Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to register as a Sole Trader?

Options
  • 08-06-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to register as a sole trader, but have no idea how to do that?

Do I do it through CRO website?

What form do I have to fill in?

I understand this is the right way of doing things If I want to set up my own on-line store, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/self_employment/setting_up_a_business_in_ireland.html

Has all the info you should need. You need to register for tax and register the business name unless you plan on trading under your own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Wicked131

jimmii wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/self_employment/setting_up_a_business_in_ireland.html

Has all the info you should need. You need to register for tax and register the business name unless you plan on trading under your own name.

So register the company name through CRO, and then register for tax using form TR1 and I'm ready to go?

What will change for me If I'll still be employed full time?

Wicked131 wrote: »
    So register the company name through CRO, and then register for tax using form TR1 and I'm ready to go?

What will change for me If I'll still be employed full time?

Yeh TR1 for tax and RBN1 to register the business name. Only real change will be being responsible for your own tax returns! You'll have to declare your additional income and your PAYE income at the end of the year and pay any additional tax due on income from the business.

Yeh TR1 for tax and RBN1 to register the business name. Only real change will be being responsible for your own tax returns! You'll have to declare your additional income and your PAYE income at the end of the year and pay any additional tax due on income from the business.

Thanks pal, you are very helpful.

And can I do this on-line? I can't really find any info about this.

Yeh register on ros and cro. Ros takes a while as they have to post out passwords and stuff and then you download a certificate on your computer cro is nice and simple! I was in your position not so long ago there is a lot of info out there but its not always put together in a way that makes sense!

Once you get all the technical stuff out the way you can get to the fun money making bit!

What is it you are planning on doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You would do well to look at the taxation side of running a business.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/running/registering-tax.html

Yeh register on ros and cro. Ros takes a while as they have to post out passwords and stuff and then you download a certificate on your computer cro is nice and simple! I was in your position not so long ago there is a lot of info out there but its not always put together in a way that makes sense!

Once you get all the technical stuff out the way you can get to the fun money making bit!

What is it you are planning on doing?

Thanks for all your help, I have submitted form to CRO to get my business name registered, tried to register for tax through ROS but it won't let me do it, I have to send TR1 form in the post.

I can't tell you at this stage what I'm planning to do, maybe at a later date :D
    You would do well to look at the taxation side of running a business.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/running/registering-tax.html

Handy. Thanks

You should do a start your own business course at your local enterprise office it will cover a lot of the basics and is definitely worth time to do. They also run courses on bookkeeping and taxation that you will probably find handy as well.

Advertisement