Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Television Examples of Different Accents

• 08-06-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

An Italian friend who lives in England has asked me if I could advise him on which TV programmes could help him in terms of understanding different English language accents. He's doing an IELTS course and he knows that the exam will feature different accents (including English speaking people doing mock foreign accents - why exactly I don't know). I've come up with this list, I know a few are pretty general because Ireland, Wales and Scotland doesn't have the same accent throughout for example, but would be grateful for any suggestions.

London:
    Only Fools and Horses
    Eastenders

Manchester:
    Coronation Street

Birmingham/Scotland/London:
    Porridge (Fletch - London, Godber - Birmingham, Mr. Mackay and Maclaren- Scotland

Liverpool:
    Bread
    The Liver Birds

Newcastle:
    The Likely Lads
    Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads
    Ant and Dec

East of England/Wales:
    Gavin and Stacey

Ireland (perhaps a northern one would be useful):
    Father Ted

American:
    Friends

Australia:
    Neighbours
    Home and Away

Yorkshire:
    Emmerdale

Mock foreign accents:
    Allo Allo

Scotland and Birmingham I'm struggling on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Fair city if you are sadistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Fair city if you are sadistic.

He lives in England so he's blessed that he can't get it haha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Birmingham - Peaky Blinders
    Scotland - Rab C Nesbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Very Bored wrote: »
    He lives in England so he's blessed that he can't get it haha!!!

Ok then hollyoaks :pac:

Osborne wrote: »
    Birmingham - Peaky Blinders
    Scotland - Rab C Nesbit

Forgot about Rab C Nesbit... I could tell him they always have someone who speaks like that in the exam lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Rab C Nesbitt for Glasgow

Trainspotting for general Scotland

Byker Grove or Our Friends in the North for Newcastle

Jasper Carrot for Birmingham

Inbetweeners for the Home Counties (Bucks, Herts, Surrey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A lot of accents covered in this classic.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

"Sminky shorts" for very accurate Irish accents.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Rab C Nesbitt for Glasgow

Trainspotting for general Scotland

Byker Grove or Our Friends in the North for Newcastle

Jasper Carrot for Birmingham

Inbetweeners for the Home Counties (Bucks, Herts, Surrey)

Jasper Carrot made me think of Billy Connolly for Glasgow thanks :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Were they all Scottish in taggart, or just taggart himself?

• Advertisement

All as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

When your friend thinks they know how to understand various accents fairly well, test them out on a strong Liverpool accent. And watch their confidence drain away..

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Second Sminky Shorts. They do a whole host of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

He could YouTube the regional news of each area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Na, they were all displaced aliens from the planet Zog.:P

What is Sminky Shorts? I looked it up on YouTube and all I could find was stuff about elephants and cows.
    He could YouTube the regional news of each area.

Good idea.
    When your friend thinks they know how to understand various accents fairly well, test them out on a strong Liverpool accent. And watch their confidence drain away..

I've always been puzzled by the bewilderment at scouse accents. I spend a lot of time over in Liverpool and find it very easy to understand (though that could be familiarity). Its Newcastle I find hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Glaswegian accents in their rawest form seldom make it to tv due the fact that subtitles would be needed (probably Rab is the closest equivalent).

Matt Lucas is from Bristol (yeah but no but) and occasionally wanders over the border to his Welsh village of which he is the only gay.

cml387 wrote: »
    Glaswegian accents in their rawest form seldom make it to tv due the fact that subtitles would be needed (probably Rab is the closest equivalent).

Matt Lucas is from Bristol (yeah but no but) and occasionally wanders over the border to his Welsh village of which he is the only gay.
    A lot of accents are like that though. If I was to meet anyone here in real life, they'd most likely find me incomprehensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

What is Sminky Shorts? I looked it up on YouTube and all I could find was stuff about elephants and cows.

you found the right videos then :)

A lot of accents are like that though. If I was to meet anyone here in real life, they'd most likely find me incomprehensible.

Where are you from?

• Advertisement

The supreme exponent of Geordie speak is not on TV, but is Sid The Sexist in Viz.
    The writing is so well tuned to the accent that you can acquire it just by reading it out loud.

Where are you from?
    Dublin 4.

The supreme exponent of Geordie speak is not on TV, but is Sid The Sexist in Viz.
    The writing is so well tuned to the accent that you can acquire it just by reading it out loud.

The Fat Slags are the same with the Nottingham accent.

Dublin 4.

Can't imagine you're that hard to understand then :).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Get some Taggart into him, I also like a few sketches from Limmy's Show

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Alpha Romeo

Greame McDowell interview - American

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

'Allo 'Allo Anglofranco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Is this a Glasgow accent? I like to think I can understand most accents but after the first few seconds he might as well be speaking a different language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Still Game is a handy one for the Scottish too.

For Edinburgh accents try one of the series based on Ian Rankin's Rebus character (mainly the criminals).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Dad's Army would have a mixture of regional and class accents.

efb wrote: »
    'Allo 'Allo Anglofranco
    I was pissing by the door, when I heard two shats. You are holding in your hand a smoking goon; you are clearly the guilty potty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

lizzyman wrote: »
    Is this a Glasgow accent? I like to think I can understand most accents but after the first few seconds he might as well be speaking a different language

Aye, thats a "Weegie".

lizzyman wrote: »

Yeah, its Glesga alright. Strange thing is I have no problems understanding him. I guess it depends which accents you're used to. I've spent a lot of time around Glaswegians and Scots in general.

Thanks to everyone suggesting videos and series, I'm sure it will help him out.

I was pissing by the door, when I heard two shats. You are holding in your hand a smoking goon; you are clearly the guilty potty

I can't wait for him to see Captain Berterelli.

Especially the one where he's in the tank and it explodes and he stumbles out... whata mistakea da makea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rab C Nesbitt for Scottish accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Lenny Hernry for Birmingham and the movie The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie for an Edinburgh accent.

The film Red Road is good for Glasgow and Gregorys Girl for the annoying halfcast weggie accent from places like Livingston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Northern Ireland - Give my Head Peace
    West of Ireland - Tom Cruise in Far and Away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Been a long time since i did the ielts, but as far as i can remember, they wont ask you to identify the accent - you just have to listen to a piece of text and answer a few questions. Think back then it was a generic British accent, a Scottish one, and possibly American. Definitely nothing 'out there' or hard to understand.

The whole thing (to me) was a bit of a joke, really...:rolleyes:

I read once somewhere that accents are formed partly from environmental factors. North east England is subject to biting winds off the North Sea so that people speak with a clenched up mouth.
    Cork city and South Wales are both hilly, giving a sing song note to the voice that follows the hills up and down.
    And as for the Irish Midlands and the fens of Norfolk, well we say they're flat accents for a good reason.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

She's good at getting the essence of an accent but she's not spot on. If she thinks dats bleedin Duhblin den she needz da fink aghen. I'd say she's more than enough for my friend though so thanks.

In terms of the IELTS they don't expect you to identify the accent, at times that would be hard even for a native speaker. But they do throw in, lets say educated regional accents, for example they will have someone from Liverpool but they won't have a true scouser and certainly not a wacker.

Advertisement