Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Park, Ashtown

Options
  • 08-06-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

Anybody living here or have any experience of the area?

Looking at a few apartments there this week, but I've only ever lived around D7/D8, so I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what the place is like. Many decent shops/cafes/pubs around? Is it quiet? Many families around or is it more young working people?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Don't live around there, but the Canal Bar in Ashtown has some excellent grub. The walk along the canal there is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Lived there for just over a year (til end of feb this year) and it is fine, the closer you are to the train station the better as there is the pub, super valu and shops, as well as more options for buses (from the halfway house) and the train into town. However the apartment right in 'the village' are generally €100+ more a month in rent than the ones closer to the rathoath road, due to location. The apartments further away are fine but are really only serviced by the one bus (120) unless you want to walk up the train station/into cabra.

Neighbourhood is generally quiet, a mix of young irish/european families and students, not really noisy or any anti-social behaviour. We also had free use of an onsite gym & Jacuzzi/sauna for a year through our apartment so was all good!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

That bar is a bit dodge, people doing coke off the toilets at 5pm on a Friday!! but if you can over look that its not bad.

The Asian Restaurant is good, as is the Indian take-away. The coffee is grand, expensive with rather rude staff but again if you can overlook this it is nice for a leisurely brunch.

Hairdresser/beauty place is great, good value, and always packed. Supervalu is basic and fine. It has the slowest pizza maker woman ever, if I see her behind the counter, I buy a frozen pizza.

The chemist is great.

The train station is brill but unfortunately Ashtown is one of the last stops so can be a nightmare to get on in the morning.

Walkable to the Phoenix Park and the lovely café called Lo-Cal and most importantly The Hole in the Wall is only around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Thanks everyone. Had a look at a couple of apartments out there but didn't really like it. Royal Canal Park seems a bit remote for people without a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sidders

Its not bad and if travelling towards maynooth/dunboyne, the classy broombridge statios is free ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Upthedubs48

It's now May 2018 and ive lived here from day one. I bought my apartment and now own it.
    I had issues in the past but seems to be improved a lot.
    My neighbours change nearly every year as there mostly all rented out.
    And now the landlords are hiking up the rent from 1300 to 1700 a month roughly which i think is a rip off. They can't justify it at all, there mortgage isint going up so why is the rent??
    I love it here and i am glad I own my apt, no plans on moving as family are near by.
    The only people who will distroy this area, are the miserable, freeloading bastards AKA the landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Have a friend who lives here, this may not be a big thing for everyone but after going to a house party there a couple of weeks ago I was struck by how dark and devoid of street lighting the stretch of the canal is, between the Luas stop and the estate itself. And going by Google Maps, there isn't another walking route to and from the Luas which wouldn't add a considerable amount of extra time to the journey, so you have to brave the aforementioned darkness in the evenings.

I'm sure I only found it unnerving because it was a new, unfamiliar area to me - you'd probably get used to it pretty quickly, but all the same it's worth mentioning.

I agree but im sure that will change with all the new houses going up.
    Myt take another 10 years, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This is a really old thread.

That part of the canal has planning permission for an upgrade. Due to start soon. It's part of the full upgrade along the length of the royal canal, a lot of which is already done.

Ok, but we'll see how soon "soon" is, shall we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

And going by Google Maps, there isn't another walking route to and from the Luas which wouldn't add a considerable amount of extra time to the journey, so you have to brave the aforementioned darkness in the evenings.

I walk from RCP to Broombridge Luas regularly. During the day I go by the canal and it takes 15 minutes. At night, I go via the Ratoath Road bridge, then take the shortcut through Ventry Park (see screenshot attached).

Google says it's 22 minutes but I'm not a fast walker and make it comfortably in 20, so it's only 5 mins more than the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

It's now May 2018 and ive lived here from day one. I bought my apartment and now own it.
    I had issues in the past but seems to be improved a lot.
    My neighbours change nearly every year as there mostly all rented out.
    And now the landlords are hiking up the rent from 1300 to 1700 a month roughly which i think is a rip off. They can't justify it at all, there mortgage isint going up so why is the rent??
    I love it here and i am glad I own my apt, no plans on moving as family are near by.
    The only people who will distroy this area, are the miserable, freeloading bastards AKA the landlords.

Except it can be justified in 3 words...Supply and Demand

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have no problem walking it at night - never really thought about it really.

if you were nervous you could walk down the ballyboggan road and up through the industrial estate, or as someone said through the rathoath estate

Advertisement