Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst films and why

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Yeah I know what you mean, I hate Inception, even though I can appreciate the things that are good about it, just because of the hype and defensiveness around it and because it takes itself so very, very seriously. It'd be further up my list of "Films I hate" than other films which are probably worse but which are more craic.

The problem with low expectations is that the so-bad-it's-good issue though, you get into the area of cult films and Barthes and postmodernism. Very bad horrors and action films can be hilarious to watch and rewatch, so they're good films but in unintended ways?

A thread on films that are so bad they're good would be interesting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I think the Hobbit suffered from the actors involved. Two in particular.

Martin Freeman. He is too big. And when you watched it you were watching Martin Freeman, not Bilbo.

And why it HAD to be Billy Connolly I dont know. Why they couldn't get someone who didn't require 100% CGI is beyond me. But him being there took me right out.

The same can't be said with Ian McKellen or any of the gang in the first trilogy. Barring maybe Hugo Weaving. When you watch Gandalf, you're watching Gandalf. Well in my mind anyway.

I just kept thinking 'God he was great in the office'. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Cellular..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cellular..

With Chris Evans? That wasn't so bad. Not particularly great either but surely you've seen worse than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Tusk, without a doubt. I was invited to the UK premiere but couldn't go. Thank god for that. I would have had to walk out.:o It's honestly the worst film I have ever attempted to watch. Haley Joel Osment, how low you've fallen..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tusk, without a doubt. I was invited to the UK premiere but couldn't go. Thank god for that. I would have had to walk out.:o It's honestly the worst film I have ever attempted to watch. Haley Joel Osment, how low you've fallen..

That was a terrible film alright. Tried to be too many things and fell flat as a pancake. I never expected Kevin Smith to put out something utterly devoid of any merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭north_star_33

13 pages ..and no one said it..

FREDDIE GOT FINGERED...with tom green

absolutely the stupidest most hideous 2 hours of manure smelling garbage ive ever watched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

With Chris Evans? That wasn't so bad. Not particularly great either but surely you've seen worse than that.

Thought twas absolutely shocking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Two "classic" movies that I cannot watch are "The Quiet Man" and "Dumb And Dumber". The first is a collection of all the worst paddywhackery ever committed to celluloid and the second is just rehash of much funnier old black and white comedies from the likes of Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I haven't seen everything film has to offer and I tend to not watch films I believe will be bad or worse.

With that being said, two films that spring to mind that I have least enjoyed in recent memory are 'Spring Breakers' and 'Only God Gorgives'.

I'm not saying they're the worst films ever made. In fact I'm certain cinema has produced far worse. But they are bad. Really bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Two "classic" movies that I cannot watch are "The Quiet Man" and "Dumb And Dumber". The first is a collection of all the worst paddywhackery ever committed to celluloid and the second is just rehash of much funnier old black and white comedies from the likes of Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy etc.

Can you elaborate on the second point there? What exactly reminded you of those old comedies? That's an honest question by the way. I can't see the influence myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Keno wrote: »
    With that being said, two films that spring to mind that I have least enjoyed in recent memory are 'Spring Breakers' and 'Only God Gorgives'.

Yep anything directed by Nicolas Winding Refn. I hated Drive with an absolute passion.

The Quiet Man is just something one has to laugh at. It is so paddywhackery and stage Irish that it is funny. Good to watch on Paddy's day with some Guinness!

Not a fan of John Ford films generally (they tend to be tame and on the comedic/light side for the most part). But the Quiet Man is worth a laugh. So bad it's good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Someone mentioning Little Miss Sunshine in this thread makes me sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The Godfather 3. Andy Garcia was completely miscast as the bastard nephew he should have been cast as Al Pacinos son, Sofia Coppola destroyed all hope of an acting career with a performance only her cousin Nic Cage could beat. The plot was dumb and that ending ridiculous beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I've never seen it, but the total apathy which greets Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever always intrigues me, have never heard of anyone saying it's at all good bad or anything. $70 million budget too.

I'm not really someone who'll just sit in front of anything and I rarely come across things that don't have some element of merit* but Life is Beautiful absolutely blew me away in all the wrong ways. Honestly felt like the world was playing some kind of joke on me that anyone would think it was anything other than a horribly ill conceived idea executed terribly.

* I'm not including documentaries, have seen tons of documentaries which manage to completely blow very solid premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Yep anything directed by Nicolas Winding Refn. I hated Drive with an absolute passion.

I absolutely loved 'Drive' :P

People who just say a movie, but don't offer an explanation as to why, which is essentially the whole idea behind this thread, should be treated with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Battlefield Earth, Honest, Bridesmaids its not even funny oh and that spice girls film Spiceworld all utter trash.

If want a funny film that is good watch The Hangover or Last Vegas both brilliant and funny.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Keno wrote: »
    I absolutely loved 'Drive' :P

I love drive. You have this caring and quiet character who without any change in emotion changes into a complete physcopath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Anchorman (or just about anything with that gob****e Will Ferrell) awful rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

funny people with adam sandler.
    they really were not funny - dreadful stuff to watch.

american history x - the change of the main character in prison was beyond believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

13 pages ..and no one said it..

FREDDIE GOT FINGERED...with tom green

absolutely the stupidest most hideous 2 hours of manure smelling garbage ive ever watched

tumblr_mehq57REOm1qbce2uo1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I know I said the road was the worst movie I have ever seen.

After some consideration I have changed my mind.
    Cloverfield is my replacement. I don't even know where to begin with this one.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I know I said the road was the worst movie I have ever seen.

After some consideration I have changed my mind.
    Cloverfield is my replacement. I don't even know where to begin with this one.

I actually don't get the hate that Cloverfield gets, I found it to be one of the most realistic creature features, which in itself is an oxymoron, I know. It was tense, some fantastic set pieces, and I actually quite enjoy endings in which
    the ultimate outcome is unknown

Never heard of Cloverfield ...

Anchorman (or just about anything with that gob****e Will Ferrell) awful rubbish.

I think Anchorman (2004) is just ok and did not watch the overhyped sequel of whenever it was (last year or 2013?). Tubridy had some of its stars on IIRC and again was overhyping what is probably just a run of the mill sequel not as good as the just ok original.

Sometimes it is more the overhype in the media - especially the likes of Tubridy - than the films themselves that annoy me most. I have seen not many really good films being promoted by Tubridy's show interestingly enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_a_0%25_rating_on_Rotten_Tomatoes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_considered_the_worst

These ones are officially or popularly regarded as the worst. And of the ones I heard of, I agree. Yes, some of the Police Academy sequels are there as is that Superman Quest for Peace, Batman and Robin and, of course, one I forgot all about: Catwoman!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I have two. Firstly Inland Empire. Now I like a good quirky, surrealist film generally, and have liked previous David Lynch efforts, but by god, this was a torturous overlong nonsensical chore to sit through.

Secondly is Vanilla Sky. This more falls in to the "most disappointed" rather than "worst" film. I loved Cameron Crowe's previous films, Say Anything, Jerry Maguire, and most especially of all Almost Famous which was then and still is one of my favourite films of all time. So I was expecting good things from Vanilla Sky. It kept me somewhat intrigued throughout as I kept wondering how it would resolve itself. And then it just ended - nothing seemed to get resolved at all. What a let down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think Anchorman (2004) is just ok and did not watch the overhyped sequel of whenever it was (last year or 2013?).

I got about 30 minutes into Anchorman 2 and had to turn to herself and ask if it was just me, or was it really that bad, 30 minutes, and not 1 moment made me laugh, not even a smile!! Suffice to say we could not watch anymore.

As you say, the first one was just marginally ok, and that's me being generous.
    Could not understand the creaming that went on over both these movies!!!
    I've had funnier poo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

quickbeam wrote: »
    I have two. Firstly Inland Empire. Now I like a good quirky, surrealist film generally, and have liked previous David Lynch efforts, but by god, this was a torturous overlong nonsensical chore to sit through.

Secondly is Vanilla Sky. This more falls in to the "most disappointed" rather than "worst" film. I loved Cameron Crowe's previous films, Say Anything, Jerry Maguire, and most especially of all Almost Famous which was then and still is one of my favourite films of all time. So I was expecting good things from Vanilla Sky. It kept me somewhat intrigued throughout as I kept wondering how it would resolve itself. And then it just ended - nothing seemed to get resolved at all. What a let down!

I liked vanilla sky. It made some good points on vanity and ego, whats real and whats not. I thought it was one of cameron diaz better roles and not such a typical choice for her and i liked tom cruise annoying spoilt self centerdness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I believe Vanilla Sky is a remake of a Spanish film Called "Abre Los Ojos" (Open Your Eyes).Which is an absolutely brilliant film and one of my all time favourites it completely blew me away.

• Anyone mention how bad the total Recall remake is?
    It was never ****ing needed in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Terminator 3. As a massive fan of the first 2, even typing it makes my blood boil. Criminal charges should be brought against every single person involved in the Production of the film, including James Cameron.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Terminator 3. As a massive fan of the first 2, even typing it makes my blood boil. Criminal charges should be brought against every single person involved in the Production of the film, including James Cameron.

Not the special effects dept., though: that fire-engine chase is as convincing as the post-Galleria chase in T2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

quickbeam wrote: »

More so than Mulholland Drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

May not be the worst, but a major disappointment lately has to be Interstellar

From the fecking dust in his daughters bedroom being binary code which he discovers after about two mins with Michael Caine, who then decides he's the man for the job

Then McConaughey spends the whole movie trying to get back to Murph just to spend about three minutes with her and then fecks off to save Dr Bland on another planet, and won't even mention the bloody bookcase

Don't know how it is so highly rated, the only good thing was the Robot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

How on earth are people mentioned 'Man of Steel' without mentioning the infinitely more awful Superman Returns FFS!

Just goes to show what these threads are really about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

kingtiger wrote: »

From the fecking dust in his daughters bedroom being binary code which he discovers after about two mins with Michael Caine, who then decides he's the man for the job

Then McConaughey spends the whole movie trying to get back to Murph just to spend about three minutes with her and then fecks off to save Dr Bland on another planet, and won't even mention the bloody bookcase

Oh God yes. And people still have the cheek of saying that the science was accurate. Ugh. As a woman, listening to Anne Hathaway talking about the power of love (!) really made me cringe. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

I like what i like whether critically acclaimed or not (I.E. I'm no movie buff)

But, I remember once seeing a movie starring Bruce Willis called Last Man Standing, and it truly was, the worst piece of sh**e that I have ever seen...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ipso wrote: »
    More so than Mulholland Drive?

I liked Mulholland Drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

kingtiger wrote: »

If you watch interstellar and stop it just as Cobb
    is floating before Saturn, with the blinking lights in the distance
    , it's amazing. I get the impression that Nolan felt he had to give full closure after the furore about the end of inception with the spinning top. Which is a shame really. You have this very interesting and enjoyable space film that goes through time travel , and then decide to spend the last twenty minutes hammering into the audience the ending like they're a bunch of idiots that can't form their own opinion.

Edit: full disclosure I LOVE interstellar. Probably seen it about 7 times at this stage. Ending it like I said above improves it immensely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Excuse me? WTF is WRONG with you people that this hasn't been mentioned in the FIRST post?!:
    Fast & Furious
    Fast & Furious 2
    Fast & Furious 3
    Fast & Furious 4
    Fast & Furious 5
    Fast & Furious 6
    Fast & Furious 7
    Just keep adding them as they are being spewed forth. Soon there will have to be a separate top ten of worst movies ever just for Fast & Furious. I have never seen a movie (or franchise) that could be the entire top ten of worst movies ever made.
    I watched the first one with my mouth open as to how such garbage could ever have been made and the sort of mouthbreathing imbeciles who lap up that kind of sh*t. Seriously Battleship is Citizen Fcuking Kane compared to any of them.

Other that that:
    Any sequel of these:
    Highlander
    Robocop
    Matrix

Un Croissant, you will have to do 10 rounds round the block with your backpack held over your head for saying that about The Big Lebowski!
    It is my favourite thing in the world, if I had to watch only one movie for the rest of time, it would have to be this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Heheh. Highlander 2. I was a sponge, I didnt really register the space hoverboards. But I did notice the quirky, happy music during the fights and dramatic music playing over some lighter moments.

Major ganja smoked in that editing room. It's the only explanation for that. The ganjas great for creativity but polishing the turd just highlighted what they were up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

the sort of mouthbreathing imbeciles who lap up that kind of sh*t.
    I love my Kubrick, Bresson, Antonioni, Tarkovsky, Kieslowski, Kiarostami, Ozu, Bergman etc etc and yet Fast 5 - Fast 7 are among my favorite blockbusters of the past 5 years. The fifth film in particular is pretty outstanding in its genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

District 9 is crap, as are most already pointed out so far
    one movie that disapointed me after i heard so much about it was the big labowski, i honestly thought it was a load of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Exorcist 2 - The Heretic. Incomprehensible nonsense. How did Richard Burton allow himself be in this ?

Zardoz - Sean Connery's worst film by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    [...]
    It was never ****ing needed in the first place

In reality most remakes are not needed, nor as good as the originals. (imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

K.Flyer wrote: »
    In reality most remakes are not needed, nor as good as the originals. (imo)

Bttf 2 says otherwise;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Sharknado

sharknado-poster.jpg

Who doesnt like tornado's and sharks,I expected great things but i was left deflated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement