Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst films and why

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Drake66 wrote: »
    Brazil. I hated everything about it. It was bewildering, boring and conceited

Not the worst film ever, but pretty darn bad alright. In fact, after several attempts, I have now officially given up on Terry Gilliam films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

True Lies was exactly what it was supposed to be. An over-the-top bad American copy of James Bond with the worst actor for the James Bond role imaginable. (As in the opposite of smooth, suave and subtle. Arnie is a glorious hamfisted "actor", as in he can't act, he just bludgeons the movie into submission.)
    It was cheesy, predictable, ridiculous, over and badly acted, but it was all those things because it set out to be these things.
    Example:
    Jamie Lee Curtis drops a machine gun down the stairs. As it tumbles, it fires. The bullets magically hit only the bad guys in the room.
    Not even Hollywood does stuff like that without a hint of irony. This movie was all tongue in cheek. For that, I like it. It's a sendup, a parody, but it must have been too subtle for some people... :P

It just didn't work for me. Maybe it's the fact that the films they're pasticheing are pretty much fish in a barrel. It means that stretching the joke out over 2 hours gets pretty bloody boring and one note, though like I said moment to moment you would be thinking "well I certainly didn't expect that to happen", even while it still plods inevitably on to exactly where you know it's going. And thinking your audience will be so pleased with themselves that they "get it" that they'll love it and you don't have to do any extra layers to the comedy, as far as I'm concerned that's not much less condescending to the audience than the actual films they're riffing on. It's literally two hours of Arnie riding a horse off a building and then going "That's the joke" a la Rainier Wolfcastle. Trust me, I did get it, I just didn't buy into it.

Although, as the other poster who quoted me quite magnificently failed to comprehend, I didn't say it's the worst film ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

quickbeam wrote: »
    Not the worst film ever, but pretty darn bad alright. In fact, after several attempts, I have now officially given up on Terry Gilliam films.

Jabberwocky
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    12 Monkeys
    Brazil
    The Fisher King
    Just some of my favourite films. More than car chases and explosions. Now Fast and Furious in the other hand...
    Any grown ups on this thread?
    Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. Now THAT is a sh*t movie.

Well, electro, what is your worst film ever? This thread is not "films that were a bit rubbish" :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well, I agree Gilliam's aren't the worst ever, but I've never loved one of his films, and there are many I've hated:

The Fisher King and 12 Monkeys were good, but not outstanding.

Time Bandits was verging on bad.

Brazil was pretty bad.

And The Adventures of Baron Munchausen was a complete mess.

Just my opinion, of course. It's okay if a director's style doesn't appeal to an individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Trepass starring Nicholas Cage and Nicole Kidman. I may have seen worse but this sticks in my memory for some reason. The only reason I was watching it was that I was in a hotel somewhere in South East Asia and there was nothing else on.

Now, I quite like some of Joel Schumacher's films; Falling Down, The Lost Boys, A Time to Kill, even Batman Forever! But this is a horrible stinking mess. It's basically Nicholas Cage and the intruders that have broken into his home, shouting at each other for an hour and a half. I know, I know, that's Nicholas Cage. But this is worse than usual. Watching it, you could almost feel the contempt the actors were feeling for themselves and the atmosphere on set was apparently toxic, unsurprisingly. It's 10% Rotten Tomatoes rating is pretty generous I think.

Sorry quickbeam, I wrong that read. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I watched Lost Boys a few months back and thought it was a complete mess.

Atrocious film. Is it a satire? Google doesn't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If a film has a scene with an oiled up topless male saxophone player then it's a certifiable classic. Everyone knows that rule...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I thought The Departed was awful given the amount of talent involved in it. It has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard.

"Hows your mother?"

"She's tired from fcuking my father."

Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The amount of vulgar language in many modern films is spellbinding. I am unsure what films they were but 3 or 4 ones I saw the last few years seriously had the altered initials of French Connection UK said at least every 4th word!

Now, bad language is necessary in some films. Like. The humour of films like The Commitments without it would not be the same! Also, when there is a vile criminal who wants to threaten someone. Context is what is needed. But some suited guy in a posh office using it over and over for the sake of it and not even in a funny way is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It has to be the ringer. i walked out after 10 minutes.

At worlds end was so long and convoluted, there was a break in between. did not return after the break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I thought The Departed was awful given the amount of talent involved in it. It has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard.

"Hows your mother?"

"She's tired from fcuking my father."

Seriously?
    I like the film up to a point but it's very indicative of what is wrong with recent Scorsese. People praising coolness and edginess over substance or anything new.

For me Hugo and Shutter Island are more interesting films than The Departed and Wolf of Wall Street anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The amount of vulgar language in many modern films is spellbinding. I am unsure what films they were but 3 or 4 ones I saw the last few years seriously had the altered initials of French Connection UK said at least every 4th word!

Now, bad language is necessary in some films. Like. The humour of films like The Commitments without it would not be the same! Also, when there is a vile criminal who wants to threaten someone. Context is what is needed. But some suited guy in a posh office using it over and over for the sake of it and not even in a funny way is a different matter.

Couldn't agree more. Between the out of place and OTT bad language and the vulgarity in so many films today, it's sad. Same in most walks of life as regards entertainment. They are devoid of originality. If in doubt throw in a vulgar phrase or cuss word!

Love that film....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Jurassic World? Too soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

walshb wrote: »
    Love that film....

Agreed, but like a lot of 80s movie unless you saw it at the time it comes across as dated - although I never seem to effected like that. I'll watch some low budget flick from the 70s and still love it if only seeing it for the first time today... I guess I can just appreciate a good flick, where as a lot of people now can't get over that dated look or lack of action etc.

Lost Boys is essentially the Gooney's with Vampires for teens. It's a brilliant movie and quite a nostalgia buzz (altho I only saw it for the first time around 2000!)

.ak wrote: »
    Agreed, but like a lot of 80s movie unless you saw it at the time it comes across as dated - although I never seem to effected like that. I'll watch some low budget flick from the 70s and still love it if only seeing it for the first time today... I guess I can just appreciate a good flick, where as a lot of people now can't get over that dated look or lack of action etc.

Lost Boys is essentially the Gooney's with Vampires for teens. It's a brilliant movie and quite a nostalgia buzz (altho I only saw it for the first time around 2000!)

Lost Boys for me is a film I can watch regularly. Similar to BTTF with Michael J Fox. Feel good films. For me they haven't aged, and never will.

Lost Boys for me is a film I can watch regularly. Similar to BTTF with Michael J Fox. Feel good films. For me they haven't aged, and never will.

I rewatched Teen Wolf recently on Netflix. Jesus Louise-us, that's a terrible film… not even the glow of nostalgia could rescue that.

I rewatched Teen Wolf recently on Netflix. Jesus Louise-us, that's a terrible film… not even the glow of nostalgia could rescue that.

No way. Teen Wolf, 1985 is a classic. Never get sick of that.

e_e wrote: »
    I like the film up to a point but it's very indicative of what is wrong with recent Scorsese. People praising coolness and edginess over substance or anything new.

For me Hugo and Shutter Island are more interesting films than The Departed and Wolf of Wall Street anyway.

I'd rank Shutter Island as one of the worst movies I've watched. It was so contrived. Terrible let down from Scorcese.

• Advertisement

I'd rank Shutter Island as one of the worst movies I've watched. It was so contrived. Terrible let down from Scorcese.

Wasn't brutal, but not all that good.

Inception for me was worse!

Wasn't brutal, but not all that good.

Inception for me was worse!

I wasn't convinced with Inception but Interstellar was terrible…

Oh god, anyone seen Snow White and The Hunstman? The trailers made it out to be quiet good. It was appallingly boring. So bad! That Stewart girl is very average.

Comedy: Ted. How the fcuk did anyone find this movie funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The only film I have ever considered leaving the cinema during is Bridesmaids. I can't believe Judd Apatow had anything to do with that absolute train-wreck of a 'comedy'.

Thoroughly detestable characters and scenes ranging from disgusting (did people really find people getting sick on each other and shÍtting in sinks funny?) to just horribly awkward.

I know it has its fans, but I truly hated it.

(Actually, on googling reviews of it, it does seem to be pretty love/hate in general)

I agree. Some of Scorsese's films are way over the top, especially Wolf Of Wall Street. I believe that holds the record for the most amount of F words in a film. Shutter Island was a decent flick.

Death Proof with Kurt Russel was another dreadful one.

Big Trouble In Little China, although that was kind of so bad its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Discounting all the obviously bad films out there, I have to say 'The Big Lebowski'. I got major hate in AH a good while back over this and accused of purposely trolling, but I did not like this film at all.

I know, I know, it a just like my opinion, man, but I was so underwhelmed after it. I guess it suffered from the hype.

This thread is about the worst films made, The Big Lebowski is one of the best films ever made.

Even if you didn't get it or didn't get into it, technically it was an excellent film in terms of script, dialogue, audio, music, visuals, performance of actors etc.. Makes no sense for you to put in a thread about worst movies ever made, just 'cos you don't like it.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    This thread is about the worst films made, The Big Lebowski is one of the best films ever made.

Even if you didn't get it or didn't get into it, technically it was an excellent film in terms of script, dialogue, audio, music, visuals, performance of actors etc.. Makes no sense for you to put in a thread about worst movies ever made, just 'cos you don't like it.

The OP didn't give the parameters you set down. If he did, then there would be one answer and everyone would say the same thing.

It's a dull movie that lacks any competition for 'most over hyped movie' ever and comes second to Father Ted for annoying quotability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The OP didn't give the parameters you set down. If he did, then there would be one answer and everyone would say the same thing.

It's a dull movie that lacks any competition for 'most over hyped movie' ever and comes second to Father Ted for annoying quotability.

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

So because the movie moves into the realm of cult status and regular people quote from it you deem it to be dull:pac:. You're not making any sense at all.

As for labeling it "most hyped movie ever" again you're making no sense. The movie wasn't pre-hyped prior to it's release much at all to my recollection, it became very popular after people watched it. That's the hallmark of a very good movie, whether you like it or not.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    So because the movie moves into the realm of cult status and regular people quote from it you deem it to be dull:pac:. You're not making any sense at all.

As for labeling it "most hyped movie ever" again you're making no sense. The movie wasn't pre-hyped prior to it's release much at all to my recollection, it became very popular after people watched it. That's the hallmark of a very good movie, whether you like it or not.

I didn't mention it being dull because people quote it. If memory serves I used 'and' in that sentence.

Pre hype is not neccesary for a film to be over hyped. In this case, post hype has sufficed.

• Advertisement

I didn't mention it being dull because people quote it. If memory serves I used 'and' in that sentence.

Pre hype is not neccesary for a film to be over hyped. In this case, post hype has sufficed.
    What the fcuk are you talking about? The chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT... Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

:P:D

Sorry, but that is simply the most perfect piece of dialog ever.
    Big Lebowski is one of the most perfect movies ever made, if I could only watch one movie for the rest of time, it would have to be this.
    Walter Sobchak: Fair! WHO'S THE FCUKING NIHILIST HERE! WHAT ARE YOU, A BUNCH OF FCUKING CRYBABIES?

:P:D

Sorry, but that is simply the most perfect piece of dialog ever.
    Big Lebowski is one of the most perfect movies ever made, if I could only watch one movie for the rest of time, it would have to be this.

You're killing your father Larry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Couldn't agree more. Between the out of place and OTT bad language and the vulgarity in so many films today, it's sad. Same in most walks of life as regards entertainment. They are devoid of originality. If in doubt throw in a vulgar phrase or cuss word!

To me, it is neither necessary or funny .. but to some, even the mere mention of a certain word beginning with F makes people laugh. I am unsure when the very frequent use of curse words in films actually began but every second American film today is sure to have some loudmouth cursing away at everything for all of the film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Inception

Is it real??
    Is it a dream??
    Or is it a dream within a dream??
    I don't care.
    It's $hit and I'm turning it off.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Inception

Is it real??
    Is it a dream??
    Or is it a dream within a dream??
    I don't care.
    It's $hit and I'm turning it off.

My thoughts exactly. Ohh wait... did you just steal my dream? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Man About Dog is one of the better Irish films in recent years. Good cast, Sean McGinley is always watchable, plus they've real life heavyweight boxer Martin Rogan as his enforcer.

I thought it a load of rubbish,Sean Mcginley is a good actor but he was wasted in this.A very poor rip off of Snatch/Lock Stock with added animal cruelty.It seemed to be aimed at a particular group in Irish society who get their kicks from badger baiting and feeding live rabbits to greyhounds

elefant wrote: »
    The only film I have ever considered leaving the cinema during is Bridesmaids. I can't believe Judd Apatow had anything to do with that absolute train-wreck of a 'comedy'.

Thoroughly detestable characters and scenes ranging from disgusting (did people really find people getting sick on each other and shÍtting in sinks funny?) to just horribly awkward.

I know it has its fans, but I truly hated it.

(Actually, on googling reviews of it, it does seem to be pretty love/hate in general)

Agreed. A deplorable film. Not in any way funny. So very forced and vulagar for the sake of it.

To me, it is neither necessary or funny .. but to some, even the mere mention of a certain word beginning with F makes people laugh. I am unsure when the very frequent use of curse words in films actually began but every second American film today is sure to have some loudmouth cursing away at everything for all of the film!

And I am with you as regards curse worded being very effective at times. It's all to do with context and subtly. Using the word every couple of seconds does nothing but offend. Telling a joke or a story and a curse word being used as an emphasis point can really work well for the impact of a joke, but it's the out of context use and the forced use that is pathetic. Films and entertainment are littered with it. It shows nothing but desperation.

And I am with you as regards curse worded being very effective at times. It's all to do with context and subtly. Using the word every couple of seconds does nothing but offend. Telling a joke or a story and a curse word being used as an emphasis point can really work well for the impact of a joke, but it's the out of context use and the forced use that is pathetic. Films and entertainment are littered with it. It shows nothing but desperation.

I can't say I've ever, ever been offended by too much swearing in a movie and let's be honest, Frank Booth's 'F*ck You, You F*cking F*ck' in Blue Velvet is one of the greatest uses of swearing in cinema history. It can become a bit boring sometimes when it's used as shorthand for machismo but it's never offended me. I honestly didn't notice the swearing in the Wolf of Wolf Street. I know people were giving out about it and it holds a record for the amount of f*cks in a film but maybe it's so pervasive in the film that I just phased it out. I actually really enjoyed that film. It's completely empty, has a repugnant main character and his actions are completely deplorable but I thought it was a great watch and DiCaprio was fantastic in it. The scene with him trying to get to the car when the quaaludes kicked in is one of the funniest I've seen on film

• Advertisement

I can't say I've ever, ever been offended by too much swearing in a movie and let's be honest, Frank Booth's 'F*ck You, You F*cking F*ck' in Blue Velvet is one of the greatest uses of swearing in cinema history. It can become a bit boring sometimes when it's used as shorthand for machismo but it's never offended me. I honestly didn't notice the swearing in the Wolf of Wolf Street. I know people were giving out about it and it holds a record for the amount of f*cks in a film but maybe it's so pervasive in the film that I just phased it out. I actually really enjoyed that film. It's completely empty, has a repugnant main character and his actions are completely deplorable but I thought it was a great watch and DiCaprio was fantastic in it. The scene with him trying to get to the car when the quaaludes kicked in is one of the funniest I've seen on film

I personally wouldn't be all that offended. Just quite disappointed. It's lame. Like mentioned, every so often a cuss word really makes a scene or a line, it's juts that they seem to go way OTT which spoils a line. Same with the vulgarity in movies. Way OTT spoils!

Wolf of Wall Street did have a lot of swearing. But for some reason it worked. I enjoyed the film. There was so much going on that the swearing became invisible to me.

Take Ted. What were people laughing at? He was not remotely funny. Swearing non stop and making weird sexual comments? Who the fcuk finds this crap funny?

The swearing is the least of Wolf of Wall Street's problems tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The swearing is the least of Wolf of Wall Street's problems tbh.

Seeing a man blow cocaine up a womans ass was a first for me!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Are we really talking about swearing in cinema?

What is this, the 80's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Faith+1 wrote: »

It was going the other way. ;)

Faith+1 wrote: »

Ah, Fleetwood Mac were doing it years ago. Although that could just be rumours…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Yer man O'Carroll dressed up in a wig and a dress and substituting swearing for punchlines is a good example of entirely superfluous use of bad language. You can see where a joke should go, and there's just a blank space with swearing added. Embarrassing stuff.

However, loads of people lap it up and think it's great. I can't fathom why anymore.

check_six wrote: »
    Yer man O'Carroll dressed up in a wig and a dress and substituting swearing for punchlines is a good example of entirely superfluous use of bad language. You can see where a joke should go, and there's just a blank space with swearing added. Embarrassing stuff.

However, loads of people lap it up and think it's great. I can't fathom why anymore.

Then there are other comedians like Pryor or Bill Burr that elevate swearing to an artform and it's integral to the flow of their comedy imo.

There are comedians who swear and it fits it. It seems natural. Chris Rock is one. Bernard Manning was another. They know how and when to throw the swear word in. Then there's the Tommy Tiernan's who are just plain chav like when they swear.

The Mrs. Brown's Boys example is spot on. Devoid of comedy. Swearing for the sake of it whilst dressed as an owl one is just not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Has anyone mentioned "Manos: The Hands Of Fate"?

Check out the opening sequence: just a car driving for about 10 minutes. They forgot to put the opening credits on top of it.

Manos in Spanish means "hands", so essentially the movie is called "Hands: The Hands Of Fate".

• The Box

Awful "Horror" Movie and two hours of my life wasted

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362478/

• Advertisement
Advertisement