Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to quite drinking because its preventing me from achieving my fitness goals

• 08-06-2015 11:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭

I am quite overweight and would like advice on how to go about quitting the booze because I want to lose the weight and get in great shape

My drink of choice is primarily Red wine, I have on average a bottle of night. I love coming home after a log day at work and cracking open a bottle with something very nice to eat with it like crackers and cheese or a rossitare chicken and fresh rolls or a nice pizza

This is relaxing for me and a comfort, I don't really drink to get drunk and I am not into spirits.

I know for a fact the above foods don't really appeal to me without the wine

I don't go out that much, when I do I drink pints with friends every month or do

I would love to just give it up and fully immerse myself into a life of weight-training and eating healthy

My problem is that I am living a fairly boring life , I am late 30's , single, work all week and basically do nothing at the weekend and drinking the wine at home gives me comfort

Of course I will get recommendations to join clubs and there are plenty of past-times , but all these things take place during the day. I still have to come home to my apartment at night which is when I feel just downright bored, so the wine is a release

I believe in my heart of hearts if I stopped drinking and started doing want I know , I could get a body like Chris Helmsworth , Chris Evans or Henry Cavil in those super hero movies

I guess its a case I don't want it badly enough or I truly have an addiction problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Most clubs meet in the evenings, when everybody has finished work.

Stop inventing excuses. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You can acheive fitness and have some wine, just maybe not a bottle per night, I wish you good luck in your endeavour.

Over the course of a week, I drink a similar amount of alcohol units and I am in good shape (male, 28). My exercise consists of weeknight jogs & maximum 2 gym sessions per week. I also walk to and from work (about 3km each way) and eat an otherwise healthy diet (lots of white meat and veg)

Why not cut back on the wine until you get your weight in order?

Once you stabilise it, think about rewarding yourself with wine as an incentive.

Or switch to cocktails, or convertible units of spirits, which unit-for-unit, tend to have less calories? (obviously don't drink a bottle of vodka per night:pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭Cody montana

A bottle a day is far too excessive.

Go for a walk instead of drinking wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The problem with drinking a bottle of wine every night is not just the potential for damage to your liver but the effect it has on your willpower and motivation.

Why not take it in stages and set yourself realistic goals ?

Give it up the drink for a month and commit to 30 mins brisk walk every day for that month.

You might be surprised at the changes....

Without the alcohol you'll start to feel better and your sleep should improve. As you start to exercise more you'll find that you'll want to eat a little healthier. As your weight drops you'll be motivated to keep going and continue losing weight. It's a vicious cycle without the viciousness.

There are plenty of resources out there to help you. I would suggest listening to a hypnotherapy app every evening going to sleep. Aside from it being a very relaxing way to nod off, you should start to notice subtle differences in your motivation. Holo Sync Hypnotherapy is even more effective but the apps cost a little more.

Ultimately it's your body and your life. If you want to make positive changes you will have to take a leap of faith at some stage. You could try drinking less but for most people on here we have found that moderating our alcohol intake just doesn't provide the same benefits and it's all too easy to slip into old patterns.

So my advise is stop making excuses. Download a hypno app and decide to make the change from today then just go do it. Today. It's not as bad as you think it will be and you may find you get much more then a slimmer body such as improved confidence, self esteem, improved health etc etc etc.

You won't know till you try....

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

So you say you're drinking the wine because it makes that food taste better. Well you're overweight because you're eating that food, so stop eating that food and you won't "need" the wine!

Like most overweight people you're just making excuses. If you really wanted to be fit then you wouldn't feel the need to post this thread, which to me seems like you're looking for some other easy out that doesn't involve giving up junk food. As you said, you just don't want it enough.

Advertisement