Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newb needs advice!

Options
  • 08-06-2015 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi guys,

sorry if I am stepping on another thread, or just taking up space with newb questions, but I'd love some advice.

I was out yesterday (Beautiful day) on the canal in Sallins, just past the aqueduct, checking out a spot i was told about.
    It's been a good while since i had been out so I blew the dust off the old stuff and got out.

Got a couple smaller fish, Rudd I think, but couldn't get anything bigger, even tho I could see them swimming!

I had slightly thicker line then I think i should have had (don't know exacts), long float and maggots.
    I had put out ground bait regularly as well as maggots/worms.

Anyone any ideas on what I could have done to bring up my chances?
    I know the fish were there, I obviously just didn't have the skill to get them!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I only fish for roach and that the odd time so i wouldnt be as experienced as other people,but i always find if i can see them they can see you so id rarely catch...rake ur swim before you start,it clears ur swim of weeds etc it also muddies up the swim n brings up food for the fish, drop down to three pound line and use a size 14 r 16 hook... id stick with maggots they're fine!! maybe prebait and rake the swim the evening before and go fishing early the next morning... keep feeding ur swim a little and often...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I only fish for roach and that the odd time so i wouldnt be as experienced as other people,but i always find if i can see them they can see you so id rarely catch...rake ur swim before you start,it clears ur swim of weeds etc it also muddies up the swim n brings up food for the fish, drop down to three pound line and use a size 14 r 16 hook... id stick with maggots they're fine!! maybe prebait and rake the swim the evening before and go fishing early the next morning... keep feeding ur swim a little and often...

This is pretty good advice but I'd go as far as to say drop down to a size 18 Fine wire hook and use a fine diameter hook length, as for feeding, I always go by the rule that you can't take out what you've already put in so don't overdo the feed to start or you could spoil the swim entirely. I couldn't agree more with Raking the swim though, brings in all sizes of fish. Experiment with your baits too, double red moggot, double white, single red/white, breadpunch, worm tail etc. but most of all, just enjoy it.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Bandit0

uch wrote: »
    This is pretty good advice but I'd go as far as to say drop down to a size 18 Fine wire hook and use a fine diameter hook length, as for feeding, I always go by the rule that you can't take out what you've already put in so don't overdo the feed to start or you could spoil the swim entirely. I couldn't agree more with Raking the swim though, brings in all sizes of fish. Experiment with your baits too, double red moggot, double white, single red/white, breadpunch, worm tail etc. but most of all, just enjoy it.

Really appreciate the advice lads, sounds great!

I got to a tackle shop today and grabber some 3lb line, 18hooks and a couple other bits I needed.

Going out later on so hopefully this will make the difference!

Bandit0 wrote: »
    Really appreciate the advice lads, sounds great!

I got to a tackle shop today and grabber some 3lb line, 18hooks and a couple other bits I needed.

Going out later on so hopefully this will make the difference!

Did you get out after ?

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Sorry for hijacking your thread op. I live near Sallins and was just wondering where you guys buy bait; maggots in particular. I usually go into Dublin city centre but it is a bit of trek. Tried the fishing shop in Lucan, Co. Dublin but the quality wasn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Berserker wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking your thread op. I live near Sallins and was just wondering where you guys buy bait; maggots in particular. I usually go into Dublin city centre but it is a bit of trek. Tried the fishing shop in Lucan, Co. Dublin but the quality wasn't great.

Countryman Angling, across the road from Swan Dowlings in Naas. That is unless he's finally sold the shop (he's had it for sale for years but he was still open till at least August last year anyway). Other than that McCarthys in Prosperous, the main chap working in the fishing section there is also good for a few tips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

c g hobbies in celbridge does maggots. its at youngs crossroad, its at the back of a house at the crossroad

Did you get out after ?

Did indeed mate. Couple small Rudd and a couple Perch, nothing substantial yet.
    Tried the thinner line and a different waggler set-up and it seemed to make a difference.
    Hoping to go out again tonight, and see if raking it will help.

Hey man, yeah I go to countryman as well, really nice i there and usually have a good stock.

on a side not, I went into a shop in Newbridge in a 'Garden Center' to picj up some bait as I was in the area. that encounter just proved to me that I should stick with countryman, as the guy was not someone I'd want to deal with again.

Out again yesterday...
    Small perch and nothing else.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but there is obviously something!

I'm gonna invest in a rake and hope that helps some...

Hopefully one of these days i can get myself a Tench!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Hopefully one of these days i can get myself a Tench!!

What time of day are you fishing? Best time to catch tench is at dusk or dawn. Personally, I nearly always catch them at the former. Look out for champagne like bubble in the waters that you are fishing. That is the tell tale sign for them. You need to fish off the bottom for them too.

• Advertisement

What time of day are you fishing? Best time to catch tench is at dusk or dawn. Personally, I nearly always catch them at the former. Look out for champagne like bubble in the waters that you are fishing. That is the tell tale sign for them. You need to fish off the bottom for them too.

Yeah usually going out about an hour or two before dark and stay out for a while.
    Haven't got myself set up with a night time rig yet, so that's int he works.

Yeah usually going out about an hour or two before dark and stay out for a while.
    Haven't got myself set up with a night time rig yet, so that's int he works.

Is the water Very clear ? if it is you definitely need a Rake to have any chance

21/25

Is the water Very clear ? if it is you definitely need a Rake to have any chance

Yeah it had been pretty clear in parts.

Yeah it had been pretty clear in parts.

I'd say thats your problem, try and find a bit of water that isn't clear but still Rake it anyway

21/25

Jeasus lads,

Went out there a few nights ago, about half eight in the evening and couldn't get a damn thing!
    I decided that I needed to get out a little later on and stay 'till after dark.

I showed up, raked the swim, put out some ground bait, got my float together -glow-stick and all- sat back and waited for the magic....
    nothing.... Not a single bite!

No idea what i'm doing wrong. Hopefully it was just a bad night... I'll pop out again and hope it gets a little better.
    might even try a different spot.
    I imagine the young lads down the way with the fire going and music blaring from their car didn't help :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

A fire attracts fish!!! (can open)

I wouldnt be worried at all about overfeeding a swim - a shoal of breem perch or roach will eat the biggest bucket of grounbait you have in less than an hour - my advice would be to throw alot of bait in a few hrs before you start, then top up when you come back to hold the fish you have attracted.

Use a feeder after that - drop it in, twitch back to empty the feeder and also drop the hook in the pile of bait.

ardinn wrote: »
    A fire attracts fish!!! (can open)

I wouldnt be worried at all about overfeeding a swim - a shoal of breem perch or roach will eat the biggest bucket of grounbait you have in less than an hour - my advice would be to throw alot of bait in a few hrs before you start, then top up when you come back to hold the fish you have attracted.

Use a feeder after that - drop it in, twitch back to empty the feeder and also drop the hook in the pile of bait.

Thanks for the advice man!
    Now, getting back to the bit that blew my mind.... A fire attracts fish?!!

Advertisement