭pandoraj09

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JimLarkin101

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    What was the gearrsceal anyone please???

Pride (Bród)
    The grass is always greener on the other side. (Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn )

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lc2015123

I also done the Education System debate. I always thought in a debate you could agree or disagree, would that be correct?

I mosty disagreed but i did talk about why some people would say it is a good system? Can somebody please clarify before i take a heart attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Lc2015123 wrote: »
    I also done the Education System debate. I always thought in a debate you could agree or disagree, would that be correct?

I mosty disagreed but i did talk about why some people would say it is a good system? Can somebody please clarify before i take a heart attack

Well first of all it was a talk not a debate, so if you used a debate introduction addressing the opposition etc you're gonna lose your marks for style, but it's only worth 5 marks I believe.

The general consensus seems to be that in a talk/speech you're free to address both sides of the argument, but I would assume that it's also okay to only focus on one.

• Advertisement

Magnate wrote: »
    Well first of all it was a talk not a debate, so if you used a debate introduction addressing the opposition etc you're gonna lose your marks for style, but it's only worth 5 marks I believe.

The general consensus seems to be that in a talk/speech you're free to address both sides of the argument, but I would assume that it's also okay to only focus on one.

Thank you for replying so quickly!

I basically started off by saying "dia duit radio na gaeilge, conas ata tu?" And was saying that i have the LC coming up and i think it would be a good idea to talk about it today on the radio. I mostly disagreed with it but kept addressing the listeners, and also gave reasons to why some people would think its a good system but concluded that in my opinion its to academic overall.

It was my first time doing this as i always do the aiste but had a really good aiste for coras oidechais learned off and it didnt come up. Seems i was lucky to get a talk and not a debate because i dont even know the layout. What is the marking scheme for section C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Seems like lots of people didn't realise the flexibility of the scéalta móra. It was a very generous title imo and the education system, health system, terrorism, racism, old people, young people, water charges, politics, media etc could all have been talked about in it!

Lc2015123 wrote: »
    Thank you for replying so quickly!

I basically started off by saying "dia duit radio na gaeilge, conas ata tu?" And was saying that i have the LC coming up and i think it would be a good idea to talk about it today on the radio. I mostly disagreed with it but kept addressing the listeners, and also gave reasons to why some people would think its a good system but concluded that in my opinion its to academic overall.

It was my first time doing this as i always do the aiste but had a really good aiste for coras oidechais learned off and it didnt come up. Seems i was lucky to get a talk and not a debate because i dont even know the layout. What is the marking scheme for section C

The breakdown is 5 marks for the correct format, 15 for staying on task and keeping it relevant to the question then 80 marks for your wealth of Irish, grammar, vocab etc. etc.

Also I think it stated that the exams were over in the question, but I wouldn't worry about it I doubt you'd lose any marks.

The breakdown is 5 marks for the correct format, 15 for staying on task and keeping it relevant to the question then 80 marks for your wealth of Irish, grammar, vocab etc. etc.

Also I think it stated that the exams were over in the question, but I wouldn't worry about it I doubt you'd lose any marks.

Ah crap 😂 thanks a mill for the info. Ill sleep tonight

Seems like lots of people didn't realise the flexibility of the scéalta móra. It was a very generous title imo and the education system, health system, terrorism, racism, old people, young people, water charges, politics, media etc could all have been talked about in it!

I didnt understand that question which now looking at it makes me sick because if i wasnt so nervous i would have figured it out in a second and could of put 2 A1 essays together. At least i got to use one of them. If i hadn't and came out and heard what the title meant i neber would have gotten over it

• Advertisement

I still wonder how that marking scheme works. I've come up with one way: if one gets relevance of 13/15, and say the Irish standard is 75/80, then the marks you would get for the standard of irish would be 13/15x75/80, which is 65/80.

Otherwise, anyone could write a random essay out and get 85/100 without it being in any way related to the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yeah, I really doubt they will worry too much about whether people say "with the exams now over" or "as we face into our exams" tbh.

I still wonder how that marking scheme works. I've come up with one way: if one gets relevance of 13/15, and say the Irish standard is 75/80, then the marks you would get for the standard of irish would be 13/15x75/80, which is 65/80.

Otherwise, anyone could write a random essay out and get 85/100 without it being in any way related to the question.

I'd assume it works the same way as English, on a tiered marking scheme. So yeah if you only got 5/15 for purpose (33%) I'd say you could get 33 percent of the 80 marks max, (26m)

I'd assume it works the same way as English, on a tiered marking scheme. So yeah if you only got 5/15 for purpose (33%) I'd say you could get 33 percent of the 80 marks max, (26m)

Oh yeah, didn't think of English! That does make sense, a lot nicer than my system for sure! Hopefully I won't get docked too much marks for showing both sides of the Education System.

Oh yeah, didn't think of English! That does make sense, a lot nicer than my system for sure! Hopefully I won't get docked too much marks for showing both sides of the Education System.

I done the same and was told because it wasnt a debate per say, it was a talk you were open to talk about both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bsd

I fully disagreed with oideachais oraid and asked a couple of teachers after and they said thats alright. It an oraid you can agree or disagree as much as you want

Bsd wrote: »
    I fully disagreed with oideachais oraid and asked a couple of teachers after and they said thats alright. It an oraid you can agree or disagree as much as you want

Thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bsd

Also people who said they got 0 in the pre for doing that, i fully diagreed in the pre as well with a title almost the exact same and it was an oraid and i got 77

Bsd wrote: »
    Also people who said they got 0 in the pre for doing that, i fully diagreed in the pre as well with a title almost the exact same and it was an oraid and i got 77

Yeah I'd say it was lazy correcting more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mun_ster45

I did the "scealta mora" question and only wrote about coras oideachais and why it is a big issue in the news today, referring to how it makes the alcohol problem worse amougnst teenagers and how sport is an issue for teenagers because of the C.O. Would I lose many marks? only realised after the exam that it was plural of sceal!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Irish essays are marked ad rem, meaning only what is pertinent and relevant, it's a bit like purpose in English. This is to stop the learned off scealta etc. You are marked on only what is relevant to the title. I would imagine that radio talk could discuss both sides of the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

Dyou think i'll get the place name Gleann Colm Cille when I wrote "Glaon Colm Cille" ? Every mark counts :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Trekker47

Bah_Humbug wrote: »
    Dyou think i'll get the place name Gleann Colm Cille when I wrote "Glaon Colm Cille" ? Every mark counts :/

I'd imagine so, just as long as it's close enough to be recognisable.

Advertisement