Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playwright - Blackrock what's happening???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Still nothing has opened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Beginning to suspect the PP tweaks are simply to stop the existing approval from expiring.

That or the owners are determined to keep this thread moving along with never-ending speculation.

See your Avoca and raise you a Tesco Express :rolleyes:

‘That or the owners are determined to keep this thread moving along with never-ending speculation.’

Appears so. Still not open and still no indication of what actually will open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭frash

‘That or the owners are determined to keep this thread moving along with never-ending speculation.’

Appears so. Still not open and still no indication of what actually will open.

3 months this thread has been sitting her quietly and you bump it up for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Damnit, I got excited. I work locally and hear "inside information" every week or two. It's usually the Tesco Express spiel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 In The Conversation

New planning permission sign up. Looks like it is Dunnes Stores parent company requesting permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 In The Conversation

Dunnes are in talks to buy Donnybrook Fair. So may be a proposed DF rather than a Dunnes.

Just in case anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Well, I don't think Dunnes were mentioned by anyone as a potential store.

They do have a smaller format store in Saggart and may just replicate that as it may be too big for a Donnnybrook fair outlet and still no confirmation of a df/dunnes deal.

But Better Value Unlimited is Dunnes

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Better-Value-Unlimited-Company-21315

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Nobody object now for the lovajaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Moving2017

They application was declared invalid:

Reason below:

The application does not comply with Article 23(1)(f) which requires that plans and drawings of floor plans, elevations and sections shall indicate in figures the principal dimensions (including overall height) of any proposed structure and the site, and site or layout plans shall indicate the distance of any such structure from the boundaries of the site. Note: Heights on elevations are required; dimensions of signs and dimensions of lettering required; height of proposed plant platform required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Moving2017 wrote: »
    They application was declared invalid:

Reason below:

The application does not comply with Article 23(1)(f) which requires that plans and drawings of floor plans, elevations and sections shall indicate in figures the principal dimensions (including overall height) of any proposed structure and the site, and site or layout plans shall indicate the distance of any such structure from the boundaries of the site. Note: Heights on elevations are required; dimensions of signs and dimensions of lettering required; height of proposed plant platform required.

Back to the drawing board.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Back to the drawing board.

:(

Not at all. They'll just resubmit. It was just deemed an invalid application, it wasn't turned down.

Someone will get a slap on the wrist for not doing their job and they'll redraft.

It is Dunnes !

It is Dunnes !

What newspaper is that a photo of?

frash wrote: »
    What newspaper is that a photo of?

Not sure. Was just put up in a local Facebook page ‘I love Blackrock ‘

It’s even made it to the journal ! The comment from Ossian about having to go to Blackrock or Stillorgan for their supermarket made me laugh. As if supermarkets on your doorstep is the normal thing. Storeshttp://jrnl.ie/4178183

A former landmark pub in Blackrock is set to become a Dunnes Stores

A former landmark pub in Blackrock is set to become a Dunnes Storeshttp://jrnl.ie/4178183

It’s even made it to the journal ! The comment from Ossian about having to go to Blackrock or Stillorgan for their supermarket made me laugh. As if supermarkets on your doorstep is the normal thing. Storeshttp://jrnl.ie/4178183

A former landmark pub in Blackrock is set to become a Dunnes Stores

A former landmark pub in Blackrock is set to become a Dunnes Storeshttp://jrnl.ie/4178183

that is a bit laughable but his comment about Dunnes holding onto buildings in Dun Laoghaire was fair enough

frash wrote: »
    that is a bit laughable but his comment about Dunnes holding onto buildings in Dun Laoghaire was fair enough

For sure and not just in DL either. Appears to be part of their business plan to stop competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For sure and not just in DL either. Appears to be part of their business plan to stop competition.

They all play these games, including funding ad hoc community groups to object to applications for planning permission from their competitors.

Though it can backfire as happened with the Supervalu fellow in Deansgrange. He financed a community group that appeared from nowhere to object to the development at the old Bank of Ireland when it was proposed to demolish the building and replace it with a Lidl & new BoI branch. Permission was eventually granted but in the meantime, the Supervalu guy applied for PP to build a block of student flats behind his supermarket and the same community group that he created successfully objected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Work has commenced on the fascia of the site now. New enclosures are up around the car park entrance site.

Good to see something happening with the site! Sounds like they may be under pressure to get it ready to open once the planning comes through!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Do they have an underground car park? As the current car park is tiny, not sure how it would support an entire supermarket
    Also the building has a large mezzanine - are they just going to rip it out?

No. The site does not have an underground car park. I do see though that the site is currently up for sale for a while. It could be for the whole site as I don't know what is happening yet. I would say applying for more planning permission would be the best way to do more work on the site including the new underground car park.

No. The site does not have an underground car park. I do see though that the site is currently up for sale for a while. It could be for the whole site as I don't know what is happening yet. I would say applying for more planning permission would be the best way to do more work on the site including the new underground car park.

Dunnes or Better Value are recorded as the owners of the site according to the planning permission application form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Dunnes have purchased the site from the Butler brothers.

Its a new format they are putting in and the car park in situ is suitable for their needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

If you go on Google Street View and "drive" from the direction of The Wishing Well, you can see the difference in whats happened at the site. The picture at the traffic lights is obviously more recent as it shows the building as I presume it looks like now but the picture before it shows the hoarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭spillit67

I think eventually they’ll try and take the site next door and create a one way in and out.

That strip mall has made the owners a fortune. It has rarely been unoccupied- there is only one unit there that has had turnover in the last 10 years (other than O’Briens taking over a second unit) and that is the current Barbour shop.

The entrance and exit is going to be a mess there. It’s about time the traffic management personnel got their fingers out and looked at the area. The overpriorisation of the traffic on the “new” road over local traffic has been ridiculous. You have a secondary school and four primary schools on or just off Newtown Park Avenue with traffic coming up and down in the mornings, not to mention commuters. You’ll get down to the new road and there is very little traffic. It actually makes the (very limited) public transport in the area more limited as buses can be stuck for 5-10 minutes simply trying to navigate the Newpark/Carysfort traffic mess.

Hopefully this spurs some cop on.

• Advertisement

spillit67 wrote: »
    I think eventually they’ll try and take the site next door and create a one way in and out.

That strip mall has made the owners a fortune. It has rarely been unoccupied- there is only one unit there that has had turnover in the last 10 years (other than O’Briens taking over a second unit) and that is the current Barbour shop.

The entrance and exit is going to be a mess there. It’s about time the traffic management personnel got their fingers out and looked at the area. The overpriorisation of the traffic on the “new” road over local traffic has been ridiculous. You have a secondary school and four primary schools on or just off Newtown Park Avenue with traffic coming up and down in the mornings, not to mention commuters. You’ll get down to the new road and there is very little traffic. It actually makes the (very limited) public transport in the area more limited as buses can be stuck for 5-10 minutes simply trying to navigate the Newpark/Carysfort traffic mess.

Hopefully this spurs some cop on.

About the bus service for Newtownpark; Go-Ahead Ireland will be operating the 114 from Sunday the 20th of January which might give an increase to the current Dublin Bus timetable. The great thing about the new BusConnects plan for the area is that it's giving a huge expansion in the bus service through Newtownpark Avenue which could help reduce the amount of car traffic in the area for new customers coming into Dunnes Stores. The new orbital route, the S8, is proposed to replace the 114 to pass outside Dunnes opposite Marian Park. The S8 will go between Dun Laoghaire & Tallaght every 20 minutes during weekdays while every 15 minutes at peak. The 225 & 227 will operate a frequent bus service as local routes along the Monkstown Link Road every day. It will 15 minutes all day for the 225 & it will be 30 minutes all day for the 227 on weekdays.

But apart from the schools, the swimming pool around St Augustines School & the Newpark sports centre there isn't a whole lot of things in the area to make it attractive in it for people stay about the place for long unless they have families or by living there themselves. The layout of Newtownpark Avenue is really like another village in Dublin. The site of the new Dunnes Stores itself stretching over to the Newpark Centre entrance has no through passage way for cars to drive from one end from the site to the other. The middle boundary wall that splits the site through from behind O'Briens Off Licence is covered by a recycling bank which is really giving a terrible appearance for the area.

I got a letter in the door in the letterbox today from FG Councillor Barry Ward about progress on The Playwright.

He has a website to view the application & progress on the site written at the bottom of the letter. I will put it up here for you to look at it.

http://www.barryward.ie/news/playright-progress/

He said in the letter that the owners of Dunnes Stores were granted permission by replacing the thatch roof above the site to a slate roof from DLRCC in 2014. The council have also received their planning application to put the new signage & A/C system recently. He remarked that observations/objections can be made by the 6th of September 2018. He also confirmed that Dunnes will be a new food outlet for the area which is presumably another Dunnes supermarket. This will give a good bit of more competition between LIDL & Supervalu near Newtownpark Avenue.

Advertisement