Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting 12lb test line on a spinning rod

Options
  • 08-06-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I was wondering if I am able to put 12lb line on a rod which I usually have 6 lb line on it.I have got the rod ages ago and I was told it is ok with 6lb.I think it is 4-8lb but could I put 12lb on it without it breaking?

Is the line rating just marketing BS as I have heard elsewhere or is it important?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What is the rod?

And what is the reel?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

What is the rod?

And what is the reel?

Mitchell gt pro spin 212 fibreglass blanks.It is 7-20g casting weight.

The reel I have 12lb loaded on has line rating 12-20lb line and I was wondering if I could put on the 12 lb line so I could go for salmon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Geez, you two don't stick with one method or one species too long do you? You'll never learn by all this swapping and changing.:rolleyes:

Anyway, yes the reel will take it as will the rod.

Geez, you two don't stick with one method or one species too long do you? You'll never learn by all this swapping and changing.:rolleyes:

Anyway, yes the reel will take it as will the rod.

Very Sound advice!Thanks for the help.I fly fish mostly but I spin from now and then.

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Once the clutch on the reel is adjusted correctly you'll have no problem. I see loads of guys locking up the drag on a fixed spool reel and never adjust it again. In your case op Id set the drag to slip just before the rod locks into a j curve. That way you wont break the rod or put too much pressure on a fish.

• Advertisement

Once the clutch on the reel is adjusted correctly you'll have no problem. I see loads of guys locking up the drag on a fixed spool reel and never adjust it again. In your case op Id set the drag to slip just before the rod locks into a j curve. That way you wont break the rod or put too much pressure on a fish.

Thanks for that help.

Advertisement