Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Irish summer ?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

2007 by a considerable distance.....a poisonous summer.

It rained every day for 3 months. ...and that's no exaggeration. ....it was consecutive and in reasonable amounts, horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    could be the worst summer we've had for a few years in the Dublin/Meath/Kildare region?

The first half of summer was grand, but things really went pear shaped after about mid July. MT's outlooks as well as BBC's outlooks doesn't exactly sound positive for the remainder of this month either.

Most summers have their fine moments, even the dire Summer of 2012 did believe it or not if you can't remember. Summer 2015 had a fine June and good start to August - here in the east, not in the west.

The problem with this Summer would be the lack of a prolonged fine, sunny, warm spell which early May did deliver - it felt warm in the sun but the temperatures weren't actually that warm. The closest to a fine spell we got was June 17th-20th which parts of the north and west didn't even get.

Summer 2016 was an average to fine Summer here and the only problem I found with that was the lack of sunshine. Other than the lack of sunshine, you can say that Summer 2016 was a good Summer here in the east of the country - I argued about people in the west complaining last year but ya know what, I was an idiot to because looking at the statistics, it was not a nice Summer in the west. The same can be said about this Summer.

The GFS is continuing to hint at a fine warm spell for the end of August just like with the end of August 2016 except perhaps even better. The ECMWF only shows it towards the end of its run and a much longer delay on it taking place than the GFS. Met Éireann doesn't seem to be positive either - so the GFS is all on its own here.

So yes I would say it's been the worst Summer since 2012 but it's been quite comparable with Summer 2015 bar the fact that June was quite warm if you ask me.

ligerdub wrote: »

It rained every day for 3 months. ...and that's no exaggeration. ....it was consecutive and in reasonable amounts, horrible.

It is a bit of an exaggeration lol but I can't blame you for saying that 'cause it rained at least somewhere in Ireland every day from June 11th to July 29th 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Probably average to sightly below average here in Donegal this summer.

June was an awful month, we seemed to be under a permanent blanket of stratus all month, had plenty of rain and missed out completely on the fine spell the rest of the country had. No redeeming features at all.

July was a mixed bag, a few nice pleasant days and a few washouts but mostly just bland non descript days.

This month so far has been fairly dry, bright and sunny but very cool.

I'm very much looking forward to autumn at this stage, hopefully a few active fronts and tropical storm remnants to spice things up after such an uneventful summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

1985 was an awful Summer and the worst one I can remember. Saturday June 1 was the only real Summer's day we got that year.It was the day of the Bruce Springsteen concert in Slane.June 2 was ok,but not as fine or hot as June 1.It lashed rain all day on Monday June 3 and it continued to rain almost every day until September when we got the proverbial Indian Summer.
    1986 was also bad and we had Hurricane Charlie in August that year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Post deleted , off topic.

Mod Note: Post deleted , off topic.

Was that the notification I just received but when I refreshed, it went away? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

One summer it rained 53 days in a row in the SE

Summer holidays abroad shot up as everyone bailed in Aug that could or you just went mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

This summer has been going steadily downhill since mid June. It's cold today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

There was one year the sun didn't shine at all at all,
    I think 'twas in the 18th or 19th century;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z28xVdck_ts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

This topic always brings out a variety of views. It's an objective matter but the responses tend to be subjective - based on age of course, but also location (even for such a small country) and individual memories.

I think this summer has been quite good overall. I don't think a summer in Ireland lacking a lot of sun is a bad summer. Once it's mild and mostly dry, it's not a bad summer at all - for Ireland. It did deteriorate in recent weeks with the rain (although showers are a sign of warmth but there's been more than showers - and the temperature got quite cool at times). Earlier today was very mild again however (where I am anyway) but I'm wearing a cardigan now.

The worst summer in my memory has been 2012. But 1985/6 when I was a kid might have been worse - I don't remember them sufficiently though.

2012 wasn't just non stop rainy but mild however, it was actually relatively cold at times. 2011 wasn't much better. I remember 2008 being woeful too in terms of rain, but it wasn't cold. "Mugginess" is usually a constant feature of Irish summers I think, but 2011 and especially 2012 often didn't even have that, which I really found quite striking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

It's been an okay Summer, if you're judging it upon hot balmy days where you could actually lie out, it's been very poor, but if you're judging it upon warm days with not much rain, it's been above average. 2013 was the best Summer in recent memory when we had pretty much three weeks of mid 20s temperatures and cloudless skies, however is it just me, or is August pretty much always a bad month these days, honestly I'm struggling to remember the last good August that we had!!

For me, it is terrible since a week in June. I might have moss between my toes.I have vitamin D deficient.

The only thing good is my parsley grows really fast and green.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this summer started off very positive. We had a cracking May and the long range forecasts were pointing towards a warm and sunny end of July and August. June had multiple short, dry and warm/very warm spells with the hottest day of the year also recorded. July had 1 or 2 very short lived warm spells with some dryness but things really went pear shaped since the last 10 days of July and this month has been horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Gonzo wrote: »
    this summer started off very positive. We had a cracking May and the long range forecasts were pointing towards a warm and sunny end of July and August. June had multiple short, dry and warm/very warm spells with the hottest day of the year also recorded. July had 1 or 2 very short lived warm spells with some dryness but things really went pear shaped since the last 10 days of July and this month has been horrible.

Papers reported in July that Ireland and the UK were set to "sizzle" in August!
    Errmm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Steve F wrote: »
    Papers reported in July that Ireland and the UK were set to "sizzle" in August!
    Errmm :rolleyes:

SteveF, did you not spot the typo? That should have been "drizzle", not "sizzle"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I remember this summer because I was playing sport most nights and it rained at least once a day every day from the June weekend right into August.

April & May were lovely that year. Remember being outdoors in a t-shirt working and it was great.

No summer has ever got as bad as 2007 but this summer has been particularly poor. Aside from a brief blip in mid June, we haven't been able to put washing on the outside line without anxiously watching the skies ready to go out at a moment's notice to bring it in when the rain starts. Running a tumble dryer 12 months a year is bloody expensive!

One of the things which sticks out to me as being the coup de grace of a bad summer is not rain, not even temperature......but wind.

Last year must have been the calmest year wind years that I can recall. My hobbies are generally outdoorsy (I guess most are to be fair) and there has been a marked difference between this year and last year.

One of the things which sticks out to me as being the coup de grace of a bad summer is not rain, not even temperature......but wind.

Last year must have been the calmest year wind years that I can recall. My hobbies are generally outdoorsy (I guess most are to be fair) and there has been a marked difference between this year and last year.

I wouldn't call 2016 calm, especially during January and February. Although October was very anticyclonic.

I guess 2015 was one of your most hated Summers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It has been a quite average summer around these parts (south Laois). However, I notice that rainfall distribution has been very varied from area to area. Last year was the same, the grass was drying out and starting to burn up while 30 or 40 miles west of here the rains kept going.

Alot of people alluded to the last 10 days of July which were fairly decent here - partly cloudy, an odd shower and feeling warm in the sunshine.

It really has been only since August 13th that the rains have gathered momentum here - bringing some welcome falls.
    August 13th: 5.8mm
    August 14th: 9.8mm
    August 15th: 0.2mm
    August 16th: 1.4mm
    August 17th: 12.9mm
    August 18th: 8.9mm
    August 19th: 0.0mm
    August 20th: 17.3mm

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote:
    I wouldn't call 2016 calm, especially during January and February. Although October was very anticyclonic.

sryanbruen wrote:
    I guess 2015 was one of your most hated Summers?

2007....There are no other contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Been a grand summer. Warm and dry most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

2007 was the worst. It seemed to be raining all time and it was grey and cold; quite a lot of the days it was perfectly acceptable to wear as many layers as you would in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I live in Donegal and can only describe our summer as abysmal. Mostly wet, never ending wind and very little sunshine. Here's hoping September and October are better.

2007....There are no other contenders.

Well I did say one of your most hated and 2007 wasn't really about the wind.... 2015 was though. So was 1988 especially in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

lawred2 wrote: »
    Been a grand summer. Warm and dry most days.
    You sound like my Mother, if it's not raining and relatively warm (not too warm mind you :)) it's been a great Summer. Personally I think it's been a very average Summer, bar a good week towards the end of June, we've had little or no good spells of weather since, bar the odd good day here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligos Summer was fair until August which has been a poor month though rainfall is just slightly above normal.

June and July though we escaped with a lot of sunny or dry days that Mayo and parts of Donegal didnt get.

June rainfall was below normal July and August slightly above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

gaius c wrote: »
    we haven't been able to put washing on the outside line without anxiously watching the skies ready to go out at a moment's notice to bring it in when the rain starts. Running a tumble dryer 12 months a year is bloody expensive!

Whatever about the weather all our clothes have no problem drying inside on clothes horses with each lot taking 2 to 3 days to dry. There is no dampness or mold etc. on walls as a result.

Advertisement