Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with owner question

Options
  • 08-06-2015 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hello,

I live in an owner occupied house with the lady who owns it and was just wondering who is responsible for replacing fixtures and fittings? For example bulbs etc? A bulb has been broken now in the overhead light of our cooker for 6 months now and I am going to buy a new one myself as thats the only way it will get replaces. Should I ask for the money back? (They are expensive bulbs at over €12 a pop).

From talking to a few friends the general consensus seems to be that the landlord or owner is responisble for all repair and replacement to fixtures and fittings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Conrad83 wrote: »
    Hello,

I live in an owner occupied house with the lady who owns it and was just wondering who is responsible for replacing fixtures and fittings? For example bulbs etc? A bulb has been broken now in the overhead light of our cooker for 6 months now and I am going to buy a new one myself as thats the only way it will get replaces. Should I ask for the money back? (They are expensive bulbs at over €12 a pop).

From talking to a few friends the general consensus seems to be that the landlord or owner is responisble for all repair and replacement to fixtures and fittings?

Yes, she is responsible for the upkeep of the house. However, there are no real laws regarding you living there, you have very few rights and very few obligations. However, I wouldn't go asking for money for replacing bulbs to be honest. Its only 12 euro and if you want it fixed that bad, just buy it and say nothing. No bulb may not annoy her as much as you and she may not want it replaced. I know the bulb you are talking about, my cooker would be perfectly easy to use even without it, although there is a large kitchen window nearby.
    Don't rock the boat if it is an otherwise harmonious place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What I used to do when in that situation was say, the bulb needs to be replaced, do you want me to pick one up and I'll just knock it off the rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I would have thought bulbs are a consumable therefore its not the landlords responsibility(as a landlord) though if they are living there too I would expect them to chip in

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

Thanks for the replies. It's not about the money whatsoever, I just wanted to get a feel for people's thoughts on the situation. Whenever something breaks or needs replacing it is generally me who ends up having to do it as she won't or will take a long time to. I only replaced the bulb in the fridge recently and a few other kitchen utensils/dishes that needs replacing (which I have no issue with) and I feel I am being taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Ideally the owner should be fixing it, it is their house after all but unfortunately you have very little say in an owner occupied house.

If you mentioned to the owner something like "If I were to get a new bulb for the cooker would you willing to split the cost of it, as they're about €12 to replace"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A bulb? Check the lease but that sounds like a tenant item to me. If you are living with LL it does not really seem essential and it is really up to LL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

As she lives there, I'd be asking her to split the cost. If she didn't live there, I'd just replace it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

You are a lodger, not a tenant. So I see no reason for you to be replacing anything. A bulb in your bedroom maybe, but that's as far as I would go.

But, if you are otherwise happy, or think you are getting a good rent, for the sake of harmony I would just do it, and then innocently mention it to her. Maybe she would get the hint then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Been on the other side of this argument I would have always replaced them myself. I did however not replace the ones in the extractor when they blew ,I was not asked either, not really essential. Blubs could be seen as the occupiers responsibility. In you situation I would say it to her give her the option of going halves on the bulb and see what she says.

• Advertisement

The owner is probably just not bothered. The lights over the cooker are not used by a lot of people. I would never pay to replace them in the places I've been living as they are never used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I got a bulb for my oven in Dealz for 1.49 euro - have a look there first.

Advertisement