Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst films and why

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Silent Night Deadly Night 2...

The first was awful as it was but the second was like 20 mins new footage and flashbacks of the awful first one.Not even the famous "garbage day" scene could save that mess :pac:

Also The Room, but to be honest its so bad I found myself laughing more at it than most comedies! Would only watch with friends though, I'd go crazy if I had to watch it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

I've been re-watching the Star Wars movies with my kids over the last few weeks.
    I hadn't seen Episode II since it came out and I'd actually forgotten what an awful film it is. There are countless sequences that literally make so sense, the dialogue is toe-curlingly awful and I'm not sure I've ever come across a character as eminently punchable as Anakin Skywalker.

What a travesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Faith+1 wrote: »
    WTF? :confused:

There's a scene where Hartnett is nearing the end of his abstainence, I can't remember how exactly but he gets tied up to a bed, waiting for his love interest to come along to their arranged date (might have been his friends). He falls asleep waiting and dreams he's shagging your one. He wakes to find his ex straddling him, and declaring "I had today in the sweepstake" pulls down her skirt and off she goes.

This of course leads to his interest walking in on them and thinking he's cheated she runs off so he has to rescue the situation.

Now imagine that with the roles reversed.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    WTF? :confused:

Josh Hartnett's character lost the bet because someone had sex with him while he was unconscious. It was a rape scene, played for laughs. You might say I'm making something out of nothing, but can you imagine if the genders were reversed? It would have been called completely tasteless.

Beaten by two minutes!

Also regarding The Road - it was supposed to be bleak and miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Scary Movie.

When I was young, parody films such as Airplane!, The Naked Gun and Hot Shots were funny.

Scary Movie was an abomination, and it led to

Scary Movie 2
    Scary Movie 3
    Scary Movie 4
    Scary Movie 5
    Not Another Teen Movie
    Epic Movie
    Date Movie
    Superhero Movie
    Disaster Movie
    Extreme Movie
    Not Another Not Another Teen Movie

Scary Movie was a good parody movie that understood the genre. The sequels and rip-offs, I completely agree were terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

But Under Siege 2? Casey Ryback kicking ass? A teenage Katherine Hiegl? No way.

I would watch it, but just for its ridiculousness, as a movie though, it's terrible,

I do like those movies though when all the generals etc. are sitting around a big table, and someone finds out Casey Ryback is on board, and someone (the CIA stooge) says "who the hell is Casey Ryback?", and his old general turns around and declares "Casey Ryback might just be your only hope to clean up your goddamn mess"

MURICA'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

This has just morphed into another unpopular opinion thread!

Think there's an important distinction to be drawn between a film you personally don't like and one that's full-on, no question worthless.

As a wise cinema fan once articulately told me, the question to ask is "was the film in focus?" If the answer's yes, then it is not the worst film ever :pac:

I would add a secondary question: "Is the film racist, sexist, or otherwise ideologically toxic?" If no, it's not the worst film ever. (Curiously, Transformers 2 fails with flying colours in that respect, although that might be just coincidence. At least it's in focus!)

I'm pretty sure I've heard you refer to the subjectivity of reviews before. With that in mind, was this thread ever going to be about anything other than unpopular opinions?

Also, just consider what 'popular' actually entails when we're speaking about cinema. Given your regular reviews and taste in films, I suspect you'd find a 'popular opinions' thread equally as objectionable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I hadn't seen Episode II since it came out and I'd actually forgotten what an awful film it is. There are countless sequences that literally make so sense, the dialogue is toe-curlingly awful and I'm not sure I've ever come across a character as eminently punchable as Anakin Skywalker.

What a travesty.
    As a bit of a Star Wars nut, I have to agree. I can't even watch that film anymore without throwing a strop. Hayden Christensen created one of the most grating characters in movie history. He almost single-handedly destroyed that movie (with some help from the script and the cartoon effects).

Also... Happy Feet. I have informed my kids that movie will never, ever, play in our home again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Also The Room, but to be honest its so bad I found myself laughing more at it than most comedies! Would only watch with friends though, I'd go crazy if I had to watch it alone.

Did it really take 7 pages for someone to mention The Room in a thread about the worst movies? The movie known as "the Citizen Kane of bad movies"

Maybe its because its bordering on 'so bad its good' territory but surely its a contender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm pretty sure I've heard you refer to the subjectivity of reviews before. With that in mind, was this thread ever going to be about anything other than unpopular opinions?

I am not for a second disputing that people have different tastes, and definitely not dismissing the subjectivity of reviews - we all have, to use an inexact term, unpopular opinions. But maybe it's just semantics for me: a word like 'worst' should IMO be reserved for the dregs of cinema. There's plenty of otherwise well-liked, acclaimed films I'm none too fond of (certainly got a lively response when I wasn't won over by Dredd :pac:) but in the vast majority of them I can still recognise them as competently produced pieces of work, on a different level to the real **** (even if all **** will have its defenders!).

Thankfully I have managed to avoid much of the worst of the worst: the stuff that is incompetently produced, legitimately offensive or morally repugnant. I've seen a few. Something like Mac & Me - a beyond shoddily produced film that's not only a deeply cynical ET rip-off, but more insidiously also a film's that's pretty much designed from the ground up to sell McDonalds products to children. And no doubt there's tonnes of films out there that are even more fundamentally 'wrong' than that - the propaganda films and the glorified hate speech, for example. That's probably why my own definition of the word 'worst' doesn't quite fit to encompass films I merely found dull or uninspiring. And, to be fair to several posters here, they have convincingly argued against 'popular' films based on the quality of their production and toxic 'messages', not just because they were bored by it.

(looking forward to somebody mounting an impassioned defense of Mac & Me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Scary Movie.

When I was young, parody films such as Airplane!, The Naked Gun and Hot Shots were funny.

Scary Movie was an abomination, and it led to

Scary Movie 2
    Scary Movie 3
    Scary Movie 4
    Scary Movie 5
    Not Another Teen Movie
    Epic Movie
    Date Movie
    Superhero Movie
    Disaster Movie
    Extreme Movie
    Not Another Not Another Teen Movie

how did you forget "Meet the Spartans"? *shudders*

Did it really take 7 pages for someone to mention The Room in a thread about the worst movies? The movie known as "the Citizen Kane of bad movies"

Maybe its because its bordering on 'so bad its good' territory but surely its a contender.

I'd rate it as the favorite! The fact that the writer/director/producer/lead actor :P still maintains it is a serious and good piece of work makes it even worse.

Watching it alone will test your sanity, but with a few friends and a few drinks of course you'll be in stitches laughing at how bad it is. Even with that some people I watched it with pleaded for us to turn it off :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

ardinn wrote: »
    Christopher Nolan's 3 batmans were better imo - I loved the 1989 film - hated the next 3, but Nolan did justice to Batman!!

Worst film of all time...... man of steel
    Man of Steel is getting far too much stick in this thread. It might not be brilliant, but it's not bad, and a hell of a long way from the worst.
    It's a bit of a mess, but plenty of good qualities.
    Nolan's Batmans are indeed excellent. As good as the 1989 film, maybe even better. I liked Batman Returns from 1992 as well. Batman Forever was just ok and overall a very tame affair (too like the 1960s series complete with Robin saying all them 'holy ... Batman' comments!! Of course, Batman & Robin totally went down the tame road completely. The Mr Freeze character could have been done much more darker but this was not the type of film.

Man of Steel is not good imo either. I know that there are countless bad superhero films that make Batman and Robin look decent in comparison and that is one. There were a few bad Incredible Hulk ones too and the Iron Man sequel (the first Iron Man was excellent).
    Man of Steel makes Batman and Robin look good? Now that's proper nonsense! You need to watch Batman and Robin again. It's possibly the second worst superhero movie ever. Definitely worse than Supergirl!
    What is it with superhero sequels? Look at these:

C.Reeve Superman: original=poor, second one=excellent, later ones=poor.
    Original Spiderman: first one=great, second=excellent, third=poor.
    Original Batamn: first one=excellent, second=excellent, third=ok, fourth=poor.
    Ironman: first one=excellent, sequels=poor to just ok.

Not all start of great (the 1978 Superman film was very poor but the second was the business) but usually they do but they all end up poor. Apart from the Nolan Batmans that is.
    The original Superman is very good. Better than the regular version of the sequel. However the Donner Cut version of the second is the best.
    However, no one has mentioned it here, but I'd recommend viewing it again to see how awful it is. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. That is the biggest load of shít. It killed the Superman franchise for 30 years. Batman and Robin only managed to kill the Batman franchise for 8 years!
    Also, Sin City is over rated crap. Not the worst film, just over rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

leave mac and me alone i know it looks ridiculous now (so bad its good) but i enjoyed watching it as a kid.

For me a bad movie is one where they flat out lie in the trailer and make it look like its the best thing going then you go to the cinema and your like what the hell is this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I am not for a second disputing that people have different tastes, and definitely not dismissing the subjectivity of reviews - we all have, to use an inexact term, unpopular opinions. But maybe it's just semantics for me: a word like 'worst' should IMO be reserved for the dregs of cinema. There's plenty of otherwise well-liked, acclaimed films I'm none too fond of (certainly got a lively response when I wasn't won over by Dredd :pac:) but in the vast majority of them I can still recognise them as competently produced pieces of work, on a different level to the real **** (even if all **** will have its defenders!).

Thankfully I have managed to avoid much of the worst of the worst: the stuff that is incompetently produced, legitimately offensive or morally repugnant. I've seen a few. Something like Mac & Me - a beyond shoddily produced film that's not only a deeply cynical ET rip-off, but more insidiously also a film's that's pretty much designed from the ground up to sell McDonalds products to children. And no doubt there's tonnes of films out there that are even more fundamentally 'wrong' than that - the propaganda films and the glorified hate speech, for example. That's probably why my own definition of the word 'worst' doesn't quite fit to encompass films I merely found dull or uninspiring. And, to be fair to several posters here, they have convincingly argued against 'popular' films based on the quality of their production and toxic 'messages', not just because they were bored by it.

The absolute worst films that I've seen would be the made-for-TV crap that my mother used to expose me to. But they're so obvious they're not even worth mentioning. In my earlier post I instead focussed on some of the critically-lauded films that I've heard and read so much about, but which turned out to be hugely disappointing. I guess they're the ones that spring to mind because they're the 'worst' movies that I've seen in years. I'm very selective about what I watch, and thankfully, I haven't seen what I consider to be a properly bad movie in the best part of a decade. The last one was probably The Producers (2005).

By the way, I quite like Mac & Me. The propaganda was lost on me as a kid, and I can't bring myself to watch it as a grumpy lefty, so I'll just live in ignorance. I mean their mouths are the perfect shape for a McDonalds straw! What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 garywilko

District 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Just looked it up! It says 'This time it's personal'! as its slogan! Poor fare like this are totally disrespectful to an excellent original. It is obvious Spielberg is not directing this one.

Think the shark only kills 2 people in the whole film, neither of whom the (unlucky) audience are invested in.

Also the shark somehow doesnt manage to kill two other more important characters despite seemingly doing so. Best bit is how the shark explodes when impaled by a piece of wood lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

garywilko wrote: »
    District 9

Troll ! : ) Loved it !

Just watched that "Mac and Me" clip whoever posted it. Thank god I'd never heard of it. Dreadful. Shouldn't it be called "Big Mac and me" though.

I know the second three installments of Star Wars were bad but they got slightly better as they went on so the first one was the worst I thought. I have watched the second and third more than once, I think the second is good to watch visually and I like the scene in the third where Aniken pledges allegiance to Palpatine after Palpatine morphs into The Emperor.

• Advertisement

District 9

I liked it.

Chappie on the other hand is a steaming pile of poo.

I liked it.

Chappie on the other hand is a steaming pile of poo.

Why? I thought Chappie was an interesting movie. Sure it didn't compare to District 9, but it was marginally better than Elysium.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

So easy to just have a dig at a popular film to get a reaction but honestly i hated the final movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The ending went on for days. I wanted them all to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

District 9

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I was young when the prequel star wars came out and had never seen the older ones, so I missed all the hate. As a kid, I loved them. I guess that was the point.

I mean, I know that they are bad.. But I still kinda like them. Everyone wants to see a large scale Jedi fight and the killing off of the Jedi was very sad :D

Why? I thought Chappie was an interesting movie. Sure it didn't compare to District 9, but it was marginally better than Elysium.

I preferred Elysium.

Found the human characters in Chappie to be completely unbelievable and annoying..

Even the fact that there's supposedly an office in South Africa where 2 guys sit in open plan seating, developing completely separate humanoid-robot technologies (pretty much on their own it would seem), to sell to the police, - annoyed me intensely. It was just a big dollop of stupid from a guy who's obviously never worked in an office in his life.

And if you manage to get Sigourney Weaver to agree to appear in your film, don't feckin waste her like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 garywilko

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Really?

Yes, lead characters accent, absolutely terrible. #prawns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

macpac26 wrote: »
    So easy to just have a dig at a popular film to get a reaction but honestly i hated the final movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The ending went on for days. I wanted them all to die.

In that case do yourself a favour and NEVER read the book (though I think we can all thank Peter Jackson for not inflicting Tom Bombadil on us)!

I really don't get the hate for Man Of Steel. I liked it, and it was nice that the villain wasn't Lex Luther for a change! The biggest weakness for me was that Clark Kent wasn't a big enough dweeb. Granted it's not the best film of all time, but worst? Not by a long shot.

One film that doesn't get near enough hate is American Sniper. Ridiculous pro-USA propaganda glorifying the actions of a real life dickhead

I preferred Elysium.

Found the human characters in Chappie to be completely unbelievable and annoying..

Even the fact that there's supposedly an office in South Africa where 2 guys sit in open plan seating, developing completely separate humanoid-robot technologies (pretty much on their own it would seem), to sell to the police, - annoyed me intensely. It was just a big dollop of stupid from a guy who's obviously never worked in an office in his life.

And if you manage to get Sigourney Weaver to agree to appear in your film, don't feckin waste her like that!

I will admit that I found Dev Pattel and Hugh Jackman's characters to be unbelievable. Though I loved the character of Chappie and the prospect of a sentient AI, which starts off as neutral, to be an interesting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

But maybe it's just semantics for me: a word like 'worst' should IMO be reserved for the dregs of cinema.
    To me "worst" should go beyond just being a technically poor film and one that is actively unpleasant to watch, ideologically messed up and such a bad experience to watch that it's hard to shake from memory. In that sense I have no problem lumping films like Crash, Slumdog Millionaire and Dancer in the Dark in with the absolute dregs of cinema (as you put it) despite still being acclaimed in many circles.

On the flip side I find The Room to be not only a hilarious and fascinating film but also kind of an accidental masterpiece. I'd watch it again over literally hundreds of prestige pictures. I'm not being the least bit flippant when I say that the film I mentioned earlier was the worst cinema experience I've ever had.

macpac26 wrote: »
    Loved the LOTR Trilogy (have the 12hr DVD and Blurays!), but the last Hobbit movie reminded me of everything that's wrong with Hollywood.

Over 9hrs of "entertainment" extracted from a short children's book. As Bilbo himself said in the first trilogy, like "butter scraped over too much bread". The last movie was the worst.

What a cracking, single 2hr film it would have made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some of the films mentioned here though are more so very disappointing rather than the worst film ever - I refuse to believe that anyone could think the likes of District 9 and The Hobbit are literally the worst motion picture they've ever seen!

Leave Mac&Me alone - it's a classic. So astoundingly dreadful that it's brilliant. The infamous wheelchair scene in the best - although the scene where the mother accuses her wheelchair bound son of dragging the contents of the back garden into the house and sticking them to the ceiling and wrecking the house is a close second. But mommmmm it was the alien (also im in a ****ing wheelchair for christ sake)

Worst movie I've ever seen would maybe be Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo. I have a very high tolerance for movies that are both so-bad-they're-good and just plain old terrible - but that one I almost walked out on. Can't understand how it got made from any perspective.

Another contender would be 'The Astro-Zombies'. Myself and a friend got talking a while back about the crippling lack of zombie movies set in space. Partally remedied by 'Last Days on Mars' recently but prior to that, we came up with Astro-Zombies. A total mess of random scenes, bloopers, a script that makes no sense, and mistakes that you can tell the director just wasn't bothered correcting. It is absolutely baffling to try and understand how this movie was ever made and released. It's what would happen if a bunch of drunk people tried to make a movie using only their home contents available to hand.

Scary Movie and all of its sequels aren't that bad. They did get worse as they went along but the latest one - Scary Movie 6? - was a massive improvement on 4 and 5, actually got a good few laughs out of it. But they're all watchable enough. Those guys that make Meet the Spartans, Vampires Suck, Date Movie, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie - now those are genuinely terrible, terrible films that any production company should be ashamed of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I love the Lord of the rings. Always have, always will. And fantasy in general.

But I can't quite express how much I hate the Hobbit.

Edit: although Smaug is probably the best looking piece of CGI I've ever seen. Trying to think of a second one... I liked the CGI in Her.

Come on guys, we can do better for worse films... this comes to mind

santa-claus-conquers-the-martians-poster.jpg

EDIT: Full things on youtube if anyone dares ;)

Also said before but:

Silent_night_deadly_night_part_2_(VHS_cover).jpg

Ps also on youtube ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

e_e wrote: »
    To me "worst" should go beyond just being a technically poor film and one that is actively unpleasant to watch, ideologically messed up and such a bad experience to watch that it's hard to shake from memory. In that sense I have no problem lumping films like Crash, Slumdog Millionaire and Dancer in the Dark in with the absolute dregs of cinema (as you put it) despite still being acclaimed in many circles.

And that's cool, as I have explicitly stated feeling something is repugnant is as good a reason as any to criticise something with superlatives :) And yep an ideologically horrific film can be technically or formally competent or even excellent - look at the classic dilemma of Birth of a Nation.

Above all, I'd find it hard to convincingly argue a film I merely found boring, uninvolving or insipid as the 'worst' when the various classes of significantly more objectionable films (subjectively and objectively) out there are worthier of such vitriol. Not that a merely dull film doesn't deserve a good ribbing though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Man of Steel is getting far too much stick in this thread. It might not be brilliant, but it's not bad, and a hell of a long way from the worst.
    It's a bit of a mess, but plenty of good qualities.

Man of Steel makes Batman and Robin look good? Now that's proper nonsense! You need to watch Batman and Robin again. It's possibly the second worst superhero movie ever. Definitely worse than Supergirl!

The original Superman is very good. Better than the regular version of the sequel. However the Donner Cut version of the second is the best.
    However, no one has mentioned it here, but I'd recommend viewing it again to see how awful it is. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. That is the biggest load of shít. It killed the Superman franchise for 30 years. Batman and Robin only managed to kill the Batman franchise for 8 years!
    Also, Sin City is over rated crap. Not the worst film, just over rated.

I will not be watching Batman and Robin again! I'm afraid I may end up liking it under the so bad it's good category!! :):rolleyes:

I may have been a tad harsh on the original Superman but the second was the first I saw and it was overall a very good action movie that explained who Superman/Clarke Kent was very very well. The Quest for Peace one was definitely the worst, to Superman what Batman and Robin was to Batman. Probably much worse: again, won't be watching cause again I'm afraid I'd like it under the it's so bad it's good genre :)

The thing with Man of Steel is I expected so much from it and ended up very disappointed. Perhaps, I may genuinely give this another go and see. The Quest for Peace is probably much worse for certain.

I will not be watching Batman and Robin again! I'm afraid I may end up liking it under the so bad it's good category!! :):rolleyes:

I may have been a tad harsh on the original Superman but the second was the first I saw and it was overall a very good action movie that explained who Superman/Clarke Kent was very very well. The Quest for Peace one was definitely the worst, to Superman what Batman and Robin was to Batman. Probably much worse: again, won't be watching cause again I'm afraid I'd like it under the it's so bad it's good genre :)

The thing with Man of Steel is I expected so much from it and ended up very disappointed. Perhaps, I may genuinely give this another go and see. The Quest for Peace is probably much worse for certain.
    Man of Steel was always going to disappoint some, but it's not a bad film, I thought the Krypton scenes were excellent and Zod was an excellent character, explained his motives far better than in the original.
    I went to the cinema to see Quest for Peace as a kid, hadn't seen it since and always wondered why they never showed it on TV. Until I got the Boxset (in order to get the Donner cut!! well worth watching, you'll like it). Then I realised why TV broadcasters pretended it didn't exist when airing 1 through 3. (3 is poor, but is epic in comparison!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I think a movie can be flawed without it being the worst movie in the world. I think Gravity and Avatar fall into this category. The script and dialog are awful but as a movie experience they are good.

A lot of Adam Sandlers' work is very very poor. There are no redeeming qualities what so ever and they are basically a front for making money.

brevity wrote: »
    I think a movie can be flawed without it being the worst movie in the world. I think Gravity and Avatar fall into this category. The script and dialog are awful but as a movie experience they are good.

A lot of Adam Sandlers' work is very very poor. There are no redeeming qualities what so ever and they are basically a front for making money.

Avatar and Gravity are among the greatest spectacles cinema has seen in the past few years - and that's essentially what they should be seen as, a cinematic experience. Tried watching Gravity on a TV - a widescreen one - and it just didn't live up to it.

About Sandler - it's not just about the money. He also admitted that Blended was really just a holiday for him in Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Dades wrote: »
    Loved the LOTR Trilogy (have the 12hr DVD and Blurays!), but the last Hobbit movie reminded me of everything that's wrong with Hollywood.

Over 9hrs of "entertainment" extracted from a short children's book. As Bilbo himself said in the first trilogy, like "butter scraped over too much bread". The last movie was the worst.

you ever hear Randal Graves from Clerks 2 take on The Lord of the Rings Trilogy? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSB03lr69iU

Saralee4 wrote: »
    you ever hear Randal Graves from Clerks 2 take on The Lord of the Rings Trilogy? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSB03lr69iU
    Methinks if I'd ever seen Clerks II it might be already mentioned on this thread (and nothing to do with LOTR references)!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Methinks if I'd ever seen Clerks II it might be already mentioned on this thread (and nothing to do with LOTR references)!

It's actually not bad at all, one of Smith's better films, though that might not be saying much if you don't like any of his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Ah well if you didn't see Clerks 1 or 2 you wouldn't get it but its very funny if you know the character who is winding up the LOTR fans you would get it. I personally do like LOTR but Clerks is way better.

it is one of my favourite comedies and clerks one was even better but not to everyone's taste I would say as the humour boarders on vulgar at times. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

blade runner.
    it was an awful sci fi movie.i just found it completely boring and hard to finish,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

crazygeryy wrote: »
    blade runner.
    it was an awful sci fi movie.i just found it completely boring and hard to finish,

Jesus, it's one of the best sci-fi films ever made. Absolutely classic movie and in my personal top 10 films of all time.

If you want terrible sci-fi, go with Scott's Prometheus or Looper. I watched the two of them in the same week. It was a very bad week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The day I went to see The Phantom Menace was also the first time I ate at McDonald's. I got sick on the way home, not sure which was the culprit.

Anyways. It's a difficult question because it's very subjective, everyone's going to have different criteria, or prioritise the same criteria differently. I recently rewatched two films - True Lies with Jamie Lee Curtis and Arnie, and The Day After Tomorrow (lol, remember that one Jake? Scarlet for yeh). Terrible, terrible, terrible films, but they fulfilled for me a criterion which seems to be the be all and end all for many people - they were entertaining. But them being entertaining was entirely a product of them being terrible in many ways...

The Sex and the City films definitely have to be up there though. I managed to avoid the second one, but Kermode's thoughts on it sum part of my objection to the first one

enhanced-buzz-wide-13273-1417184661-17.jpg

Edit: Woops sorry, that image is massive. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Jesus, it's one of the best sci-fi films ever made. Absolutely classic movie and in my personal top 10 films of all time.

If you want terrible sci-fi, go with Scott's Prometheus or Looper. I watched the two of them in the same week. It was a very bad week...

I agree Bladerunner is a classic film. I do however remember seeing a very poor ripoff of it (which is always the case with sci fi movies that set a trend) but do not remember what it was called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

This is what happens when you make a triology out of one book..
    I have read the hobbit but decided not to watch the movies.

The day I went to see The Phantom Menace was also the first time I ate at McDonald's. I got sick on the way home, not sure which was the culprit.

Anyways. It's a difficult question because it's very subjective, everyone's going to have different criteria, or prioritise the same criteria differently. I recently rewatched two films - True Lies with Jamie Lee Curtis and Arnie, and The Day After Tomorrow (lol, remember that one Jake? Scarlet for yeh). Terrible, terrible, terrible films, but they fulfilled for me a criterion which seems to be the be all and end all for many people - they were entertaining. But them being entertaining was entirely a product of them being terrible in many ways...
    I agree, I hate Titanic (1997) but mainly because of the hype. It's not terrible, but the hype made it so.
    There are many movies that are horrible no matter how low your expectations. Those are the ones we're looking for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I agree, I hate Titanic (1997) but mainly because of the hype. It's not terrible, but the hype made it so.
    There are many movies that are horrible no matter how low your expectations. Those are the ones we're looking for!!

Yeah I know what you mean, I hate Inception, even though I can appreciate the things that are good about it, just because of the hype and defensiveness around it and because it takes itself so very, very seriously. It'd be further up my list of "Films I hate" than other films which are probably worse but which are more craic.

The problem with low expectations is that the so-bad-it's-good issue though, you get into the area of cult films and Barthes and postmodernism. Very bad horrors and action films can be hilarious to watch and rewatch, so they're good films but in unintended ways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Cotton mary, nuns and breastfeeding

Advertisement