Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Free Upgrade?

Options
  • 08-06-2015 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Have just gotten a Message-box pop up telling me I can get a windows 10 Free Upgrade. Apparently the Full Version is totally free it's not just a Trial.

Legit or hoax?

Is it a case of if it sounds like a scam it is a scam?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Its legit the pop up just lets you enter your email so they can contact you when its launched at the end of next month. You have to upgrade inside the first 12 months otherwise the price goes upto $110ish and if you are on an older version its not free either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you click to 'reserve' your upgrade, they will notify you when it's available and you can choose a download time that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

jimmii wrote: »
    Its legit the pop up just lets you enter your email so they can contact you when its launched at the end of next month. You have to upgrade inside the first 12 months otherwise the price goes upto $110ish and if you are on an older version its not free either.

I have read the faq and my understanding is that it is free. Is it not??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its free if you upgrade before July 2016. You've plenty of time from when it launches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

lulu1 wrote: »
    I have read the faq and my understanding is that it is free. Is it not??

Its free if you are upgrading from 7 or 8 and are a consumer. If you are upgrading from an older version or an enterprise user then you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I assume this does not include Tablets?

I got the notification for the upgrade on my Windows 7 laptop but have not received the notification on my Tablet running on Windows 8.1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I assume this does not include Tablets?

I got the notification for the upgrade on my Windows 7 laptop but have not received the notification on my Tablet running on Windows 8.1.

I think they excluded "8.1 with Bing" as opposed to just tablets itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The one thing I do not like is the inability to defer Windows updates.

The one thing I do not like is the inability to defer Windows updates.
    Home version only. Pro should still allow it.

If anyone's not getting the upgrade prompt, check that you have the KB3035583 update installed. It also won't offer the upgrade if it thinks your system may not be compatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭mrtom

Will the upgrade overwrite my Recovery partition to W 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭mrtom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I have loads of photos / files in the C and D drives .

Will all these dissappear if I upgrade to W10 ? ( I have win8 at the moment )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I have loads of photos / files in the C and D drives .

Will all these dissappear if I upgrade to W10 ? ( I have win8 at the moment )

The upgrade will retain your photos, documents, apps etc. The migration tool will warn you in advance if there are some apps installed that cannot be migrated (eg antivirus).

But you should back up important documents and photos before any big upgrade. And of course you should make regular backups anyway in case of hardware failure, theft, fire etc...

Advertisement