Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst films and why

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The Spirit, trading on the style of Sin City but was absolute garbage. It's still the only film I've walked out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

e_e wrote: »
    Believe me the sequel makes the original look like The Great Dictator.

I believe you.

Hazys wrote: »
    40 Days and 40 nights

I was in 5th year of secondary school so 10 Euro was a lot for me at the time. I was on my way to the bookies to put 10 Euro on Brazil at 9/1 to win the 2002 World Cup but i ran into a couple of buddies who convinced me to go to the cinema instead.

Fcuking peer pressure. I ended up spending my 10 Euro on the sh1tiest movie of all time and then having to watch me lose out on 90 Euro later that summer after Brazil went on to win the World Cup. Fcuk you Josh Hartnett

Also not to mention an entire rape sequence that was played for comedy.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    Never liked him as an actor at all but he's impressed me with his director chops, he's got great promise behind the camera.

One and only film I've ever walked out on was Knowing, when it showed to be aliens there were groans from everyone in the screen and we all got up to leave at the same time. It was pretty funny how everyone cleared out of there before the credits.

Atrocious film, though.

See, I don't mind him - he was great in the Town and Dogma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Also not to mention an entire rape sequence that was played for comedy.

See, I don't mind him - he was great in the Town and Dogma.

WTF? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The Lego Movie - Turned it off after 40mins. I love animated movies but this was just seriously unfunny and boring. The worst animated film I have seen since Shrek 3.

465589.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615147/

Margin Call (2011)

Despised this movie with a passion.

Demi Moore, Bethany's accent, pretentious is an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

e_e wrote: »
    One I got in trouble for criticizing on this board before: Slumdog Millionaire

ZERO chemistry between the two romantic leads, a narrative that is just a series of ridiculous contrivances and emotionally manipulative to the point of complete ridiculousness. It's pretty much "suffering suffering suffering suffering suffering suffering suffering yay feel happy now!!!!". A poorly written, cheap mess of a movie and a strong contender for worst best picture winner ever. Very telling that it almost ended up being straight to video, should have stayed that way.

Completely agree. A TV movie imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Adamocovic wrote: »
    An unpopular opinion but I didn't like Avatar at all.

Maybe because I didnt watch it in 3D in the cinemas but people were boasting how awesome it was. Tried giving it a chance but eventually found myself just waiting for it to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

some wonderful spleen being vented in this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

City of Angels (Nicholas Cage).... appalling

On Deadly Ground (Stephen Seagal).... laughable

That Star Wars with the Jamaican chap Jar Jar Binks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    City of Angels (Nicholas Cage).... appalling

On Deadly Ground (Stephen Seagal).... laughable

That Star Wars with the Jamaican chap Jar Jar Binks

How could I have forgotten about him when rounding up all them films to feed the 1980s and 1990s martial arts obsession. I remember films like Hard To Kill and Nico to be long and boring. Did not see On Deadly Ground or any other of his later films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Gravity, gravity, gravity. My god its painful to watch. How on gods earth has it got 7.9 IMDb rating!!!! 7 oscars. Did I see the wrong film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Adamocovic wrote: »
    An unpopular opinion but I didn't like Avatar at all.

Maybe because I didnt watch it in 3D in the cinemas but people were boasting how awesome it was. Tried giving it a chance but eventually found myself just waiting for it to be over.
    Less unpopular than you'd think! I thought it would have been an OK film if it wasn't so overhyped.

Balf wrote: »
    Less unpopular than you'd think! I thought it would have been an OK film if it wasn't so overhyped.

Certainly not in my top 10 but not in my bottom 100 either. It was well made, had a good story but was overlong and overhyped for certain.

While I am not going to place it into the bad category per se, I forgot about the Saw franchise! Very nasty sadistic set of films for sure.

I remember in one of the episodes of Love/Hate, I got a laugh out of a father babysitting a child had one of them on while the baby sat on his lap watching it. I guess being trained early for the family business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Spiderman 3......awful muck. Hate those scenes when Toby maguire went all dark......walking down the street with black eyeliner and the dancing in the club where Mary Jane works. Pure awful sh1t!!!!!

I really enjoyed spiderman 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

wytch wrote: »
    Gravity, gravity, gravity. My god its painful to watch. How on gods earth has it got 7.9 IMDb rating!!!! 7 oscars. Did I see the wrong film?

Watched this movie in 3D..
    Only popular because Sandra Bullock can't do a bad movie in the eyes of the Americans.
    Completely forgot how bad it was..

Also found anchorman 2 painful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Absolutely loved the running man book but the movie butchered it in my opinion. Schwarzenegger is an awful actor.

micar wrote: »
    Spiderman 3......awful muck. Hate those scenes when Toby maguire went all dark......walking down the street with black eyeliner and the dancing in the club where Mary Jane works. Pure awful sh1t!!!!!

I really enjoyed spiderman 2.

What is it with superhero sequels? Look at these:

C.Reeve Superman: original=poor, second one=excellent, later ones=poor.
    Original Spiderman: first one=great, second=excellent, third=poor.
    Original Batamn: first one=excellent, second=excellent, third=ok, fourth=poor.
    Ironman: first one=excellent, sequels=poor to just ok.

Not all start of great (the 1978 Superman film was very poor but the second was the business) but usually they do but they all end up poor. Apart from the Nolan Batmans that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Funny People, Grown Ups, Grown Ups 2, Click and Jack and Jill, all featuring Adam Sandler. I actually really like Adam Sandler but he's made a lot of stinkers over the past decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Funny People, Grown Ups, Grown Ups 2, Click and Jack and Jill, all featuring Adam Sandler. I actually really like Adam Sandler but he's made a lot of stinkers over the past decade.

Yep.... He's a white Eddie Murphy

Absolutely loved the running man book but the movie butchered it in my opinion. Schwarzenegger is an awful actor.

Schwarzenegger was excellent as The Terminator and in Predator and I kind of thought the Conan films were a guilty pleasure (something different) and I suppose Red Heat was wellmeaning for the times but he made some load of awful films. He was a limited enough actor and it just got tedious eventually. Commando, Raw Deal, Total Recall and The Running Man more or less were the same thing in different situations. The book of the latter (an obscure Stephen King) is excellent (that and the book version of The Postman should not be ignored because of the poor film versions). Twins showed us that Schwarzenegger is no comedian. Last film of his I saw was True Lies which was a formulaic undercover spy thing.

That second version of Total Recall though was no improvement.

Jack and Jill was essentially Norbit with white people :D

I like Eddie's films in general apart from the second Nutty Professor one. Not the worst but adds nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

What is it with superhero sequels? Look at these:

C.Reeve Superman: original=poor, second one=excellent, later ones=poor.
    Original Spiderman: first one=great, second=excellent, third=poor.
    Original Batamn: first one=excellent, second=excellent, third=ok, fourth=poor.
    Ironman: first one=excellent, sequels=poor to just ok.

Not all start of great (the 1978 Superman film was very poor but the second was the business) but usually they do but they all end up poor. Apart from the Nolan Batmans that is.

The first one had the most insanely brilliant and hilarious villainous plans of all time.

An industrial magnate buying up cheap inland-real estate on the premise that it will be incredibly valuable when he blows the current coastline into the sea.

The villain being played by Gene Hackman certainly doesn't hurt.

I like Eddie's films in general apart from the second Nutty Professor one. Not the worst but adds nothing new.

Oh he does have some cracking films like Beverly Hills Cop and Shrek to name a few :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Arnie is actually very underrated as an actor. He was very good at comedy, Twins and Kindergarten Cop are excellent films. Some would argue he was better at comedy than action, although Predator and Commando are two of my favourite films of all time.

One of the worst films I've seen recently was Robocop 3, on Syfy a few weeks ago. Forgot how crap it was compared to the first two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Too many bad movies to list, but the worse movies that the majority seem to enjoy;

Miss Doubtfire
    The Hangover
    Little miss sunshine
    Pearl Harbour
    Juno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I dont get the hate for Mrs Doubtfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Schwarzenegger was excellent as The Terminator and in Predator and I kind of thought the Conan films were a guilty pleasure (something different) and I suppose Red Heat was wellmeaning for the times but he made some load of awful films. He was a limited enough actor and it just got tedious eventually. Commando, Raw Deal, Total Recall and The Running Man more or less were the same thing in different situations. The book of the latter (an obscure Stephen King) is excellent (that and the book version of The Postman should not be ignored because of the poor film versions). Twins showed us that Schwarzenegger is no comedian. Last film of his I saw was True Lies which was a formulaic undercover spy thing.

Arnie is actually very underrated as an actor. He was very good at comedy, Twins and Kindergarten Cop are excellent films. Some would argue he was better at comedy than action, although Predator and Commando are two of my favourite films of all time.

He was very good in the Terminators but the whole persona seemed to be very overused after a while in various movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

The Exorcist 2.

The Wickerman (the original.) the 2006 remake.

Last Holiday (Queen Latifah.)

The Spirit, trading on the style of Sin City but was absolute garbage. It's still the only film I've walked out of.

I walked out of The Spirit too, as did the three friends that were with me, as did the other 6 people that were in the cinema. We all walked out after 30 minutes. The cinema people let us go into a different film instead. It was indescribably terrible.

I also walked out of Les Misérables. Could not comprehend how Russell Crowe had been allowed to open his mouth.

DareGod wrote: »
    The Wickerman (the original.)

So you rate the remake as a better film that the original, a film that is widely considered to be one of the greatest horror films ever made. I can understand not liking the film or not understanding what it was trying to do but to call it one of the worst films ever is just ridiculous.

So you rate the remake as a better film that the original, a film that is widely considered to be one of the greatest horror films ever made. I can understand not liking the film or not understanding what it was trying to do but to call it one of the worst films ever is just ridiculous.

I never mentioned the remake..... :confused:

Regarding the original, I assume this thread is about personal opinions? Or is there a definitive list of the worst films ever made that I was supposed to pick from before posting?

As it happens I made a mistake, I actually meant the remake. I haven't seen the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

or is there a definitive list of the worst films ever made that I was supposed to pick from before posting?

This?

I haven't seen any of them.

I never mentioned the remake..... :confused:

Regarding the original, I assume this thread is about personal opinions? Or is there a definitive list of the worst films ever made that I was supposed to pick from before posting?

If you rate the original The Wicker Man as one of the worst films ever made then you obviously would rate the remake higher. There's personal opinion and the whole subjectivity thing but there are certain films which no matter how you look at them have their merits. The Wicker Man is not a film for everyone, there's much that I love about it that others hate, the slow deliberate pace, the use of music, etc but to say that The Wicker Man is a film that belongs alongside dreck such as Jack and Jill, Movie 43, Birdemic, Scary Movie 5, The Room, Catwoman, etc is just wrong.

As it happens I made a mistake, I actually meant the remake. I haven't seen the original.

Well then, that makes a hell of a lot more sense. The original is well worth checking out, it's one of the finest films ever made.

If you rate the original The Wicker Man as one of the worst films ever made then you obviously would rate the remake higher.

What? Wouldn't I have to have seen a film before I can rate it? :confused:

You tried to tell me I was rating a film that I never mentioned even having seen! You're a bit oversensitive about this Wickerman! :pac:

• Advertisement

This?

I haven't seen any of them.

Many of these I have not seen or even hear of but Lawnmower man 2, Car 54, Where Are You?, and Saving Christmas are the only ones I heard of and the former 2 the only ones I have seen and they are bad.

Any film starting with the word Invasion usually tends to be terrible. Many others seem to be copies of established classics and poor superhero flicks? I take it San Andreas Quake is not the current film? Do not know much about that but it would be too early to tell and I did not think it had Quake at the end? Are they another version released this year I have not been aware of!

I guess these films are so bad they are not even known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Well this is going to be an unpopular choice but Interstellar.
    I don't know how it got such good reviews.. Similar to movies such as gravity , avatar and the road etc.. High imbd ratings are hit and miss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This has just morphed into another unpopular opinion thread!

Think there's an important distinction to be drawn between a film you personally don't like and one that's full-on, no question worthless.

As a wise cinema fan once articulately told me, the question to ask is "was the film in focus?" If the answer's yes, then it is not the worst film ever :pac:

I would add a secondary question: "Is the film racist, sexist, or otherwise ideologically toxic?" If no, it's not the worst film ever. (Curiously, Transformers 2 fails with flying colours in that respect, although that might be just coincidence. At least it's in focus!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Someone mentioned it earlier. I love anchorman one. Can't get enough of it. But anchorman two was an absolute slog to get through.

About six different stories in two hours with no connection, all in the pursuit of comedy. Trying to replicate the first one.

Two films in one generally agitate me. I'm not talking pulp fiction here, I'm talking 'into the woods'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I'm genuinely surprised that nobody has mentioned the second Sex and the City film yet. Or the first one....
    Don't watch them if you enjoyed the tv series, they'll ruin everything. Don't watch them if you didn't enjoy the tv series, they'll still ruin everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I mostly watch movies at home but 2 movies I walked out of in the cinema half way through were Avatar and Terminator 4. About 1/3 way in on Terminator a very small cute hipster styled girl appeared. Meant to provide an 'aaaah' factor I suppose. However a cute little girl is not a terminator so I stormed off huffed that I wasn't getting big bad terminators which is what I had paid my good money for and wasn't getting. I should have demanded a refund.

Man of Steel was rubbish and so was the Zimmer score. How could a superman movie succeed without John Williams ! Answer - it can't.

I personally couldn't begin to watch a movie like slumdog millionaire. I feel I know what it's about without even seeing it. It's for poor ppl to make them feel there as good as everyone else. Sorry but I'd rather be rich. Let me guess , he wins some money and by the end of the movie its all gone as he's back happier than ever in the slum. Honestly I haven't seen it or read a synopsis but I bet it's some crud like that - someone please clarify.

Batman and Robin is so bad it reminds me of those star trek remakes on youtube produced and acted by devoted fans for themselves. I don't know why it's just that armature looking. Actually the star trek things are prolly better.

Other nominations are 300, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy , Noah , Hercules. Bit of a theme going on there lol

Anyone ever watch Edward Scissorhands. WTF ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Under Siege 2
    Speed 2: Cruise Control

2 sequels that should have never even been contemplated, but I guess at that point the money men made the decision, based off the success of the originals

Edward Scissorhands was a good movie I thought. Decent cast (anything with Vincent Price isn't a bad film) and a good score. Pity about him dying at the end though when he picked his nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

The road.

Nothing happens in it.

Under Siege 2
    Speed 2: Cruise Control

2 sequels that should have never even been contemplated, but I guess at that point the money men made the decision, based off the success of the originals

Speed 2, I agree is terrible.

But Under Siege 2? Casey Ryback kicking ass? A teenage Katherine Hiegl? No way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    The road.

Nothing happens in it.

I really dont understand how people dont get 'The Road". Nothing had to happen. It was survival and father son relationship.

"There will be blood" i didnt get this film at all. I couldnt relate to the character daniel day lewis played (i love him as an actor tho).

• Advertisement
Advertisement