Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Instant coffee less than €10 - recommendations?

• 08-06-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭

Let me preface this by saying that I already have an espresso machine, plus Nespresso machine, so I have the facility to make "proper" coffee already. :)

Sometimes though you just want to take a cup, put some grit in it, add water, walk out and be done. Please no mention of Aeropress machines etc, keep this to instant coffee only.
    I was rather surprised at how nice Azera was, Nescafe Barista style had a kick, although aftertaste wasn't great.

Those are the only instants I've tried. What I'm looking for is strongest coffee, that also happens to taste pretty good for under €10, and available in the local supermarket (Supervalu/Aldi/Lidl)

My local Supervalu has a dizzying array, including Carte Noir, Azera, etc. Are the Aldi/Lidl ones better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Nescafe Espresso is very nice. 2 heaped teaspoons does the trick.

7613033523113_T1_copy_10627.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Batesy wrote: »
    Nescafe Espresso is very nice. 2 heaped teaspoons does the trick.

Azera seem to have an Espresso version out now too.

Is Carte Noir strong too? Hear a few people recommend it.

Only one suggestion? I assume it's probably the wrong forum for instant coffee discussion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Carte Noir is my choice for instant coffee. Have tried a good few different brands (all the so called fancy makes) for the office and always come back to Carte Noir as my number 1 choice instant.

Is it strong or any particular version to look out for?

• Advertisement

They didn't have the Nescafe Espresso, but I went to try the Azera Espresso as it's probably similar.

Found it a bit too creamy and didn't give a good hit no matter how strong I made it (gave me stomach ache in fact).

While in Lidl I picked up some Bellarom Instant "Strong Mocha Blend" (can't find any reference to it on Google search) and at first I didn't think it smelled great, but it tastes nice and smooth and has a nice caffeine hit. Only around €2-€3 for a large container.

Will check out Carte Noir, although I spotted 2 versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I recently tried the Aldi version of Millicano...it was beautiful. I usually drink Kenco instant and this was much nicer.

Yeah I didn't think much of the Aldi/Lidl nespresso pods (also they apparently can break some machines), but the instants seem to be nice for the times when you gotta pour 'n' run out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Douwe Egberts has been my instant of choice for over 20 years. Tried the Carte Noirs, Kencos etc but always go back to the Douwe.
    I have noticed that in soft water areas Pure Indulgence is the best but in hard water areas Pure Gold is better.

Advertisement